• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Rick Pitino Talks TCU and The Big East

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Rick Pitino Talks TCU and The Big East

Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

Spoke to Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino today as part of some gathering for a story on Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle.

But I took the chance to Pitino a few questions about TCU's inclusion into the Big East, which will happen in about one year.

Big Steaming Pile: What was your reaction to the Big East's decision to add TCU?

Rick Pitino: We felt it was purely a football decision. One of my very worst experiences was traveling to TCU and getting killed there. We were in Conference USA (it was a 71-46 loss on Feb. 17, 2004). It was one of those nights that nothing went well for us and everything went right for them. It was a horrible experience. It really was one of the worst experiences of my coaching career. ...

Limp Lizard

A lot of opposing coaches have very bad memories of DMC. Hopefully when it is expanded they will be able to keep, or even improve, the acoustics there. I remember the one time Utah played there under Majerus, he said that DCM was the toughest arena he had ever played in. Whenever we had good teams, especially under Killer and Billy, going to DMC was a nightmare. I am still optimistic that Christian will be able to turn the program around. If he does, we will probably see 20+ point losses away and wins at home, even by big scores. That will probably be step #1. Then work can begin on making the team good on the road. Tough league, but if we can win, we will be a power in the three main sports!

SnoSki

i will definitely be going to more games next season and especially in our first BE season. i would love to dmc get rockin again.

OmniscienceFrog

A lot of opposing coaches have very bad memories of DMC. Hopefully when it is expanded.....

I'm wondering now how they could ever expand DMC. It's going to be pinned in by the Meyer-Martin on one side and now the weight training facility on the other. They might be able to expand the concourse in the front but no way they can do it all the way around now.

impevan

Rick might have added that he successfully recruited JC to play for him at Boston University but then left to go to the Knicks.

Pitino left Boston University for Providence University (not the Knicks) shortly after he recruited JC to play for him. Leaving JC stuck at BU with John Kuester (now the head coach of the PIstons). Pitino then coached Billy Donovan at Providence and made him a star.

general125

I put the final score from the scoreboard from that game in the yearbook that year. It was the best game of basketball I've witnessed at TCU in the last ten years.

Thanks for the memories, Patino.

TCUFrogs

"For a guy like (TCU coach) Jimmy Christian - we went to the same high school, although at different times - he's taken a TCU job and he's building the thing and then all of a sudden he turns around and he's in the Big East. It's awesome from a recruiting standpoint, but, and he knows this, this is a very, very difficult basketball league."

So Pitino and Christian went to the same high school and know each other...

Actually, Rick left Boston University to be Hubie's assistant in 1983, the year JC graduated high school. He then got the Providence head coaching job. After his success there, he became the head coach of the Knicks.

halfwaytoheaven

I'm wondering now how they could ever expand DMC. It's going to be pinned in by the Meyer-Martin on one side and now the weight training facility on the other. They might be able to expand the concourse in the front but no way they can do it all the way around now.

Tear it down and build elsewhere? The site of the current Bellaire Apartments looks about the right size for an arena. Just a suggestion.

Why exactly do y'all give Native credit for being Mac?

Credit isn't the word some would use.

SnoopFrogs11

It will be interesting to see how the basketball team evolves next year with the incoming players JC recruited. Hopefully, we our last year in the Mountain West will be a good one. Time will tell if we get these top level talent in 2012.