• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Pachall still battling Brown for TCU quarterback job

cdsfrog

Unless I missed the announcement, Patterson hasn't named a starter yet. You speak as if he has.

Am I mistaken?

He was named #1 on the depth chart since day 1 of spring training and nothing has changed. If you really think Patterson is going to change the depth chart 10 days from game 1, you are nuts. That being said, if Casey get's injured or sucks big time MB may not be far behind.

Boykins isn't even in the equation, traveling redshirt. MB has improved greatly, but he had nowhere to go but up from his horrid spring performance, not to much he's shorter with a weaker arm.

Deep Purple

He was named #1 on the depth chart since day 1 of spring training and nothing has changed. If you really think Patterson is going to change the depth chart 10 days from game 1, you are nuts.
cds, I've been watching Patterson closely for the entire 10 years he has been TCU head coach -- since you were in high school. Until the first game is played, his depth chart is ALWAYS provisional. He's never "locked in" to any particular player. That's his genius. He's committed to his scheme, and he selects the players that best fit his scheme -- not necessarily the players who exhibit the greatest skills or athleticism. It all depends on how they fit the scheme.

"Matt and Casey are neck and neck to be the starter. There's no such thing as a backup. Matt moved the ball just as well, or better, than Casey did today. ... The time being out hurt Casey. Matt got a lot better. That's what you do. You don't worry about the guy that's not here. You make the next guys better; that's what big programs are about."
-- Gary Patterson

When asked what Pachall is doing that he doesn't like, Patterson said, "Not being a leader. We've got to have leaders. I'm looking for people who want to fight for four quarters, not just play the position. I want people to fight. It could be anybody. I want the best one. I don't care where it comes from, but it always helps if the quarterback is a leader."
-- Gary Patterson

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
He was named #1 on the depth chart since day 1 of spring training and nothing has changed. If you really think Patterson is going to change the depth chart 10 days from game 1, you are nuts. That being said, if Casey get's injured or sucks big time MB may not be far behind.

Boykins isn't even in the equation, traveling redshirt. MB has improved greatly, but he had nowhere to go but up from his horrid spring performance, not to much he's shorter with a weaker arm.

Despite what CGP says to the media, barring injury CP will start at Baylor. All the rest is CGP being CGP from the pages of his media motivational techniques.

HFrog1999

CGP from the pages of his media motivational techniques.
th8chris-farley.gif

jake102

But the kicker is, Patterson's not just posturing. He's honestly talking turkey here. If Pachal earns the starting spot, it's his. But if Boykin or Brown earns it, it's his. There's no predetermined commitment to starting Casey Pachal.

If Pachal really wants to start as the Frogs' offensive captain, he needs to realize CGP is looking for more than just a strong arm, good legs, and athleticism. He's looking for at least two other things: 1) Mature judgement, 2) Commanding leadership. There's no room here for the strong, silent type. That does the team no good at all. Patterson wants a vocal leader who can motivate the team and who doesn't go wobbly under pressure -- man who can assess the situation in an instant, figure out what needs to be done, and hold the offense accountable for executing.

Pachal obviously has the arm, legs, and athleticism. I suspect Patterson is still looking for consistent good judgement and strong leadership.

I don't know where you guys have heard of this Pachal guy... I'm pretty sure Pachall will be starting against Baylor. Maybe Pachal can compete with Matt Brown for the backup position.

FROGDADDY

cds, I've been watching Patterson closely for the entire 10 years he has been TCU head coach -- since you were in high school. Until the first game is played, his depth chart is ALWAYS provisional. He's never "locked in" to any particular player. That's his genius. He's committed to his scheme, and he selects the players that best fit his scheme -- not necessarily the players who exhibit the greatest skills or athleticism. It all depends on how they fit the scheme.

"Matt and Casey are neck and neck to be the starter. There's no such thing as a backup. Matt moved the ball just as well, or better, than Casey did today. ... The time being out hurt Casey. Matt got a lot better. That's what you do. You don't worry about the guy that's not here. You make the next guys better; that's what big programs are about."
-- Gary Patterson

When asked what Pachall is doing that he doesn't like, Patterson said, "Not being a leader. We've got to have leaders. I'm looking for people who want to fight for four quarters, not just play the position. I want people to fight. It could be anybody. I want the best one. I don't care where it comes from, but it always helps if the quarterback is a leader."
-- Gary Patterson

"Tommy Blake has the flu" - Gary Patterson. If you think the quotes that GP gives the papers are the full truth you haven't been following that closely.

cdsfrog

Despite what CGP says to the media, barring injury CP will start at Baylor. All the rest is CGP being CGP from the pages of his media motivational techniques.

Exactly, not sure how Deep doesnt understand this since he has following patterson since I was in highschool......

:biggrin:

talor

"Tommy Blake has the flu" - Gary Patterson. If you think the quotes that GP gives the papers are the full truth you haven't been following that closely.

Whoa whoa whoa. That is an easy mistake to make. GP was just giving a prognosis based on the symptoms. Tommy had cold, clammy hands. That is a flu symptom. However, it turns out that Tommy's hands were cold and clammy due to the massive amounts of ice cream he was consuming.

FROGDADDY

Whoa whoa whoa. That is an easy mistake to make. GP was just giving a prognosis based on the symptoms. Tommy had cold, clammy hands. That is a flu symptom. However, it turns out that Tommy's hands were cold and clammy due to the massive amounts of ice cream he was consuming.

Sometimes I just watch that little squirrel (or whatever that is) stare at me for a minute or so.