• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Max Duggan opens up on returning to TCU football, competing for quarterback job

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Max Duggan opens up on returning to TCU football, competing for quarterback job

duggan1.jpg

BY DREW DAVISON

Senior quarterback Max Duggan has started 29 of the last 32 games for TCU.

It’s not a given that he’ll make start No. 30, though. Duggan is a candidate for the starting job in 2022, but he will have to play his way into keeping the top spot throughout spring practices and fall camp with the program now being overseen by first-year coach Sonny Dykes.

Duggan is OK with that as he never considered leaving TCU after the school parted ways with longtime coach Gary Patterson on Oct. 31.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article259660355.html#storylink=cpy

Palliative Care

With a completely new coaching staff every player starter or not has to audition for a starting spot. Given that the HC and some of their staff at least know these players by having had games against them, this could be a good thing or a bad thing. I think by now many players who just did not fit the schemes used by the offense and defense have parted ways with TCU. So in short very few players have a lock just yet on a starting job. It will be interesting to see how thing shake out this spring. Also it may be telling how many of what kind of players are brought in over the summer from portal land. I think players like Max will be tested even though they have played key roles in the past.

4th. down

I think you're right. Dykes said regarding the QB position, "we are just going to roll the ball out and see what happens."

I was in school in the '60's right at the end of the Abe Martin regime and I would have to say that Sonny Dykes is the most CEO type as a head football coach that we have had coming forward. Now, let's see if that translates into the win column. We are going to score but can we stop anyone? Better hit the portal for a couple of interior defensive linemen and then we've got a chance to do something.

Palliative Care

I agree with you 4th Down. Defense is key and you cannot have enough big bodies upfront. If we are all offense and little defense next season, it will be a long year full of high scores and game ending let downs. You build highlights with offense and winning teams with defense. Last year's defense contributed a great deal to our poor showing. With this new system on defense the three down linemen need to win the battle upfront to limit the run and force 3rd and long. It takes big men with toughness and an attitude to pull it off and it all starts with the nose tackle. This also means you need very capable twos and threes. Rotations with fresh legs will be important.

4th. down

I agree with you 4th Down. Defense is key and you cannot have enough big bodies upfront. If we are all offense and little defense next season, it will be a long year full of high scores and game ending let downs. You build highlights with offense and winning teams with defense. Last year's defense contributed a great deal to our poor showing. With this new system on defense the three down linemen need to win the battle upfront to limit the run and force 3rd and long. It takes big men with toughness and an attitude to pull it off and it all starts with the nose tackle. This also means you need very capable twos and threes. Rotations with fresh legs will be important.
I'll add one more thought......not on the offensive side, but the defensive attitude was terrible last year. After the SMU and Texas game, they quit imo except for Baylor......they wanted that one, so that proves, when they wanted to play they could. I don't think Dykes will put up with that lackadaisical attitude going forward. He's kinda talked about it and it appears if that's the way you're going to play, then you are not getting into the game.

Palliative Care

Yes they quit and yes when they played Baylor they put out the effort and it showed. Baylor was one of the conference's best offensive teams.
We had the advantage of playing at home and possibly there was a attitude that came over them after Gary left. Still after that game the season was over for many on the team and they just mailed it in from there. Don't get me wrong others played hard but the defense overall really performed poorly at the end. It was a real let down to watch them not even come close to winning game number 6 and a bowl berth.
I do believe Dykes won't put up with that lack of effort. I also wondered if players left because they know this about him too. The last part applies to the team members as a whole. Poor attitudes make losers of us all.

FrogCop19

Yes they quit and yes when they played Baylor they put out the effort and it showed. Baylor was one of the conference's best offensive teams.
We had the advantage of playing at home and possibly there was a attitude that came over them after Gary left. Still after that game the season was over for many on the team and they just mailed it in from there. Don't get me wrong others played hard but the defense overall really performed poorly at the end. It was a real let down to watch them not even come close to winning game number 6 and a bowl berth.
I do believe Dykes won't put up with that lack of effort. I also wondered if players left because they know this about him too. The last part applies to the team members as a whole. Poor attitudes make losers of us all.
images

(Sorry, VirginaFrog...I know we had an earlier conversation about this movie, but the quote fits perfectly.)

**Edited to say that I agree with PC's last paragraph, prompting the image above. I believe Dykes will do things he hasn't been able to accomplish in his other stops because of the foundation that was here before his arrival. I think "termites" had gotten in the frame, but the foundation was strong, and I think the pests have been/are in the process of being eliminated.

Last edited: