• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Jamie Dixon’s tenure at TCU is shaping up like his time at Pittsburgh

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Jamie Dixon’s tenure at TCU is shaping up like his time at Pittsburgh​

Big Steaming Pile

USATSI_22842399.jpg

If Jamie Dixon left TCU today he can confidently say he left the program in much better shape than when he arrived. He took over the worst job in major college basketball and the team is now consistently competitive.

Twenty win seasons. Decent conference record. National relevance. Nice regular season wins. NCAA Tournaments. Produced some NBA players.

Now he’s at that point in a coaching tenure where all of this feels like not enough.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/ncaa/article287025425.html

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...ng-up-like-his-time-at-pittsburgh/ar-BB1koeoK

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

I don't buy that JD "took over the worst job in major college basketball." The arena had been reno'ed. He inherited players like Vlady, Kenrich, JD Miller and A-Rob. Enough to win the NIT his first year ('16-'17.) Sorry. Not buying that.
But I trust he'll do a decent roster rebuild for next year.

Last edited:

froginmn

I don't buy that JD "took over the worst job in major college basketball." The arena had been reno'ed. He inherited players like Vlady, Kenrich, JD Miller and A-Rob. Enough to win the NIT his first year ('16-'17.) Sorry. Not buying that.
I don't think it was the worst or all that close to it. But we'd won a total of 8 Big 12 games in the four years prior. CJD did an excellent job to bring us to respectability so quickly. He's kept us very consistent without having a "great" year, which might be to his detriment from a fan perception perspective.

Froggy Style

People like pile ran off Tubbs after we thought we should be winning more. Then we saw what losing really looked like.

CJD ain’t Coach K, but we won’t see a coach worth a crap for 15 years if we run him off. Pile just going for more shock value/ Big Tex school ego stroking.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
People like pile ran off Stubbs after we thought we should be winning more. Then we saw what losing really looked like.

CJD ain’t Coach K, but we won’t see a coach worth a crap for 15 years if we run him off. Pile just going for more shock value/ Big Tex school ego stroking.
Yeah shouldn't have run him off, I miss his BBQ sauce.

In seriousness though, that was my era of school, Billyball, exciting stuff. CJD has pretty much brought that back, with a few disappointments (Tubbs had his too) Given his recruiting and portal capabilities, to me it feels more like one year he could hit the right combination and do something special. Maybe not a HR every time like a select few hall of fame coaches, but occasionally. The lost-to-AZ team could have been one of those squads had they gotten the fair shake at the end.

Rose Bowl

We were easily the worst program in a power conference when we came into the Big 12. We still have a ways to go but there is no doubt we have come a long way.

East Coast

Tier 1
I don't think it was the worst or all that close to it. But we'd won a total of 8 Big 12 games in the four years prior. CJD did an excellent job to bring us to respectability so quickly. He's kept us very consistent without having a "great" year, which might be to his detriment from a fan perception perspective.
It may not have been the worst job, but it was the worst program.
In the Tubbs vs Jamie comparison, it's hard to compare, as Eric Hyman didn't want Tubbs, and gave him minimal support, certainly nothing like what has been done for Jamie.