• The KillerFrogs

FWST: How Utah State embarrassed TCU, sending Horned Frogs home from NCAA tournament

TCUdirtbag

I’m sure the millions you are giving to NIL will right the ship, tough guy.
Not being tough, just living in 2024. Sorry honest dialogue hurts some people’s feelings.

Many here are stuck in 2004-2014 ways of thinking. Or earlier. I’m not saying the 2024 college sports reality is all positive—just that it’s very different.

IMO the loud stuck-in-the-past voices so prevalent here criticizing the modern reality of college sports and drowning out those living in the present/future is a large part of why this board has become a fraction of its former self.

Not being tough, just living in 2024. Sorry honest dialogue hurts some people’s feelings.

Many here are stuck in 2004-2014 ways of thinking. Or earlier. I’m not saying the 2024 college sports reality is all positive—just that it’s very different.

IMO the loud stuck-in-the-past voices so prevalent here criticizing the modern reality of college sports and drowning out those living in the present/future is a large part of why this board has become a fraction of its former self.
Well let me put it another way.

Pitt with Dixon: 11 NCAA appearances in 13 seasons.
Pitt in the 8 years since: 1 NCAA appearance.

That's called regression.

TCU before Dixon: 7 appearances in 77 years, 2 wins (the first NCAA tourney was in 1939).
TCU with Dixon: 4 appearances in 8 years, 2 wins.

Dixon is a godsend to TCU basketball. I don't want to go back to the days of going 3-15 in conference play and hoping for a CBI bid.

I'll take 9-9 in this conference and going to the NCAAs, and hope to continually improve, which we have. We had one NCAA appearance in JD's first 5 seasons, 3 appearances in the last 3. That's improvement.

An-Cap Frog

Well let me put it another way.

Pitt with Dixon: 11 NCAA appearances in 13 seasons.
Pitt in the 8 years since: 1 NCAA appearance.

That's called regression.

TCU before Dixon: 7 appearances in 77 years, 2 wins (the first NCAA tourney was in 1939).
TCU with Dixon: 4 appearances in 8 years, 2 wins.

Dixon is a godsend to TCU basketball. I don't want to go back to the days of going 3-15 in conference play and hoping for a CBI bid.

I'll take 9-9 in this conference and going to the NCAAs, and hope to continually improve, which we have. We had one NCAA appearance in JD's first 5 seasons, 3 appearances in the last 3. That's improvement.
You could even argue that we were one player away from 11+ wins in conference.

froginmn

OK, then why don't you show your math?

What do we get for what level of investment?

In the last three years we've had an NCG appearance in football, a trip to Omaha in baseball, and three appearances in the NCAA tournament in basketball.

What more should we spend, and what will we get?

tetonfrog

OK - so we force CJD out - who replaces him? And how do you know it will be better under the new coach? You don't. You're just throwing trash at CJD and hope it sticks. We were a blown call away from upsetting Arizona three years ago, got burned by Eddie quitting late in the season and this year we just seemed to run out of gas at the end of the season.

And my feelings are not hurt by your take on it. You want a new coach - fine. How about K-State's Jerome Tang?

He made the Elite 8 last year when his PG got hot in the tourney. However, he missed out of the tourney this year and loses five seniors/transfers. Does that make him a better coach than CJD? Whose team has a brighter future?

Limey Frog

TCU made it to the NCAA tournament three years in a row for the first time in their history. Complaining about that is ridiculous. Only a delusional idiot would consider this season a failure.
The season overall and in historic context may not be bad, but we were six minutes away from progressing to 8-5 in conference with a remaining schedule that included four very winnable games plus a top team we'd already beaten in their gym. Going 2-4 from that moment then not Even putting up a fight against Houston and Utah State in our tournament loses is a huge disappointment. This team was in position to do better but kept losing games in the same predictable manner. When it mattered the team had no collective heart or will.

An-Cap Frog

I think this year’s team maxed out early with what talent it had. Gotta get better players.
Kind of believe this as well. Miller was our best player, the problem is that you need 1-2 more Miller quality players to make a deep tourney run. And I'm not saying that the rest of the roster was not filled with talented players, but you need more Miller level players.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Dixon's not going anywhere.

I have no idea what the internal chemistry of this Frog team is, but they collapsed at the end of the season, and didn't seem to have a lot of energy in Round 1 of the NCAA Tourney. Just going through the motions. How one motivates a team, or gets them to buy into a vision is something that has eluded this year's outfit. Great things were expected out of this season, and it was... meh.

Froggy Style

The season overall and in historic context may not be bad, but we were six minutes away from progressing to 8-5 in conference with a remaining schedule that included four very winnable games plus a top team we'd already beaten in their gym. Going 2-4 from that moment then not Even putting up a fight against Houston and Utah State in our tournament loses is a huge disappointment. This team was in position to do better but kept losing games in the same predictable manner. When it mattered the team had no collective heart or will.
We lost the two best guards we've had in a long time as well as our center that was expected to be here. I think CJD did a pretty good job of putting together some experienced replacements, but the Kansas Center was a dud on offense and the other guards were serviceable, but not good enough for the tourney. Tennyson fizzled out at the end of the year. No shooters, average guard play, and 2-8 points from the 5 position isn't really a team that should be expected to get to the second round.

I really liked Peavy, Miller, and Nelson...but you need some three point sharp shooters...and it would be helpful if they could pass the ball and play a little defense. We had none of that this year.

I do enjoy gearing up for the tournament...which really sucked not happening for 2000-2014 or whatever.

Limey Frog

We lost the two best guards we've had in a long time as well as our center that was expected to be here. I think CJD did a pretty good job of putting together some experienced replacements, but the Kansas Center was a dud on offense and the other guards were serviceable, but not good enough for the tourney. Tennyson fizzled out at the end of the year. No shooters, average guard play, and 2-8 points from the 5 position isn't really a team that should be expected to get to the second round.

I really liked Peavy, Miller, and Nelson...but you need some three point sharp shooters...and it would be helpful if they could pass the ball and play a little defense. We had none of that this year.

I do enjoy gearing up for the tournament...which really sucked not happening for 2000-2014 or whatever.
I don't disagree. Considering the departure of Mike Miles, who was the engine of the team last year, 9-9 with a tourney bid wasn't a bad outcome. But this team was solidly in position to do better, and looked at one point to have the talent necessary to do better. Then they didn't. That really sucked. I'm not discouraged by it, nor do I think it bodes ill for the trajectory of this program. I just really hated watching this team implode over the past six weeks.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Wut?

They have 12 tournament appearances in 17 years and numerous years as a 3 seed or better, plus a beautiful new arena.

Their history gives them a reputation that benefits them at seeding time.

We're building, but we're not equal to them yet.
I meant in terms of university resources. Their new stadium (which I dislike) does help them, and their reputation of course.

Toad Jones

Dixon's not going anywhere.

I have no idea what the internal chemistry of this Frog team is, but they collapsed at the end of the season, and didn't seem to have a lot of energy in Round 1 of the NCAA Tourney. Just going through the motions. How one motivates a team, or gets them to buy into a vision is something that has eluded this year's outfit. Great things were expected out of this season, and it was... meh.
You stomped on the right toe, BF. I thought the season went down hill mainly because some of these guys just got tired of playing basketball. Also, the other indicator was the careless turnovers. Right before the half, three turnovers. Two by the same guy. This game will down hill in a hurry. All it takes is one guy to ruin the game for everyone else. Anyway, they had enough bB for the year.

East Coast

Tier 1
Oh look, the olds are out saying “back in my day!”

It’s 2024 and TCU is one of the biggest spending programs in major college sports. Nobody should give a scheiss how bad we were generations ago - or even 10 years ago. We should be seeing ROI. Like it or not, college sports is a business.
I guess I'm one of those "olds", I think the mistake this year was Jamie tried to cobble together a competitive team through the portal. Based on the talent he was able to bring in at guard, I would rather this year had been a rebuilding year. This is his best "coaching" job while at TCU, but once the book was out on our weaknesses, we were effectively done.

Utah State obviously scouted us, and knew exactly what to do to kill us. It seemed like by the end of the year only Peavy, Miller, Udeh, and Chuck were even trying to play defense.

I hope the young guys play next year, because I hate bringing in mediocre transfers to play over the top of your younger guys, stunting their growth and causing them to transfer out.

Latest posts