• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Here’s what TCU’s Patterson, Bolisomi said about holding call at end of Baylor game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Here’s what TCU’s Patterson, Bolisomi said about holding call at end of Baylor game

By Drew Davison

It didn’t come down to just one play, but TCU coach Gary Patterson wasn’t overly pleased with a holding call late in the Frogs’ 29-23 triple-overtime loss to Baylor on Saturday.

Patterson revisited the play during his media luncheon on Tuesday, saying the Big 12 informed him officials shouldn’t have made the call.

Officials called holding on TCU right tackle David Bolisomi on a third-and-goal from the Baylor 4 in the third overtime. Bolisomi appeared to grab Baylor defensive tackle James Lynch’s jersey, negating what would have been a 2-yard run by Darius Anderson.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article237299304.html#storylink=cpy

Limp Lizard

There were also a lot of calls against Baylor. Rather than bias, it reminds me of CUSA officiating, and from what I see on TV, AAC officiating: Bad games because the officials call every ticky-tacky foul, while still missing obvious calls. When you do that, it also makes any calls you should call but don't really stand out, and open to claims of bias.

I wonder if that style is due to lack of experience/confidence, or is a principal belief of the crew's leadership.

Pharm Frog

There were also a lot of calls against Baylor. Rather than bias, it reminds me of CUSA officiating, and from what I see on TV, AAC officiating: Bad games because the officials call every ticky-tacky foul, while still missing obvious calls. When you do that, it also makes any calls you should call but don't really stand out, and open to claims of bias.

I wonder if that style is due to lack of experience/confidence, or is a principal belief of the crew's leadership.

It isn't lack of experience. That leaves two options from your list.

Limp Lizard

It isn't lack of experience. That leaves two options from your list.
Well, some crews have to be more experienced than others, don't they? But it just may be the officials like to call a lot of penalties. I personally think it makes for an ugly game. I would much rather see a game where they "let them play."

I have watched bits of a few AAC games this year, and I see things that remind me too much of our days in CUSA: nobody could get into a rhythm due to all the penalties called.

Pharm Frog

Well, some crews have to be more experienced than others, don't they? But it just may be the officials like to call a lot of penalties. I personally think it makes for an ugly game. I would much rather see a game where they "let them play."

I have watched bits of a few AAC games this year, and I see things that remind me too much of our days in CUSA: nobody could get into a rhythm due to all the penalties called.

Correct. Not all officials have the exact same tenure. But if inexperience is simply being not the most experienced then it’s gonna be tough to schedule a season.

Limp Lizard

Correct. Not all officials have the exact same tenure. But if inexperience is simply being not the most experienced then it’s gonna be tough to schedule a season.
What I was saying, actually wondering, are less experienced officials who are new to this level of officiating more prone to calling more penalties? It does seem that some crews call a lot more penalties than others.