• The KillerFrogs

FWST: HBO Real Sports piece on TCU won't be a good look... for the school or Gary Patterson

The TCU Football Jerk

P.S.
I do enjoy real sports and HBO when I subscribe to it but there are not very many shows to make it worth while. Netflix is taking over the world anyway.

Until Disneyflix gets rolling. Seriously. They are starting their own. I'd be terrified to own a movie theater right now.

And Netflix is using high interest junk bonds and has accumulated over 8 billion in debt while still burning through a billion+ a year.

Last edited:

Sebastian S

The colts better draft a badass wide receiver in case they can't depend on one of their WR to play "injured" - maybe he can learn a thing or 2 about toughness from Andrew Luck

One trying to pressure the deep-pocketed, tight-lipped university to settle with a bunch of bad publicity.

And it’s possible the firm is also trying to market itself to get more clients:

So he lied again. He said he had to play or get his scholarship taken away (in the UT game where TCU was up by a lot after the 1st q ) now it changed to get a bad NFL recommendation. You know they are lying when they change the story .

MTfrog5

So he lied again. He said he had to play or get his scholarship taken away (in the UT game where TCU was up by a lot after the 1st q ) now it changed to get a bad NFL recommendation. You know they are lying when they change the story .
Not clicking on that link but anything else worth noting or is it the same BS he said on Outside the Lines? Wish someone would ask him about the multiple physicals he passed to at the combine and for NFL teams

Wexahu

In all honesty I'm not sure KL ever wanted to play in the NFL. Sure, he wanted the money and the fame and all the other perks that go along with it, but as far as actually playing in games and sacrificing your body (which ALL NFL players do every time they enter a game) and being the tough SOB you have to be to play in that league, I'm not sure he really wanted that. He'd have been perfectly content stashed away on a roster and constantly being "dinged up" and unable to play but collecting weekly checks.

I said after he was drafted and was sitting out practices that I wasn't sure he had the toughness to play in the league and I pretty much got roasted on here. I'm wrong about a lot of things but I think I was right about that. He's a track guy who wants football money. The timing of this lawsuit would even suggest that, he didn't sue until he couldn't stay on a roster.

Sebastian S

Doesn't make sense.

Most the "hard work" is done in practice, that is where you earn and keep your roster spot. Playing on Sunday is the reward.

You don't keep a roster spot if you don't practice, especially for an unproven product like Listenbee.

tcumaniac

People forget that Boykin also sat out that Oklahoma game in 2015 and then played the next week in that terrible weather and looked 100% fine. Why would Gary force an average wide receiver to play and not our star QB? Wouldn't Boykin at 90% have been better than Foster Sawyer?

Ha. I think you're the one forgetting. Boykin wasn't even close to 100% that game. The guy could barely even put weight on his hurt ankle. No way he could have played the previous week against OU.

Kolby is a POS... but this isn't a valid argument.

Zubaz

The thing I keep coming back to: Let's say you did sit the 6-8 weeks that "normal" doctors would recommend such an injury. That puts us around what, the OU or Baylor game? So BEST CASE scenario, he ends up missing 3/4 of the season and ends up with like 300 yards and 3 TD's on the year (and that includes his 98 yard / 1 TD game against OU, which is on the tail end of that 6-8 week window). That's gonna get him signed to the NFL? Not likely.

Fact is, he had some of his best games of the season after he came back from the injury. Those games are almost assuredly what got him on a roster. He's suing for what, money that he never would have had

It sucks that he got hurt. It really does. He got hurt in the course of helping the Frogs, and that needs to be remembered too. All that being said, it almost definitely wasn't negligence that led to his current situation. He got hurt on the football field and it cost him an NFL career. That happens. Perhaps it's another drop in the discussion about whether college players should be paid, but it's wildly inappropriate to suggest that TCU is somehow negligent in this issue.

Wexahu

Doesn't make sense.

Most the "hard work" is done in practice, that is where you earn and keep your roster spot. Playing on Sunday is the reward.

You don't keep a roster spot if you don't practice, especially for an unproven product like Listenbee.

Not really, especially these days. Training camp maybe but even then they make sure they aren't beating up players. I think they only practice in full pads 2-3 times/week. There's no comparison between the intensity in practices and the intensity in games in the NFL.

H0RNEDFR0G

In a given year out of 67,887 college football players 225 are drafted. That's 1.7%. You get drafted, earn $628,000 in the NFL, and instead of being grateful for the opportunity, you think that someone owes you more.

He was drafted for his potential, not his talent per say. Most of his success at TCU was running go routes and burning everyone on the field. That doesn't work in the NFL. They were probably banking on turning him into a possession receiver, and that didn't pan out. Put on your big boy pants and go get a job. I'm positive that there would have been opportunities in the TCU community, so much for that. He put all his eggs in this lawsuit basket, for his sake, he better win.

H0RNEDFR0G

What lawyer worth his/her salt would let his/her client discuss his pending lawsuit in public?

One that is hoping to grab enough spotlight for a settlement. He knows there's no chance he can win the lawsuit. TCU should've already received a declaratory judgement removing it from the suit.

2015Frog

Ha. I think you're the one forgetting. Boykin wasn't even close to 100% that game. The guy could barely even put weight on his hurt ankle. No way he could have played the previous week against OU.

Kolby is a POS... but this isn't a valid argument.

You're wrong. There were rumors going around the program the same week that he would play against OU; he traveled, didn't wear crutches and was actively shown on the sideline walking around. He wore that TCU knit cap with the strings on the side if you don't remember correctly. Also, the notion that Boykin wasn't near 100% for the Baylor game is insanity. Why would they throw 33 times in that rain with a QB who can barely walk? He also had 14 rush attempts, although I'm assuming that includes sacks, if you look at the box score. This is the week after he can barely walk? Please.

I have and always will believe GP held him out because he wanted him 110% for the Baylor game the next week. Regardless, KL was not nearly as valuable to the offense.

Sebastian S

Boykin was not close to 100% for that Baylor game.

His rush attempts were from trying to run but physically couldn't.

He averaged a whopping 1.1 yards per attempt for a total of 16 yards. If you watched Boykins career, you know that's not him healthy.

"Boykin, playing with a heavily taped right ankle after missing a game, threw for 148 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for a 1-yard score in the first overtime."

"Trevone Boykin returned for TCU, though he was far from his best. Boykin missed TCU's game against Oklahoma last weekend with an ankle injury, but was able to start, albeit with his ankle heavily taped. He was clearly not his normal, explosive self, but it's hard to think either Bram Kohlhausen or Foster Sawyer would've been much better."

"TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin, playing on an injured ankle in his final game in Fort Worth, was about "75 percent," coach Gary Patterson said. He finished 18-of-33 for 148 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. He also ran for a score. "

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Boykin was not close to 100% for that Baylor game.

His rush attempts were from trying to run but physically couldn't.

He averaged a whopping 1.1 yards per attempt for a total of 16 yards. If you watched Boykins career, you know that's not him healthy.

"Boykin, playing with a heavily taped right ankle after missing a game, threw for 148 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for a 1-yard score in the first overtime."

"Trevone Boykin returned for TCU, though he was far from his best. Boykin missed TCU's game against Oklahoma last weekend with an ankle injury, but was able to start, albeit with his ankle heavily taped. He was clearly not his normal, explosive self, but it's hard to think either Bram Kohlhausen or Foster Sawyer would've been much better."

"TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin, playing on an injured ankle in his final game in Fort Worth, was about "75 percent," coach Gary Patterson said. He finished 18-of-33 for 148 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. He also ran for a score. "
No use trying to find meaningful takeaways from that game. With that weather and field condition then no one was going to do much offensively whether they were fully healthy or not. There was no footing at all out there after the first quarter.

I have no idea if he was 100% or 50% but I don't think the results would've been much different either way.

f_399

He was definitely not 100%.

Discussing it a couple years later maybe a little fuzzy but we knew back then he was not 100%.

Could it have changed the games outcome if he was 100%? who knows. Baylor also knew he could not run like his usual self.

We won a beat Baylor is all that counts.