• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson on tough road ahead for TCU: ‘We might be 3-9 before it’s done’

Moose Stuff

Season is a total dumpster fire, worse even than the pot year. Refreshing that Gary acknowledges it. Would be more refreshing if he and his staff took a pay cut and ticket prices were lowered for next year. What a concept! Deliver a subpar product, you get paid less for said subpar product.

Steel bets that ticket prices go up next year, and coaches get pay raises.

Oh, and be sure and donate money to enhance the Billion Dollar Endowment and erect more buildings with shiny wood floors!

In a shocking development steel was wrong.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
It is actually honest. I had the same thought after Saturday's game.
Then speak to the whole team. If you think you have to go through the press to get the attention of your team, that’s even a worse issue. And GP is horrible at “coachspeak”. Always has been and one of the reasons I like him. He’s fantastic at mixed metaphors and deflection.
Why would you think he has not said the same things to the team? The coaches? I would assume he has and did. GP is pretty straight-forward.

His 3-9 comment is honest. It was my first thought as the final seconds ticked off Saturday and in conversations I had with family and friends immediately after.

Pharm Frog

It is actually honest. I had the same thought after Saturday's game.

Why would you think he has not said the same things to the team? The coaches? I would assume he has and did. GP is pretty straight-forward.

His 3-9 comment is honest. It was my first thought as the final seconds ticked off Saturday and in conversations I had with family and friends immediately after.

Never implied that he wasn’t being honest and speaking his emotional truth. Definitely think he should have never put that out there. If this was intended to be a motivator as some have suggested, it’s a poor one IMO.

Personally I don’t think it was. If it was something he actually thought about strategically (and since he’s said it more than once I believe it is), I think the strategy is one of lowering external expectations such that five or six wins might be viewed as something of an accomplishment now. And GP doesn’t need to tinker with external expectations. He’s earned tenure here. Given the choice between saying “we could end up 7-5 with the effort I’m seeing from these kids” or “we could end up 3-9”, I’ll take the former every single time.

My first thought was that he’s quit on this season although the rational part of me understands that 3-9 is always a possibility until you win #4. That said...it also extends the narrative that began with the inexplicable punt in Austin.

Lots of mental give-up in that quote though and I don't think he says the same thing 10 years ago if the circumstances were the same. Lately it's almost like he wants the bar lowered as much as possible, lots of nuggets thrown in his press conferences referencing all the hardships he faces with regards to injuries, being "young" (god, I'm so sick of that term), etc.

Just strap it on, get your team ready to play like you're paid a lot of money to do, and go win a game.
Seriously? After everything you’ve seen from Patterson in 18 seasons, you think he’s “giving up?”

texas_sicilian

Don’t that message was as much for us as the team.

There comes a point when the fear of losing (again) is a bigger motivating factor than the prospect of winning.

Wexahu

Seriously? After everything you’ve seen from Patterson in 18 seasons, you think he’s “giving up?”

No, I don't. Probably reading too much into it, but I still don't think he makes that quote 10 years ago, regardless of the situation.

There's a vast area between being "fully engaged and 100% committed to winning each week" and "giving up". I'd say that quote and his comments in general lately might suggest that he's a little worn down and ready for this year to be over.

GoFrog Yourself

When you lose a case, do you reduce your hourly fees for the next client?

Don't worry, the rest of us will continue to buy season tickets and go to the games supporting the program with our money and our feet, while you sit on your butt in Dallas and complain
No, but when you lose multiple cases, especially ones where your opponent is much less experienced/talented, you’re not gonna have many clients willing to pay your hourly rate for future cases

4 Oaks Frog

I’ve been looking for a place to drop this, and this seems to be as good a place as any...

“Two types of voices command your attention today. Negative ones fill your mind with doubt, bitterness, and fear. Positive ones purvey hope and strength. Which ones will you choose to heed?”
-Max Lucado
GO FROGS!
BEAT KSU!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

froglash88

“Two types of voices command your attention today. Negative ones fill your mind with doubt, bitterness, and fear. Positive ones purvey hope and strength. Which ones will you choose to heed?”

After the 2nd sentence I was fearful of what the rest of the quote might say. Full of doubt and bitterness, I didn’t have the strength to read on. I’ve given up all hope.

Klaw

Dumb argument that gets made a lot. The football field is not a corporate office and shouldn't be treated as such.

Tcu football is big business. The coach get paid $5 million, the staff gets paid very well and they play in an expensive stadium.

Paterson needs to be held accountable. He the Leader and should start acting like it

Tcu football is big business. The coach get paid $5 million, the staff gets paid very well and they play in an expensive stadium.

Paterson needs to be held accountable. He the Leader and should start acting like it

Gary stays at TCU for many reasons, but one main reason is he can lose and not get fired. There is not the pressure to win at TCU like at other schools. GP is the only reason we have high expectations and a lot of our fans would do well to acknowledge that. I would love GP if we had five losing seasons in a row. Look what the man has done for us and get a grip. The man is a winner and he is so much more motivated to win than any fan of TCU! It is not even close. Sometimes shiiittte happens. Look at Tech they kept Coach bro and Tech is having a good year this year.