• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Former TCU coach Gary Patterson has message for this Horned Frogs team

FrogBall09

All the GP haters on this board are insane to me. We would be nothing without that man. Nothing. We wouldn’t have joined the Big 12. We wouldn’t have joined the MWC. TCU owes that guy a lot. Obviously I love sonny and what he has done but there is no Sonny bringing TCU to the playoffs without GP and that is a fact. We would have never even sniffed the playoffs in 2014 without him.
They all have little man syndrome

Rifframbahzoo20

One Hundo!^^^

And keep in mind, there is only a few haters on this board. Most TCU fans know the deal. Without Gary we wouldn’t be here today. Sonny took the baton and here we are. We owe them both a great deal.
Reading the other thread makes me think the vast majority of people on this board are GP haters… I really don’t get it

Chongo94

All the GP haters on this board are insane to me. We would be nothing without that man. Nothing. We wouldn’t have joined the Big 12. We wouldn’t have joined the MWC. TCU owes that guy a lot. Obviously I love sonny and what he has done but there is no Sonny bringing TCU to the playoffs without GP and that is a fact. We would have never even sniffed the playoffs in 2014 without him.
You know that for certain? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just hesitate to make concrete points such as this….nothing is ever certain.

For me, I tend to think more and more, that Bumpas also deserves more praise than he gets for our success during the past 20 years.

Honestly, at the end of the day, the guy was a coach. It’s not worth getting this worked up over a football coach. Do I want him there, no…do I really care that much if he goes, no. My life will go on. Some people on here do seem a bit too obsessed about his thoughts and efforts these days though.

froggy

You know that for certain? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just hesitate to make concrete points such as this….nothing is ever certain.

For me, I tend to think more and more, that Bumpas also deserves more praise than he gets for our success during the past 20 years.

Honestly, at the end of the day, the guy was a coach. It’s not worth getting this worked up over a football coach. Do I want him there, no…do I really care that much if he goes, no. My life will go on. Some people on here do seem a bit too obsessed about his thoughts and efforts these days though.
I don’t think it really matters if you or I want him there , I really could care less either way . It’s is he going to be a disruptive force and do Sonny and the team want him there

Rifframbahzoo20

I don’t have a crystal ball but look at every team that was in our position back then and compare them. Has any other school done anything close to this? Best case scenario we would be Kansas state, which is fine, but that is best case IMO. We could just as easily be Tulane or UCF who are both sort of kind of catching up with us. Or… we could be a team that never even moved up to the AAC

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I don’t have a crystal ball but look at every team that was in our position back then and compare them. Has any other school done anything close to this? Best case scenario we would be Kansas state, which is fine, but that is best case IMO. We could just as easily be Tulane or UCF who are both sort of kind of catching up with us. Or… we could be a team that never even moved up to the AAC
Did any other comparable school have the administration and donor commitment of TCU? There are many factors here aside from coaching. GP was handsomely compensated.

The way GP went out and the things he said around town about those self-same donors and school admins who made him a very rich man is what put me off him as a person. The decision was business and he made it personal.

If he wants to be at the game, fantastic. For anyone to expect the school to reach out to him is beyond silly. Any bridge building to be undertaken should begin on Gary’s end, beginning with apologies to the people he crapped on. And I know exactly the truth of the matter in that regard.

If his ill-timed interview with Scruggs doesn’t have an element of humility and regret for how he went out, I’ll be unsurprised.

The TCU Football Jerk

Man...give the guy a break. Positive "Win it and Proud of you" tweet. Classy, and he only built this program from nada. We can break up and not keep throwing him under the bus. Who gives a [ Finebaum ] where he works, we didn't want to retain his services and we beat his employer.

Agree. Rear view mirror. Thankful for what he did for us. Now lets look to the future. His statue is well deserved and will stand on campus hopefully forever. No need to worry about him or kick him. Its obvious he still supports us. Moving on.

Virginia Frog

Reading the other thread makes me think the vast majority of people on this board are GP haters… I really don’t get it
It's not hate it's distain for HIS behavior and actions post-termination.

I can forgive his emotional outburst and the "I quit" attitude of October '21 (he was butt-hurt, human.) Going over to UT (that was puzzling for really no $) and his lack of care for his own TCU legacy sealed it for me.

He was a great coach for us (and deserves his $100mm and accolades) but his parking meter expired in the last few seasons. I was sorry that the TCU leadership HAD to assure his exit in the short term and absorb all the bad energy that he created.

Frog Attack II

TCU no longer owes GP anything and vice versa. I am thankful for his efforts but he no longer works here. He was paid tens of millions of $ and has a freakin' statue.... TCU doesn't need to bow down to him. It's done. It's over. He now works for University of Satan.

This isn't GP's team. He may have recruited most of them, but he lost them. In fact, they pretty much quit on him. HCSD has been more than complimentary of GP... now, he decides to do an interview? Weird. And IMO, insulting to HCSD.

Wexahu

Exactly.

Who knows what would have happened if GP took another job in 2006. Maybe the other guy we hire has similar results, or takes it to another level. What if Gary leaves after 2011 and we are forced to go out and get someone else? Could the new guy(s) have gone 45-41 in the Big 12 like Gary did? I'm thinking it's quite possible.

It's not an exact comparison, but look at the history of Cincinnati football. They made the playoffs last year and are now joining a major league, and they've cycled through six coaches since GP took over at TCU. Why couldn't it have possibly been something similar here?

Rifframbahzoo20

It's not hate it's distain for HIS behavior and actions post-termination.

I can forgive his emotional outburst and the "I quit" attitude of October '21 (he was butt-hurt, human.) Going over to UT (that was puzzling for really no $) and his lack of care for his own TCU legacy sealed it for me.

He was a great coach for us (and deserves his $100mm and accolades) but his parking meter expired in the last few seasons. I was sorry that the TCU leadership HAD to assure his exit in the short term and absorb all the bad energy that he created.
What is so bad about him going to Texas? He got fired.

Maybe this is the crux of the issue... But I just don't get it. I have never considered Texas and TCU to be rivals like it appears some (most?) on here do. I like TCU because my uncle went there and he got me to fall in love with them in the 2000s when I was a kid. I also will always like Texas for the 2005 national championship, my first sports memory at 7 years old. I don't see myself rooting for these two teams as contradictory, they weren't even in the same conference when I became fans of them. I will always root for TCU over Texas but I still like both teams and the 95% of the time they aren't playing each other I cheer for both.

I get it, if he went to Baylor I would never say his name again but Baylor is Baylor and Texas is Texas. I don't have the hate boner for Texas that some of y'all seem to have so maybe I will just "never get it" and that is fine with me. I will always love Gary Patterson for what he did for TCU.

As for why he did it... Gary probably wanted to stay in the state of Texas and didn't want to retire.

I wonder if he went to a&m would it be a big deal or just Texas? What about North Texas or UTSA?

Rifframbahzoo20

Did any other comparable school have the administration and donor commitment of TCU? There are many factors here aside from coaching. GP was handsomely compensated.

The way GP went out and the things he said around town about those self-same donors and school admins who made him a very rich man is what put me off him as a person. The decision was business and he made it personal.

If he wants to be at the game, fantastic. For anyone to expect the school to reach out to him is beyond silly. Any bridge building to be undertaken should begin on Gary’s end, beginning with apologies to the people he crapped on. And I know exactly the truth of the matter in that regard.

If his ill-timed interview with Scruggs doesn’t have an element of humility and regret for how he went out, I’ll be unsurprised.
I don't know any million dollar TCU donors or anything so all I can do is form an opinion from the news and such. Maybe he [ Finebaum ]-talked the entire city of Fort Worth but I really don't know that and that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the hate boner everybody has for him. If that is why then I will admit I am wrong...

GO_DJ

Ticket Exchange Pass
Gary is speaking up now because there is a huge swath of college football fans interested in his thoughts of all of this. As am I. As are most of everyone who cares about TCU football enough to log on to this board.

I bet he has nothing but good things to say and he is very happy for the players. I’m looking forward to the interview.