• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark wants to ‘nationalize’ conference

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark wants to ‘nationalize’ conference​

BY STEVEN JOHNSON

AP22291628532522.jpg

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has a grand vision for what he wants the league to look like in the next few years.

“I want student athletes from coast to coast to vote yes for this conference,” Yormark said at the Big 12 Basketball Tipoff Tuesday. “Right now they always vote for schools, I want to give them another reason to vote for this conference. I want them to recognize us and all of the things we’re doing and be on their consciousness. I’m not sure that’s happening right now.”

Yormark wants the Big 12 to become a national brand like the SEC and the Big 10. Ohio State and Alabama are major brands nationally, but they’re viewed as one major component of their leagues.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article267492508.html#storylink=mainstage_card

A few corrections to some narratives floating around out there...

- The Big 12 argued its new 12-member alignment is worth, on the open market, $500mm total starting in 2025 for 5 or 6 years, plus a "make right" if ESPN wants to move TX/OU out early (would look like higher fees over the next two years). The response to that wasn't as negative as anticipated. $400mm as the AAV for the 5-6 year extension is the current "median," and I think it's a number both sides can say yes to.

- For reference, the current Big 12 contract has a $250mm AAV and is scheduled to peak around $275mm total in 2024-2025. That's for the existing ten members, including OU and Texas. The extension would, in effect, build off that $275mm number and accelerate into the latter part of this decade.

- Why would ESPN and FOX be interested? From what I see, the primary reason is that they see this as the best CFB rights available anytime soon, and they know they'll have to pay more if they wait two years. Better to wrap it up now, and the two sides are aligned: Big 12 wants stability and certainty too and wants to get their $$ now vs. after the CFP and NBA take bigger chunks of the shrinking pie. Both FOX and ESPN need the content, especially FOX, and ESPN needs to protect ESPN+ from churn.

- The biggest items remaining are A) Fees, B) Term, and C) TX/OU exit. ESPN wants them into the SEC ASAP, FOX wants to be compensated... I have good news: There is a path to get this done. FOX needs more Tier 1 content, and ESPN has plenty with the SEC and ACC. All ESPN really wants here is some football for its networks and ESPN+, all the basketball, and Tier 3 for ESPN+, and they are willing to give Tier 1 to FOX or at least change the selection criteria to preference FOX in the selection draft. Is that enough to get it done? Maybe, maybe not.

- The Big 12 will stand firm on the exit fee but will negotiate on the penalty to allow TX/OU to leave if it helps get a good rights deal done.

- A recent straw poll of Big 12 Presidents showed that this deal if brought to the board would get approved. Any interest in waiting so that we can call Amazon or WBD is "low" I'm told.

- If you are curious, this is what a 2027-2028 revenue distribution could look like for TCU:

Media Rights/Fees/Licensing: $35 million
CFP Share: $32 million
NCAA Revenue: $5 million
Other: $1 million

Total Big 12 Annual Distribution per member: $73 million

SEC/Big Ten will probably be $100-125 million by that point.

ACC: LOL

Eight

A few corrections to some narratives floating around out there...

- The Big 12 argued its new 12-member alignment is worth, on the open market, $500mm total starting in 2025 for 5 or 6 years, plus a "make right" if ESPN wants to move TX/OU out early (would look like higher fees over the next two years). The response to that wasn't as negative as anticipated. $400mm as the AAV for the 5-6 year extension is the current "median," and I think it's a number both sides can say yes to.

- For reference, the current Big 12 contract has a $250mm AAV and is scheduled to peak around $275mm total in 2024-2025. That's for the existing ten members, including OU and Texas. The extension would, in effect, build off that $275mm number and accelerate into the latter part of this decade.

- Why would ESPN and FOX be interested? From what I see, the primary reason is that they see this as the best CFB rights available anytime soon, and they know they'll have to pay more if they wait two years. Better to wrap it up now, and the two sides are aligned: Big 12 wants stability and certainty too and wants to get their $$ now vs. after the CFP and NBA take bigger chunks of the shrinking pie. Both FOX and ESPN need the content, especially FOX, and ESPN needs to protect ESPN+ from churn.

- The biggest items remaining are A) Fees, B) Term, and C) TX/OU exit. ESPN wants them into the SEC ASAP, FOX wants to be compensated... I have good news: There is a path to get this done. FOX needs more Tier 1 content, and ESPN has plenty with the SEC and ACC. All ESPN really wants here is some football for its networks and ESPN+, all the basketball, and Tier 3 for ESPN+, and they are willing to give Tier 1 to FOX or at least change the selection criteria to preference FOX in the selection draft. Is that enough to get it done? Maybe, maybe not.

- The Big 12 will stand firm on the exit fee but will negotiate on the penalty to allow TX/OU to leave if it helps get a good rights deal done.

- A recent straw poll of Big 12 Presidents showed that this deal if brought to the board would get approved. Any interest in waiting so that we can call Amazon or WBD is "low" I'm told.

- If you are curious, this is what a 2027-2028 revenue distribution could look like for TCU:

all good news and am in the school of thought that the 12 should work to find a workable number that gets out into the sec and allows the 12 to start their next phase without having to share spaces with the exe's so to speak

GSR, where does this leave the PAC?
Currently talking to YouTube and Amazon most, Apple a tad but they have less interest than I thought they would.

They can't get past their anger with FOX, which makes a deal with the traditional powers really tough. This could change with the Big 12 threatening to pit them out, who knows. ESPN as it stands today does not want all of the PAC content bundle.

Most people I talk to think they are going to get $300mm or so from Amazon or something like that, which they MIGHT but you have to factor in the lost value of exposure. People already don't watch much PAC content, now nobody but their core fans will. Is that a good idea long-term? Look at the Big 12 and Big Ten, what are they focused on? National exposure, reach, more eyeballs, broader appeal, etc. etc... I think the PAC might have made a mistake.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Currently talking to YouTube and Amazon most, Apple a tad but they have less interest than I thought they would.

They can't get past their anger with FOX, which makes a deal with the traditional powers really tough. This could change with the Big 12 threatening to pit them out, who knows. ESPN as it stands today does not want all of the PAC content bundle.

Most people I talk to think they are going to get $300mm or so from Amazon or something like that, which they MIGHT but you have to factor in the lost value of exposure. People already don't watch much PAC content, now nobody but their core fans will. Is that a good idea long-term? Look at the Big 12 and Big Ten, what are they focused on? National exposure, reach, more eyeballs, broader appeal, etc. etc... I think the PAC might have made a mistake.
It wouldn't be the first. They tried to run their own Network for 3rd Tier content, and it was a disaster. By trying to take a leap of faith with Streamers, they are further pushing themselves into irrelevance. The Streamers aren't ready for sports, and really don't get the concept very well at all.

All the Conferences are angry at the Networks. Like the lovely exchange in Raising Arizona: FBI Agent: "Sir, do you have any disgruntled employees?"
Nathan Arizona: "'Disgruntled employees'?!? Hell, they're all disgruntled! What do you think I'm running here? A daisy farm?"

If the PAC management is allowing their anger to hurt the overall well-being and future of the Conference, they had best find new management...

dawg

Maybe I'm being obtuse (insert Warden Norton gif) for asking this, but does the SEC/B1G number you cited include the CFP share?

IF true, ~$73m/yr doesn't sound like the haircut some were predicting for the XII's new deal.