• The KillerFrogs

FWST: After mounting frustrations, TCU gives faculty option to teach remotely in fall

Pharm Frog

Yes. Many are openly talking of taking gap years.

And there's some serious discussions going on right now about the bachelor's degree being a requirement for some positions that it always has been. To an extent higher education has done this to itself by producing paper graduates with significantly deficient basic skills. Starting to hear much more talk about skills-based evaluation of projectable talent. Was on conference about this earlier this week. Right now it's just talk but I've never heard it being discussed seriously until this summer.

HFrog1999

And there's some serious discussions going on right now about the bachelor's degree being a requirement for some positions that it always has been. To an extent higher education has done this to itself by producing paper graduates with significantly deficient basic skills. Starting to hear much more talk about skills-based evaluation of projectable talent. Was on conference about this earlier this week. Right now it's just talk but I've never heard it being discussed seriously until this summer.

For a long time, I’ve thought it is ridiculous to require a bachelor’s degree for sales jobs. Some of the best and highest earning salespeople I’ve worked with haven’t had diplomas. IMO, a Marketing Degree isn’t worth much.

Travis Trucks

Specific degrees are worthless.... I got my degree in broadcast journalism, but I was in that industry for 3 years before exiting. The job I have now, they wanted someone with a masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science or software engineering. I don't have any of that, but I still go the job, because my employer realized competency matters more than what your degree is in. I got hired over people with masters and all of that. Everything I know in the job I do was self taught.

I've always been told that the main reason some jobs require a college degree, is because it showed that at minimum you could go somewhere for 4 years and pay attention long enough to graduate.

Pharm Frog

For a long time, I’ve thought it is ridiculous to require a bachelor’s degree for sales jobs. Some of the best and highest earning salespeople I’ve worked with haven’t had diplomas. IMO, a Marketing Degree isn’t worth much.

The discussions are for far more than sales jobs. In fact, there’s some energy toward two-year programs with work experience and an internship.

BABYFACE

Tell me about it. My marketing degree has sucked. I enjoyed the premise and the core classes, but it didn’t mean much, post school.

Brog

Well, well! Looks who's getting into this discussion.

WASHINGTON – A college degree will no longer give Americans a leg up when seeking some jobs with the federal government.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Friday that will overhaul the government’s hiring practices so that a job applicant’s skills will be given priority over a college degree.

Eight

I chose to go to TCU so I could take my laundry home to my mom......

which I never did...

b21f8ff2-f61e-4430-858b-39d6e0d751c4_text.gif

HFrog1999

If I gave you $250,000 to “build a network” I am sure you college would be the last place you would spend it...especially since it takes the average Joe 4-5 years.

I spent most of my career working for and with TCU graduates. I’ve also exclusively hired fellow TCU graduates when I’ve been in a position to do so.

I spent most of my career working for and with TCU graduates. I’ve also exclusively hired fellow TCU graduates when I’ve been in a position to do so.
Probably a generational thing (which is not a bad thing - on both ends). 60% of the ppl that work with me do not have degrees (and we are a high-finance fund). Like I said, whenever I hire someone, I do not give a crack abt a degree (shoot - I went to TCU for two and a half years and have six hours of credit, no degree myself). The one question I have is like Elon's: What will you do for this firm?

It's worked out OK so far.