• The KillerFrogs

Frogs land a kicker

funkyfrog

Another board interviewed Jaden, and is reporting that he was verbally offered and committed for a 2012 scholarship.

I understand kickers are needed for a team....but with so much talent and our recruiting blooming even more.....why do we have to use a scholly on a kicker!!!! is there no way to get a walk on that's solid?

Butch lambert

Why would my Grandson offer to walk on when he has offers for a full scholarship elsewhere? Some of you guys may have the funds to pay for your son or grandson to do that. We are not in that kind of financial shape.
Butch

Gunner

So if it came down to needing a kicker and a OL....and the best OL you offered wants to take his offer...you would be ok with a Kicker taking that spot?

So important to have a great field goal kicker. In the really big games, you better have a good one. Was worried about Wiskky game, 'cause I thought it would be even closer than it was. Wisconsin was extremely lucky to have the slick wet field, however.

We lose alot of recruiting battles and I think we have lost some crucial type recruits this year, like Starts and the Trinity OL. But that doesn't always convert to wins, as we have seen steadily over the last 11 years. You gotta' coach 'em, prepare 'em, and use the weight room. Management is key.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
TCU is really getting to be solidly 3 deep at almost every position except kicker & punter. Rarely is a team solidly 2 deep at those.

Cale Patterson is the backup punter right now and he will be a JR this season and has yet to punt in a game. The backup kicker is DeNucci a RS Fr so he has some time left but he doesn't have a big leg. KOs will be interesting this year that is for sure, maybe Carder will handle those.

Houston Frog

Why would my Grandson offer to walk on when he has offers for a full scholarship elsewhere? Some of you guys may have the funds to pay for your son or grandson to do that. We are not in that kind of financial shape.
Butch

I don't think anyone here is suggesting your grandson should have rejected the offer and walk-on, the poster was questioning whether the staff should have made him the offer in the first place.

I disagree with the poster, and totally think a punter/kicker are scholarship-worthy, I'm just clarifying what he said

Army Frog Fan

A good kicker is worth his weight.

Welcome to TCU!!!

5894475.jpeg

Butch lambert

Houston Frog,
My reply was to the gentleman that said the good kickers should walk on and fight it out. My reply was why would he enroll in TCU or any other University when he has a couple offers from other schools? Actually I'm speaking for the other kids also. How many have the funds to commit for a semester and then walk on? Now if you have no other offers I could see picking a program and doing that. What if you walk on and say sprain an ankle? You don't get the starting job and you can't transfer without loosing a year of eligibility.
We can IF all we want, but the good ones will not walk on. They will go with the scholarship.
I hope nobody takes my post the wrong way. TCU is a great school with a great program, but you won't find a bunch of quality kickers that have to walk on and fight for the job that will really help your program.
Butch

Burner1

Tier 1
Butch you are exactly right. Out of 85 scholarships we certainly can invest two in the kicking game. The 2012 national championship may very well rest on TCU recruiting a good kicker and punter this year. With Oberkrom on board, now we need a punter.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Wish we had kept the Argyle guy but this young man sounds very good as well. I just want to see kickoffs going into the end zone consistently.

Houston Frog

Houston Frog,
My reply was to the gentleman that said the good kickers should walk on and fight it out. My reply was why would he enroll in TCU or any other University when he has a couple offers from other schools? Actually I'm speaking for the other kids also. How many have the funds to commit for a semester and then walk on? Now if you have no other offers I could see picking a program and doing that. What if you walk on and say sprain an ankle? You don't get the starting job and you can't transfer without loosing a year of eligibility.
We can IF all we want, but the good ones will not walk on. They will go with the scholarship.
I hope nobody takes my post the wrong way. TCU is a great school with a great program, but you won't find a bunch of quality kickers that have to walk on and fight for the job that will really help your program.
Butch

I understand what you're saying, I'm just saying that you misinterpreted what the other guy was trying to say. He wasn't suggesting that your grandson (or anyone with a scholarship offer for that matter) should walk-on and fight it out. He was questioning whether a team should use a scholarship on a kicker.

No one in their right mind would reject an offer and walk-on.