• The KillerFrogs

Frog Experience

MN Frog

I was in Nebraska for the Husker FAIL game this weekend with my GF. While I was secretly happy UNL lost, I couldn't help but admire the gameday atmosphere that exists on campus for virtually the entire weekend (not my first experience, but always impresses me). However one thing in particular stuck out in my mind. Friday before the game we visited campus and wanted to do the "Husker Experience" which is essentially a tour of the stadium and a visit to the trophy rooms, etc. While we didn't get to do the tour we did visit the trophy room.

Inside this trophy room there was a small theatre, 20' x 16' or so. All of the walls are white 4' x4' panels and it's a 180 degree projection screen. About 12-15 people enter this room at one time and you stand 8 feet away from this screen. They turn out the lights and play a 4-5 minute clip of the gameday experience. The room is pumped up with the top of the line audio and HD projectors (3 of them to create the 180 degree experience). The first couple of images are close ups scanning different features of the outside of the stadium as the music builds. They then transer inside the stadium to the seats, and into the locker room, etc. All this time the music builds, as the music hits the crescendo you literally are running out of the tunnel with all of the players and htiting each other on the backs. You enter the stadium and are greeted by close ups of the 80K faithful and panoramic shots of the amazing atmoshphere at a night game. They finish the video with crushing tackles and amazing touchdowns.

I left this 5 minute video in a cold sweat. I am no athlete but I wanted to sign up to play football for Nebraska that day. It was the most exhilirating football video I had ever seen and it was all amplified by standing 8 feet from this 20' screen that surrounds you. I think this has to be an incredible recruiting tool that is likely used for every potential recrutit. It sure would be great if TCU could put something like this together, maybe they already have something like this and I haven't seen it. CDC needs to see this and raise the funds for this sort of feature.

if anyone is ever in Lincoln they should definately stop by and visit this "Husker Experience". They also have a 5 minute video on the 3 Heisman winners at UNL. The Heisman trophies spin out from behind the 4' panels for each player as their video ends. Pretty cool.