• The KillerFrogs

Fred Washington

Zen Moon

For many generations, stories have been handed down via the spoken word, in caves, by the camp fire, on the trail ride, around the water cooler, and now on the Internet. It has been essential that tales of greatness and heroes be passed on from the ancients to the future generations so that their deeds are never to be forgotten.

Yesterday I noticed that, while I seldom post, I've reached Fred Washington status. This struck me and reminded me that I have been lax in my duties as an ancient in the telling of the greatness of this posting-status-namesake.

Frederick Earl Washington was from Denison, Texas and a class ahead of me at TCU. He wore jersey #47 and played on the defensive line for the Frogs. He was a friend and a teammate and I wish there was a building at TCU with his name on it or a landmark in his honor. He was a star when there were few in our Purple constellation. He was humble and humorous and thoughtful and imposing. When I had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder over Christmas break my second year at TCU, he sensed over the phone that I was glum so he drove from Denison to Houston to keep me sleep-deprived and smiling for what was left of that week. At the time he was the strongest person I had ever met in person. He was enormous in stature but had tiny, little, er-ruhs (ears to those not fluent in the Washington/Denison dialect). Bigger than his ridiculous mitts was his heart. He was a leader by example and had a work ethic matched by few. He was a Frog through and through.

He left us for the bright lights of Chicago after being drafted by Ditka and the Bears. His rookie season was one full of promise as he quietly began to make his mark on the NFL. The newly minted #91 was on his way to becoming the latest Monster of the Midway. Then one morning the phone rang in my Westcliff apartment and it was my mom. She was crying and said that she had heard some bad news on the radio about Fred. I jumped up, turned on CNN and soon confirmed the unthinkable. Fred had been killed in a car wreck and that day even people who had yet to meet him had lost a friend.

I don't write about Fred now to dredge up his tragedy. I write about him to remind those who knew, and enlighten those who never had the chance, that there is greatness behind the name being used to commemorate a certain number of posts on Killer Frogs. Fred was bigger than life. He was Shaq before there was Shaq. He would have been a regular fixture on NFL United Way commercials. He would have come back for Wacker's funeral. He would have funded a scholarship for skinny high school TEs who wanted to come to Fort Worth and work hard to be somebody. He would have been a great dad.

I would have loved for all of you to have met him but alas, that shall not be. I would do just about anything for my phone to ring and just one more time hear, "What up, ho?" on the other end of the line.

We get busy, but we should never forget. Sorry so long, but with Fred you couldn't have it any other way. God bless Fred. May we never forget.

Double D

Tier 1
In '89, no one could block him. Aggies dove at his ankles cause he was lettering in their backfield. His time on earth cut way too short. God bless #47. I was honored to call him friend.

Double D

Tier 1
Zen has spoken. Post of the year.

For many generations, stories have been handed down via the spoken word, in caves, by the camp fire, on the trail ride, around the water cooler, and now on the Internet. It has been essential that tales of greatness and heroes be passed on from the ancients to the future generations so that their deeds are never to be forgotten.

Yesterday I noticed that, while I seldom post, I've reached Fred Washington status. This struck me and reminded me that I have been lax in my duties as an ancient in the telling of the greatness of this posting-status-namesake.

Frederick Earl Washington was from Denison, Texas and a class ahead of me at TCU. He wore jersey #47 and played on the defensive line for the Frogs. He was a friend and a teammate and I wish there was a building at TCU with his name on it or a landmark in his honor. He was a star when there were few in our Purple constellation. He was humble and humorous and thoughtful and imposing. When I had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder over Christmas break my second year at TCU, he sensed over the phone that I was glum so he drove from Denison to Houston to keep me sleep-deprived and smiling for what was left of that week. At the time he was the strongest person I had ever met in person. He was enormous in stature but had tiny, little, er-ruhs (ears to those not fluent in the Washington/Denison dialect). Bigger than his ridiculous mitts was his heart. He was a leader by example and had a work ethic matched by few. He was a Frog through and through.

He left us for the bright lights of Chicago after being drafted by Ditka and the Bears. His rookie season was one full of promise as he quietly began to make his mark on the NFL. The newly minted #91 was on his way to becoming the latest Monster of the Midway. Then one morning the phone rang in my Westcliff apartment and it was my mom. She was crying and said that she had heard some bad news on the radio about Fred. I jumped up, turned on CNN and soon confirmed the unthinkable. Fred had been killed in a car wreck and that day even people who had yet to meet him had lost a friend.

I don't write about Fred now to dredge up his tragedy. I write about him to remind those who knew, and enlighten those who never had the chance, that there is greatness behind the name being used to commemorate a certain number of posts on Killer Frogs. Fred was bigger than life. He was Shaq before there was Shaq. He would have been a regular fixture on NFL United Way commercials. He would have come back for Wacker's funeral. He would have funded a scholarship for skinny high school TEs who wanted to come to Fort Worth and work hard to be somebody. He would have been a great dad.

I would have loved for all of you to have met him but alas, that shall not be. I would do just about anything for my phone to ring and just one more time hear, "What up, ho?" on the other end of the line.

We get busy, but we should never forget. Sorry so long, but with Fred you couldn't have it any other way. God bless Fred. May we never forget.

the dutchman

I too was honored to call him my friend. Fred was a great one. Left us too early. Nicest dude you would ever meet in person but pure nastiness on the football field. As the great Double D said. He was unblockable. God bless and God speed big Fred. You left us way too soon and you are surely missed.

Matthewavp

$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQNvBQWQ4BvDcg~~60_35.JPG

joejordan

Zen -

Good post. My girlfriend in college (later my first wife), tutored Fred in a couple subjects. They became very good friends. We lived in South Carolina for a few years right out of college, and when the Bears came to play someone down there in a pre season exhibition game, we surprised fred and met him at the hotel lobby. Far from a star at that point, he was thrilled to see Frog faces he knew, far from home. We wanted to have dinner with him, but they had the rookies so sewn up, that there wasn't time. We talked for awhile and laughed.

Thats the last time we ever spoke to him. What a great kid.

chee

A co-worker of Zen's and mine bought his jersey at the spring garage sale. When he heard of Fred's passing he tried to reach out to Fred's mother to give the jersey to her. Don't know if he succeeded.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Post of the century Moon! I love the smooth way he used to introduce himself.

Also, am I remembering right--someone kicked off short to keep the ball from Tony and Fred got it and it was mayhem down the sideline for a while!

roddog

Banned
He was a friend and a teammate and I wish there was a building at TCU with his name on it or a landmark in his honor.

i hope one day there is one, he sounds like a great guy, in a world full of selfish athletes good to hear of ones like this that were selfless, tks for sharing your incredible story

Bizarro Frog

One of the nicest most genuine guys I've ever met. Very sad day for me when the accident took him.

I sat next to him in a couple of classes that had the old school desk chairs. It was quite humorous to see him sitting in it, you could not really see the desk chair once he sat down.

COSCFrog

He was a great guy!

Another soul taken too soon by DWI

An unfortunate comment, made in ignorance. The saddest aspect to the story is Fred did not drink. There was no sign of alcohol at the scene.

I roomed next to he and Tracey for 3 years, only saw him drink once. Got sick as a dog, never touched it again as far as I know.

The accident in Chicago involved high speeds, on bad road conditions. But no alcohol...