• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth kid

No one cares about golf on here because I posted a topic about it the other day. I was there. I will say that it was unfair Peterson won. His team was so bad that he got to tee of in the morning whereas all the other leaders went off late.

No one cares about golf on here because I posted a topic about it the other day. I was there. I will say that it was unfair Peterson won. His team was so bad that he got to tee of in the morning whereas all the other leaders went off late.

I wouldn't say that no one cares. There's just not a lot to talk about since TCU wasn't in the event. Additionally, how many TCU fans have ever been to a college golf tournament? The events are too far away to draw any interest.

I know I never saw anybody there but my parents and the parents of a few other TCU players -- but that was only when we played in Laredo, Austin or Houston. When we went to California, Florida, Mexico, etc., there was nobody there.

tcumaniac

I know the petersons very very well. Awesome awesome family. I played club soccer with his younger brother growing up. His sister is a cheerleader at lsu and is absolutely gorgeous.

Congrats to John!!

First Tee -- any inside info on why TCU missed out on him?

Not that LSU is any kind of slouch, but LSU doesn't make as much sense as UT or Okie State or even A&M lately.

Annoying Group of 20

I think his bio said that his mom is an LSU grad. His brother is the current president of a relatively new chapter of my fraternity at LSU. As Maniac said, his sister is a cheerleader there.

Between him and Adam Rubinson, it is crazy to think that Paschal HS has had #1 and #2 finishes at the NCAA tournament in about 10 years. Good stuff.

SnoSki

People care about golf-- it's just a matter of which topic. If I were to say something like "I think broomstick-size putters are completely 100% ok and provide no significant advantage," then several posters will come here to lambast me.

BTW, I think broomstick-size putters are completely 100% ok and provide no significant advantage. I've seen several golfers 3 putt many times with those things.

I think his bio said that his mom is an LSU grad. His brother is the current president of a relatively new chapter of my fraternity at LSU. As Maniac said, his sister is a cheerleader there.

Between him and Adam Rubinson, it is crazy to think that Paschal HS has had #1 and #2 finishes at the NCAA tournament in about 10 years. Good stuff.

Thanks.

What do you think of the new match-play system after 72 holes? I can't figure out if I like it or not. If they aren't going to decide tournaments like that all year long, why would they use a different format to determine the national champion?

I honestly think this was pushed hard by a few "elite" coaches who want to stack the deck, so to speak. Yes, the better programs have a better chance in this type of system, so it's likely to produce the best champion. But it's not like they didn't have a chance in the old stroke-play only championship. I think a few of these coaches got tired of getting to the NCAA tournament as the #1, #2 or #3 ranked team and repeatedly finishing out of the Top 5 or even the Top 10.

FinanceFrog

karsten creek up in stillwater is an amazing course. one of the best in the country that is relatively unknown. they could play a US open there if it was more conducive to spectators.

First Tee Frog

First Tee -- any inside info on why TCU missed out on him?

Not that LSU is any kind of slouch, but LSU doesn't make as much sense as UT or Okie State or even A&M lately.

He definitely had lsu ties but having talked to him would have considered TCU had the scholarship offer been good enough. If you look at our roster there has been a shift away from American kids. 3 of our top 5 were foreigners. With no home facility recruiting is getting tougher for Montigel. All of the top programs have their own course or at least their own facility at a top course in the area. We have neither.

guerinrules

BTW, I think broomstick-size putters are completely 100% ok and provide no significant advantage. I've seen several golfers 3 putt many times with those things.

If that's the case, why do so many TOUR players think those stupid putters are unfair?
Besides the fact that they look downright retarded.
I always picture a doofus wearing sandals and socks using those moronic putters.
They need to be banished.

SnoSki

If that's the case, why do so many TOUR players think those stupid putters are unfair?
I always picture a doofus wearing sandals and socks using those moronic putters.

not saying youre wrong..i'd like to see a quote to that effect if you can provide one.

and "looks" shouldnt be a reason to ban equipment (except for dress code) IMO. the 2 balls putter callaway put out was ugly as its namesake but that didnt stop tour players from using it..

First Tee Frog

from ben crenshaw's book talking about the paddle grip he used to use but got banned in '88 " Int he same vein, to approve the long putter and disallow this grip differs from the regulation method. The way I put it in a letter to the USGA is 'At least I have free expression of the stroke'. Nothing but my hands touch the club. Another part of my body does not. Whether people rest it against their chin, or whether they stick it in their chest or sternum or stomach, this is not free expression."

I happen to think a belly putter is a great practice tool and when putting poorly I have used one but only as a band aid to get my stroke back on track because the feel with it is nowhere near as good.

InterestedObserver

First, let me say I don't like long-putters.

However, I've never heard Tour players say a thing about them. I've heard commentators make comments, but never someone who is still playing. Not saying that Tour players don't like them, but if they were truly unfair all the players would be using them. When a stoke can mean $500k, they'll take any advantage they can get.

I've seen you make this comment many times, but I've never seen it made anywhere else and I follow golf about as close as anyone. Can you name some players who feel that way?

He definitely had lsu ties but having talked to him would have considered TCU had the scholarship offer been good enough. If you look at our roster there has been a shift away from American kids. 3 of our top 5 were foreigners. With no home facility recruiting is getting tougher for Montigel. All of the top programs have their own course or at least their own facility at a top course in the area. We have neither.

Why is this?

First Tee Frog

Why do we have more foreigners or whydo we have no facility? Top American juniors are flat out getting tougher for us to get. UT , aTm, tech, Baylor, OU, arkansas, LSU, and New Mexico all have their own courses. SMU is currently building a faciliy at Dallas Athletic Club and spending 4-5 million on it, and UCLA bought it's team memberships at Riviera. While our guys have access once a week to the courses here in town (which used to be a great selling point) it's no longer enough to get the top kids so Coach has had to resort to going after foreign kids.

Why don't we have a facility? There was a proposal in front of the board of trustees in April and my understanding is that it got shelved but I don't know the details of why or if it's dead.

It's not just our mens team though. Lots of foreigners on the womens team as well for all the same reasons.