• The KillerFrogs

For those who complain about the sound system

tcudoc

I like the volume and I sit in the endzone.

U can tell the older folks from the younger by the complaints of volume.

I figured out about 20 years ago that louder is not always better, and I really love loud music. But I won tickets to see David Lee Roth and Poison years ago. It was really the first time that I found that I didn't care for loud just for the sake of being loud. Poison, not really a good band to start with, opened the show. The singer was awful, but the lead guitarist, a gentleman named C.C. DeVille, was absolutely horrific. His amplifier was set to 11, he was obviously drunk (and high), and he lacked basic skills on the guitar. Couple that with Bret Michaels yelling "C.C.!! Play that guitar!!!" every 2 minutes. C.C.'s response was to drop down to both knees and lay back on his back, then he rolled around the floor with his left hand as far down the neck of the guitar as he could reach while he continuously plucked on the 6th string of his poor mistreated stratocaster. The sound coming from his guitar would have killed many of the more inexperienced concert goers. But I was a veteran who had been to many AC/DC and Van Halen concerts. I was not going to let him win. But alas, after about the 10th song and C.C.'s 2nd quart of Jack Daniels and his 30th solo, I had to admit defeat. C.C. won that day, but I stayed and stuck it out to the end of the David Lee Roth concert. But, for me, it would never be the same. DLR, in his buttless chaps, really did nothing for me that evening, though I had been a die hard Van Halen fan for most of my formative years.
To me, that was the day the music died, much more so than the loss of Buddy Holly, Valens, and the Big Bopper. Even more than when Stevie Ray crashed in the helicopter. It was the loss of innocence. The discovery that bleeding tympanic membranes caused by a no talent hack with a guitar is not worth the agony. While I will still listen to Van Halen and their contemporaries, I would probably pass on going to see them in concert, instead, opting for the musicianship of the Dave Matthews Band or Peter Gabriel.
This is a long winded story to say that speakers set to 11 are not good for everyone. Loud crowd noises, yes, I love that. Blaring loud speakers just because you can? I am not a fan of that. Let the crowd generate the majority of the noise.

tcudoc

They will spread speakers throughout the stadium but it is UNDER CONSTRUCTION! Until it is done , they can't run all the wiring. Come on people get a clue!
Well, they have lights that were shining throughout the entire field, despite the fact that the sun was out and it was 2:30 in the afternoon. Somebody figured that wiring job out (despite the fact that they didn't need to since all games are played during the day). That was my first clue.

FrogAbroad

Too Loud v. Not Too Loud

East Side v. West Side

Old Folks v. Young Folks

Class warfare is breaking out all over the Horned Frog Nation. Makes me sort of grateful to be stuck in Guatemala these days, attached to TCU football via the Internet. And Brewster County looks better every day.

Geaux Frogs

I think Double D may be incorrect. The stadium renovation included an upgrade in the audio system to a "single-source" PA system. This eliminates echo throughout the stadium and results in a cleaner sound. However, a major drawback to this sytem is what is being discussed in this thread, the people sitting near the speakers are forced to listen to sounds loud enough for the entire stadium to hear clearly.

I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought the renovation plans talked about the "single-source" PA system. Many stadiums are going to this, and I am not a fan.

Frogenstein

I think Double D may be incorrect. The stadium renovation included an upgrade in the audio system to a "single-source" PA system. This eliminates echo throughout the stadium and results in a cleaner sound. However, a major drawback to this sytem is what is being discussed in this thread, the people sitting near the speakers are forced to listen to sounds loud enough for the entire stadium to hear clearly.

I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought the renovation plans talked about the "single-source" PA system. Many stadiums are going to this, and I am not a fan.
This is what I remember as well.

tcudoc

But Double D said to get a clue. That means he is correct, doesn't it? If he wasn't sure about it, he wouldn't respond that way. That would be foolish.

OmniscienceFrog

Yeah, I'm not sure why they are not spread throughout the stadium. We were in the opposite endzone, and it was pretty dang loud. I can't imagine being right next to them.

True. I'm on the west side at about the 10. It's pretty damn loud there and I can't imagine what it's like sitting right under those speakers. I mean there are a few beats in the pregame videos that make you vibrate sitting where I do. I'm actually surprised that they haven't gotten complaints from some of those homeowners behind the west side from it. It is BY FAR the loudest PA system I have ever heard in a stadium.

I can live with it. It's a lot better than a system you can't hear at all, but I think they should be able to find a happy medium somewhere.