• The KillerFrogs

Football Scoop: Sonny Dykes lays bare college football's problems

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Sonny Dykes lays bare college football's problems​

Story by John Brice

AA1l0OKJ.img

Speaking in Charlotte, N.C., at the Bronco Nagurski Awards Banquet, TCU coach Sonny Dykes, the event’s keynote speaker, outlined the issues plaguing college football, poked fun at college athletics’ conference realignments but also sounded a resounding note of gratitude.

Dykes, whose first-year Horned Frogs last season defeated Michigan in the College Football Playoff before they lost to title-winner Georgia, noted that Monday marked the onset of the latest open window for the NCAA Transfer Portal.

“Today is the first day of the Transfer Portal, and I did a bunch of work on those guys earlier in the day,” Dykes said, referencing the five finalists for the Nagurski Award, which was nabbed by sensational Notre Dame safety Xavier Watts. “I don’t think I convinced any of them to come to TCU, but I tried.”

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/sonny-dykes-lays-bare-college-footballs-problems/ar-AA1l0JWT

Sangria Wine

Statistically speaking almost all games result in one winner, and one loser which would seem to indicate the average coaching percentage would be .500. That said, it’s hard to imagine that the median across all coaches wouldn’t be somewhere north of that as it seems to me the best coaches win a massively disproportionate level of games, and the bottom is similarly pathetic. Coaches would seem to be in the middle of the pack if they’re winning percentage was something just south of .600 but I am only guessing.

Wexahu

Statistically speaking almost all games result in one winner, and one loser which would seem to indicate the average coaching percentage would be .500. That said, it’s hard to imagine that the median across all coaches wouldn’t be somewhere north of that as it seems to me the best coaches win a massively disproportionate level of games, and the bottom is similarly pathetic. Coaches would seem to be in the middle of the pack if they’re winning percentage was something just south of .600 but I am only guessing.
It also HIGHLY depends on where a guy is coaching. A .600 winning % at UT or Ohio State is awful. A .600 winning % at Mississippi State or Indiana is almost worthy of a statue.

McGregor's Goat

I think the argument for Dykes was "He was very bad at Cal, but that's a Cal issue, no one could have won there with the complete lack of resources. He was good at LA Tech and SMU, and he made both places better."

I was sympathetic to this argument last year, obviously, but then he turned around and did an objectively bad job in 2023. More importantly, he seems content to live with a bad defense, which makes me think that his failure at Cal may not have been all about Cal. My baseline expectation for him at TCU is now that he'll win about 60 pct of his games and be fired after a few more seasons. I will be happy to be wrong.

East Coast

Tier 1
Dabo Sweeney .805
Nick Saban .804
Sonny Dykes .553
Average .533
Brent Holsclaw .251
There is always a winner and a loser. Average has to be .500, it's impossible to be anything else. I would define mediocre as .475 - .525 Sonny has not been elite, but I'd call him above average with 1 exceptional year.

82 Frog Fever

As with everything else these days, it’s gone to the extreme. It’s free agency on a steroids.
Transfers within a 4 year career with many transferring multiple times.
More than 20% of all FBS players (3,300+) will enter the portal this offseason

As with everything else these days, it’s gone to the extreme. It’s free agency on a steroids.
Transfers within a 4 year career with many transferring multiple times.
More than 20% of all FBS players (3,300+) will enter the portal this offseason
You're right. The paradigm has shifted dramatically.

This program has been built on taking good players and getting them to achieve beyond their expectations by good coaching and, most importantly, game experience. Every one of our peaks has coincided with having veteran players who learned the hard way for a few years.

This model is probably not sustainable given the current NIL/Portal situation. Dykes is going to have to coach for now, not for two years from now, because it would be a fool's errand to plan on having the majority of guys stick around for a few losing seasons while they build back up.

This means bolstering our roster by getting veteran players through the portal. He's supposed to be good at the portal -- at least that's what we were told when he was hired. Now he's got to fulfill that promise.

Wexahu

You're right. The paradigm has shifted dramatically.

This program has been built on taking good players and getting them to achieve beyond their expectations by good coaching and, most importantly, game experience. Every one of our peaks has coincided with having veteran players who learned the hard way for a few years.

This model is probably not sustainable given the current NIL/Portal situation. Dykes is going to have to coach for now, not for two years from now, because it would be a fool's errand to plan on having the majority of guys stick around for a few losing seasons while they build back up.

This means bolstering our roster by getting veteran players through the portal. He's supposed to be good at the portal -- at least that's what we were told when he was hired. Now he's got to fulfill that promise.
Yep, it's pretty much year-to-year now. After every season virtually every single player is a free agent up for grabs. It's why I've almost completely lost interest in our recruiting. It's like, show me the depth chart on Sept 1 and I'll try and figure out then if we have a chance to be good. Trying to project 1 or 2 years out? Huge LOL. Can you imagine how impossible it would be to build a program at a place like Tulsa or North Texas? They are farm teams.

And I wish they'd drop the "NIL" acronym, and just call what it is, pay for play. Not that I mind players being able to make money, but let's be honest here.

4 Oaks Frog

Nope. He makes $5m. He can be held accountable. No bowl game this year. Sub par coaching. You can accept mediocrity. I won't.
If he’s held accountable, it won’t be by you or me. Your parents must have been on your ass day and night.
I like ripping his and his coordinators ass myself, but every once in a while a rest would be nice.