• The KillerFrogs

Florida Times-Union: Schedule should separate Boise State and TCU from title consideration

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Florida Times-Union: Schedule should separate Boise State and TCU from title consideration

Submitted by Chet Fussman

Boise State and TCU might be the only teams to make it through the college football season undefeated.

Yet for either to play in the BCS championship game would be a travesty.
It’s not Boise State or TCU’s fault. Both schools are winning all the games on their schedule. The problem is, the built-in advantages of playing such weak conference schedules make them appear better than they really are.

In a recent five-week stretch, Alabama played Penn State, Florida, Arkansas and South Carolina. LSU and Auburn are still to come (not to mention a possible SEC championship game). During that same stretch, Boise State played Wyoming (2-5), New Mexico State (1-5), Toledo (4-3) and San Jose State (1-6). Fresno State and Nevada are still to come. That’s not even the same ballpark.

To its credit, Boise State beat Virginia Tech and Oregon State, but how hard is it to get up for two or three big games a year? Alabama, Oklahoma and Oregon don’t have that luxury.

The same argument can be made for TCU, which like Boise State, is rolling through its schedule impressively, but against significantly weaker conference foes.

The truest way for the Broncos and Horned Frogs to prove their mettle is in a playoff system, where they can prove it on the field. Until then, wins over Idaho and Utah State should be met with shrugs. ...

FROGDADDY

I see article after article with this exact same content, yet I NEVER see one that offers the logical solution for this problem. Instead of complaining about our weak schedule why don't some of these writers start suggesting that it might be a good idea for one of the BCS conferences to allow us to play a better schedule by inviting us into their conference. Problem solved.

As for his actual article, when a team basically wins EVERY game they play for 3-4 years (specifically referring to BSU), at some point in time they earn the right to play in the big game. If they get smoked in that game, then everybody shuts up.

guidoc

As for his actual article, when a team basically wins EVERY game they play for 3-4 years (specifically referring to BSU), at some point in time they earn the right to play in the big game. If they get smoked in that game, then everybody shuts up.
And if they win that game..."well anybody can get up for one game."
We just have to keep winning and make it harder to make such arguments.
Problem, we keep winning, the less the AQ schools want to play us.
LSU, Tech, etc.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
To its credit, Boise State beat Virginia Tech and Oregon State, but how hard is it to get up for two or three big games a year? Alabama, Oklahoma and Oregon don't have that luxury.

The same argument can be made for TCU, which like Boise State, is rolling through its schedule impressively, but against significantly weaker conference foes.

Somebody needs to get this guy the definition of 'significantly'.

SOS rankings (according to Sagarin):

OU - 15
Oregon - 50
Boise - 55
Auburn - 38
TCU - 64
LSU - 36
Mich St - 76
Alabama - 46
Utah - 110
Ohio State - 81
Missouri - 47
Stanford - 13
Wisconsin - 88
Okie State - 85
Iowa - 78
Nebraska - 53
Florida State - 69
Arizona - 27
Texas - 14
West Virginia - 135
South Carolina - 18
Kansas State - 61
Arkansas - 24
MIssissippi St - 43
Virginia Tech - 58

SnoSki

Submitted by Chet Fussman

Boise State and TCU might be the only teams to make it through the college football season undefeated.

Yet for either to play in the BCS championship game would be a travesty.
It’s not Boise State or TCU’s fault. Both schools are winning all the games on their schedule. The problem is, the built-in advantages of playing such weak conference schedules make them appear better than they really are.

In a recent five-week stretch, Alabama played Penn State, Florida, Arkansas and South Carolina. LSU and Auburn are still to come (not to mention a possible SEC championship game).

This is what kills me about the "week-in-week-out" argument. How is the writer so positive that Boise couldn't win all of those games? It looks to me like Boise has the better team than all of those programs listed. The reason alabama lost is not because of the "week in week out grind," it's because south carolina out schemed and out coached nick saban. it has nothing to do with the "sec" patch on s carolina's jersey. the patch is made o fabric and just sits there. it doesn't make tackles. it doesn't run the football. it doesn't call plays.

Part 2 that bugs me is that the writers ALWAYS point to the SEC schedule. Why not point to the big east schedule? TCU/BSU would be favored by at least 14 in ALL of those games. And back to the supposed "power" of the SEC.. the entire 5 team block in the "east" sucks this year. In the west, MSU and Ole Miss are both crappy this year.

The only decent SEC teams this year are Bama, Auburn (gave up more points last week than we have in the last 6 games combined), Arky.. and maybe LSU, but I think everyone knows their luck is about to run out.

The truest way for the Broncos and Horned Frogs to prove their mettle is in a playoff system, where they can prove it on the field. Until then, wins over Idaho and Utah State should be met with shrugs. ...

I agree, but I also think that Alabama's wins over Penn State (now 3-3), Florida (now 4-3), San Jose State(1-6), Duke (1-5), Ole Miss (3-3) should be met the same way.. with shrugs. Let's not forget that Bama still has powerhouses on their schedule like 2-4 Tennessee and Georgia State, who is in the very first year of ever having a football program. Ever.