• The KillerFrogs

Flatwater Free Press: TCU slugger came to play in College World Series. He rediscovered his Native roots.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU slugger came to play in College World Series. He rediscovered his Native roots.​

Cole-Fontenelle-1-1980x1320.webp

By Michael Kelly

Omaha is the mecca for college baseball, a proud local history dating to 1950. But this year’s College World Series, without fanfare, featured a more distant history – a star player directly descended from Big Elk, the last full-blooded chief of the Omaha tribe.

The player, Cole Fontenelle of TCU, carries a prominent Omaha name:

Fontenelle Forest. Fontenelle Boulevard. Fontenelle Park. At least two schools named Fontenelle, as well as some businesses. The once-prominent Hotel Fontenelle in downtown Omaha is gone, as is the old Logan Fontenelle public housing project.

Read more at https://flatwaterfreepress.org/tcu-...orld-series-he-rediscovered-his-native-roots/

yurintroubl

Now THAT was an interesting, well-written article. Every once in a while - I find myself in position to learn a previously-unknown chunk of my family's history as I slowly fill the gaps. It's an amazing that feeling of connectedness that comes with that knowledge.

SuperBarrFrog

Now THAT was an interesting, well-written article. Every once in a while - I find myself in position to learn a previously-unknown chunk of my family's history as I slowly fill the gaps. It's an amazing that feeling of connectedness that comes with that knowledge.
I was told my whole life that we my family lines were Irish and Cherokee Indian. Few years back my brother did one of the genealogy things with the blood test and everything revealing we had absolutely no Native American and had descended from Scotland not Ireland. Lol.

hometown frog

I was told my whole life that we my family lines were Irish and Cherokee Indian. Few years back my brother did one of the genealogy things with the blood test and everything revealing we had absolutely no Native American and had descended from Scotland not Ireland. Lol.
did you have undecided/determined traits? one of the issues w those genealogy things is they are only as good as their dna database they have access too? Last I saw their datasets I don’t think they have a fair amount of samples in that genetic set. (I’m in the same boat regarding the Cherokee stories. Also had the same result from 23 and me.

Hemingway

did you have undecided/determined traits? one of the issues w those genealogy things is they are only as good as their dna database they have access too? Last I saw their datasets I don’t think they have a fair amount of samples in that genetic set. (I’m in the same boat regarding the Cherokee stories. Also had the same result from 23 and me.
Pretty funny/awesome how all the cold cases are getting solved from dna databases filling up and providing law enforcement with leads.

JogginFrog

Did your ancestors live in the South in the 1840s or 1850s?

SuperBarrFrog

Is your last name Warren?
Apparently there is a whole ph
Did your ancestors live in the South in the 1840s or 1850s?
I’ve read that article before and it’s super interesting. My family had been in Missouri for lots of generations but I think when they come over to US originally tHey must’ve migrated thru NC and TN but I can’t remember for sure. alsays lots of surprises when you start doing genealogy!

SuperBarrFrog

I’m not sure. I’ll have to ask my brother as he did all the research.

JogginFrog

Apparently there is a whole ph

I’ve read that article before and it’s super interesting. My family had been in Missouri for lots of generations but I think when they come over to US originally tHey must’ve migrated thru NC and TN but I can’t remember for sure. alsays lots of surprises when you start doing genealogy!
I was broadly familiar with my family's migration story from Ireland to Georgia to Tennessee to Alabama to Mississippi, but doing research made me realize how closely each move followed a U.S.-tribal land treaty.

OICU812

Is your last name Warren?
So a few weeks back, I post a dig about a (R) on the main board and get this nasty reply which garners many likes:
“who the scheiss are you talking about and if it is politics getit off this damn board”
-Eight

Squatter posts a dig about a (D) and gets no blowback from anyone, including me, and gets many likes, including one from Mr. I’m Outraged.

Point being, you pearl-clutching snowflakes needn’t waste your time trying to scold someone if in future I or anyone else decide to take shots again at Cheeto Messiah, which I will now feel free to do.

Eight

So a few weeks back, I post a dig about a (R) on the main board and get this nasty reply which garners many likes:
“who the scheiss are you talking about and if it is politics getit off this damn board”
-Eight

Squatter posts a dig about a (D) and gets no blowback from anyone, including me, and gets many likes, including one from Mr. I’m Outraged.

Point being, you pearl-clutching snowflakes needn’t waste your time trying to scold someone if in future I or anyone else decide to take shots again at Cheeto Messiah, which I will now feel free to do.

you are presuming first i am a republican which i am not and that i read every reply and if you don't like my posts freaking block me, but stop whining and about trump or politics on this section of the board

Fosterpark Squatter

-Eight

Based on your tone and length of this post something tells me your post (which I haven't seen) was less subtle than mine.