• The KillerFrogs

Fire Kendal Briles

HornFrogger

Good news. In the three question postgame radio interview, fwcsd said we’re going to use this upcoming week to get better. Problems solved!!!

I’m breaking my 24 hour rule after that embarrassment.

Three things stand out about offense. The Briles offense, when it was humming from 2011-2015, had three things we don’t have. One was an excellent offensive line. You may recall BU was sending a lot of linemen to the NFL during that period. Two, they were allowed to block downfield for most of those years. I believe the rules finally changed in 2015, and it was because of Baylor. Three, it was Art calling the plays.

Regardless of “who” we hired, I’m not sure about “what” he brought in terms of scheme. Our guys knew the Air Raid and I can’t help but believe we’d have been better off sticking with that. Tennessee is having success with this offense, but Syracuse is, well, Syracuse. I don’t know of any other team of note that runs it.

This will probably go down as a wasted year since we’ll likely be right back to the Air Raid next year. Let’s just hope this experiment doesn’t set us back further than just one year.

HornedFroginAustin

Three things stand out about offense. The Briles offense, when it was humming from 2011-2015, had three things we don’t have. One was an excellent offensive line. You may recall BU was sending a lot of linemen to the NFL during that period. Two, they were allowed to block downfield for most of those years. I believe the rules finally changed in 2015, and it was because of Baylor. Three, it was Art calling the plays.

Regardless of “who” we hired, I’m not sure about “what” he brought in terms of scheme. Our guys knew the Air Raid and I can’t help but believe we’d have been better off sticking with that. Tennessee is having success with this offense, but Syracuse is, well, Syracuse. I don’t know of any other team of note that runs it.

This will probably go down as a wasted year since we’ll likely be right back to the Air Raid next year. Let’s just hope this experiment doesn’t set us back further than just one year.
Briles was not offensive coordinator at BU until 2015. He gets far too much credit for an offense he did not run.

Ron Swanson

Briles was not offensive coordinator at BU until 2015. He gets far too much credit for an offense he did not run.
Also, this is a schematically completely different offense than what they ran at Baylor in those days. I’m sure there are some concepts that have remained from Baylor, but on the whole, it doesn’t resemble it at all as far as I can tell. And I’m not just talking about how good it is/isn’t.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden

We should be so lucky that Briles doesn’t bring anything from them rapey Baylor days.

Spike

Also, this is a schematically completely different offense than what they ran at Baylor in those days. I’m sure there are some concepts that have remained from Baylor, but on the whole, it doesn’t resemble it at all as far as I can tell. And I’m not just talking about how good it is/isn’t.
Agreed. That was basically split everyone as far away from the line as possible, count numbers in the box then run right at them or throw it. Basic math and take what the D gives you.

Spike

Something I've wondered since the days of Schultz is why we cant run some kind of more macho offense. Almost every OC we've had is obsesses w cuteness. Only times I thought it was effective was under Fuente and whatever they were running in 2014 and 2015. Even in 2015 it was more of send everyone deep and let TB take off running. The current scheme is crap. Last year they other side figured out that you load the box and send everyone. We never made adjustments. Our human bulldozer of a QB would run for his life and toss up a 50/50 ball and our 6'5" first round draft pick would save the day.

That doesn’t make me feel any better.

What exactly were we supposed to be getting when we hired him?

Something I've wondered since the days of Schultz is why we cant run some kind of more macho offense. Almost every OC we've had is obsesses w cuteness. Only times I thought it was effective was under Fuente and whatever they were running in 2014 and 2015. Even in 2015 it was more of send everyone deep and let TB take off running. The current scheme is crap. Last year they other side figured out that you load the box and send everyone. We never made adjustments. Our human bulldozer of a QB would run for his life and toss up a 50/50 ball and our 6'5" first round draft pick would save the day.
Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and to some degree, Stanford, try to do that. It’s not so much the scheme that doesn’t work, it’s that they can’t recruit anybody worth a darn to play in a prehistoric offense. It took GP until 2014 to realize that, and he admitted that’s why they made the switch.

Chongo94

This.

At Baylor, they seemed to run to set up the pass…and they ran a lot.

Here, we seem to pass to set up the run, and then forget to run.

Spike

Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and to some degree, Stanford, try to do that. It’s not so much the scheme that doesn’t work, it’s that they can’t recruit anybody worth a darn to play in a prehistoric offense. It took GP until 2014 to realize that, and he admitted that’s why they made the switch.
What Georgia ran against us was a pretty macho scheme. Granted they have studs across the board. Yes it was shotgun and multiple receivers but it was more manly than pretty. Same thing with what KSU ran last night. Baylor under Briles was pretty macho, clear the box then run right at you.

HornedFroginAustin

I think that it is safe to say that in 2015 and somewhat 2016, he was continuing the offense that was utilized by the previous 2 co-offensive coordinators Montgomery and Clements who had run it for the previous 7 seasons. The previous 2 came in with Briles in 08. Kendal took over a working/successful offense in 2015. And that is really his only successful year at Baylor. The next year, under Grobe they were 7/6. I have never understood why we thought we were getting the 2008-15 BU offense when we brought him on.

An-Cap Frog

What Georgia ran against us was a pretty macho scheme. Granted they have studs across the board. Yes it was shotgun and multiple receivers but it was more manly than pretty. Same thing with what KSU ran last night. Baylor under Briles was pretty macho, clear the box then run right at you.
We lost to best team in the country in that NC game. Yesterday we were utterly uncompetitive against a conference opponent that we should have better talent than.