• The KillerFrogs

Fiesta Bowl CEO John Junker Fired

Froggle Rock

The New York Times Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/sports/ncaafootball/30fiesta.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Top executives at the Fiesta Bowl, the host of one of the nation’s pre-eminent college football games, funneled campaign contributions to local politicians, flew other Arizona elected officials around the country at the bowl’s expense, racked up a $1,000 bill at a strip club, and even spent $30,000 on a birthday party for the chief executive, according to an investigative report commissioned by the bowl’s board of directors.

The final public report (pdf) of the Fiesta Bowl Investigation: http://www.fiestabowl.org/_documents/reports/Fiesta_Bowl_Final_Public.pdf

This report is addressed to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of the Fiesta Bowl from its counsel. The report is counsel’s report—as reviewed and approved by the Special Committee. This public version has had removed from it information subject to contractual confidentiality provisions, as determined by the Fiesta Bowl. All decisions related to the publication of this report, and the scope of any waivers needed to make it publicly available, have been made by the Fiesta Bowl, and not by the Special Committee or its counsel.

fdub

anyone who's read "Death to the BCS" is not the least bit surprised about the kind of things outlined in the report. The top bowl brass are the chief beneficiaries of the current bowl cartel. They run one heck of a corrupt enterprise, and should all be run out of town on a rail.

PhillyFrog

$1,200 is pretty expensive for a strip joint, unless they were stupid enough to charge the table dances. The "big, strong athlete" quote is priceless.

This report on the outrageous spending cost the Fiest Bowl over $1 million to put together.

I would have done it for half of that.
biggrin.gif

And arrived at the same conclusion...Junker was spending a non-profit's money unethically.

I just took a look at their IRS 990 Filing from 2009, and, as Death to the BCS reported, their salaries are outrageous. Not only Junker's, but in my estimation (I work in professional sports, non-profit similar in principle to the Fiesta Bowl), their management salaries are 25% to as much as 50% higher than what their peers would make in other sports -- even "for profit" sports management positions.

I have a feeling that this is going to have a ripple effect in all the bowl games, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerry Jones try to squeeze out the Fiesta Bowl and replace it with the Cotton Bowl. Of course, he's got a black eye from the Super Bowl, but he's so shameless that it wouldn't even faze him.

Armadillo

I hate to say this, but John Junker once took me out to dinner, about 6 or 7 years ago. About 4 or 5 of us there. Seemed like a great guy. I'm bummed to find out he didn't do things the "right way", whatever that means in the BcS.

He has also been one of the most powerful men in college football for many years. Sounds to me like he let that power just get the best of him.

(and yes, he deserved every one of those emails people from here sent him)

How does spending $1,000 at a strip club fall under the category of non-profit? Are they filing it as a charitable contribution?

The Fiesta Bowl is the non-profit entity. Though it may not be illegal for a non-profit to entertain customers (or potential customers) at strip clubs, it certainly is an ethics breach.

OmniscienceFrog

The BCS issued a statement from executive director Bill Hancock and Penn State University President Graham Spanier, chair of the presidential oversight committee.

"We are deeply disappointed and troubled to learn of these findings related to the Fiesta Bowl," the statement said. "Unprofessional, unethical or improper behavior is unacceptable. There is no place for such activities in higher education or in collegiate sports.

The BSC thinks that unprofessional, unethical or improper behavior is unacceptable. Hell, that is the foundation of the BSC.

"It is expected that all parties contracted with the BCS will live up to the highest standards. We do not wish to be associated with entities that believe otherwise."

haha.gif

Metropolis777

With the gross transgressions revealed in this report, we could see the NCAA seriously consider revoking the certification of the Fiesta and Insight Bowls.