• The KillerFrogs

Feeling good about this team

MidlandFrog

The article today about Patterson stopping practice to praise the team is really encouraging. I think what most people outside of Frog nation don't understand is the culture Patterson has created. He has created an environment where accountability matters and hard work is the rule not the exception. I personally think this is what coaches like Mike Leach and Mack Brown don't understand, they think you can either outrecruit or outscheme your opponent, but they forget to build the man. What makes Patterson special is what make a company like Apple special. Like Steve Jobs, Patterson is never satisfied. He is always looking for a way to tweak something to gain an advantage. You hear people from Apple talk about Jobs and it is almost a kind of worship and that is how Patterson is spoken of by his players. When he walks in the room, he is in complete control. I don't think the same can be said about a Leach or Brown. I think that is why UT took such a drastic step back last year, Brown created a culture with zero accountability and it showed in the players attitudes and performance. As long as we have Patterson, I don't think we will ever take another step back (injuries excluded). Sorry for the long winded post, but all of these articles about GPa just made me so proud to be a Frog. We do it the right way!!! Go Frogs!!!!!

DickBumpastache

Why the shot at Mike Leach? His players graduated at a tremendously high rate and he had the best season in Texas Tech history. I think Leach fills everything you said: he stuck to his word while Craig James hired a PR firm to create believable lies that Tech could use to fire him without cause.

MidlandFrog

Why the shot at Mike Leach? His players graduated at a tremendously high rate and he had the best season in Texas Tech history. I think Leach fills everything you said: he stuck to his word while Craig James hired a PR firm to create believable lies that Tech could use to fire him without cause.

Yes his players graduated, but I always felt there was a severe lack of discipline on his teams. I agree he was fired without cause, but let's not pretend like Leach was a model citizen at Tech. Also my point about outscheming his opponent was aimed at Leach, he thought he could ignore the D and win. No real problem with Leach, but he can't even Touch Patterson.

HoustonHornedFrog

The article today about Patterson stopping practice to praise the team is really encouraging. I think what most people outside of Frog nation don't understand is the culture Patterson has created. He has created an environment where accountability matters and hard work is the rule not the exception. I personally think this is what coaches like Mike Leach and Mack Brown don't understand, they think you can either outrecruit or outscheme your opponent, but they forget to build the man. What makes Patterson special is what make a company like Apple special. Like Steve Jobs, Patterson is never satisfied. He is always looking for a way to tweak something to gain an advantage. You hear people from Apple talk about Jobs and it is almost a kind of worship and that is how Patterson is spoken of by his players. When he walks in the room, he is in complete control. I don't think the same can be said about a Leach or Brown. I think that is why UT took such a drastic step back last year, Brown created a culture with zero accountability and it showed in the players attitudes and performance. As long as we have Patterson, I don't think we will ever take another step back (injuries excluded). Sorry for the long winded post, but all of these articles about GPa just made me so proud to be a Frog. We do it the right way!!! Go Frogs!!!!!

While GP does his fair share of outscheming the opposing coaches, it is the fact that his teams outwork their opponents which makes the schemes work. Don't konw that I would compare the program to Apple as I'm not an Apple fan, but I do agree that GP, by all accounts does it the right way.

I don't think there is any way to avoid a down year now and then, it happens to the best run programs, and when you have to replace your entire roster every 4 years it is bound to happen. I just hope that the culture stays the same as we continue to get more of the more sought after talent which in many cases think of themselves as entitled to special treatment.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I think Leach fills everything you said: he stuck to his word while Craig James hired a PR firm to create believable lies that Tech could use to fire him without cause.
Is there a cliff notes on the current status of all the ugly lawsuits vis a vis TT and Leach & espn & excessive use of fiber in the diet?

IamFroglash88

My neighbor stopped to talk to me while walking his dogs. He brought up the Miami situation and said they are now finding out Univ of Florida players are tied to it. He said the same thing is going on at every school in the country. I said maybe a majority, but not every school. He said, you don't even want to know what is going on at your TCU.

MidlandFrog

My neighbor stopped to talk to me while walking his dogs. He brought up the Miami situation and said they are now finding out Univ of Florida players are tied to it. He said the same thing is going on at every school in the country. I said maybe a majority, but not every school. He said, you don't even want to know what is going on at your TCU.

No it is not, that is what crooks say to justify their actions.

asleep003

When people make most probable outlandish remarks, like that... you should ask, "where are you getting your information from?".

Cheers !

OregonFrog

Jobs is a tool. I would never compare him to GP.

Having worked for Apple from '84 to '92 I think the Jobs analogy is brilliant. Jobs would yell and scream at employees all the time, but every employee in the Company respected him and would work their butt off to please him.

When Jobs left in '85 - Apple was run by a very smart management group, but the passion was gone. Apple became the Texas Tech of the computer industry - "flashy" but couldn't compete at an elite level.

When Jobs returned in '98 he quickly got the passion back and now Apple is the most successful company in the US. (By the way Apple has more cash than the US Treasury)

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-29/tech/apple.cash.government_1_ceo-jobs-apple-cash-balance?_s=PM:TECH

shenanigans

Having worked for Apple from '84 to '92 I think the Jobs analogy is brilliant. Jobs would yell and scream at employees all the time, but every employee in the Company respected him and would work their butt off to please him.

When Jobs left in '85 - Apple was run by a very smart management group, but the passion was gone. Apple became the Texas Tech of the computer industry - "flashy" but couldn't compete at an elite level.

When Jobs returned in '98 he quickly got the passion back and now Apple is the most successful company in the US. (By the way Apple has more cash than the US Treasury)

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-29/tech/apple.cash.government_1_ceo-jobs-apple-cash-balance?_s=PM:TECH

Exactly. Jobs is probably the most successful CEO in the past few decades and I think the comparison is spot-on. Jobs is highly demanding but his ability to understand why Apple exists - how its products can change the way we do things rather than just cranking out computers is what separates Apple from the others.

Latest posts