• The KillerFrogs

Explain to me why the media hasn't hyped the punt on the goal line?

Screaming Flea

The set up:
Anson kicked the ball and it lands running toward the goal line. Our guy sees the ball and realizes he can catch up to the ball but will anyone behind him catch it?. He grabs about 10 tons of air and flies catching the ball two yards deep in the end zone, flips back to the second guy who also grabs air and throws it back into the waiting arms of TCU on the three.

D*MN what an effort!! Two go airborn before the third saves the play for TCU and pins Wisconsin on their own 3 yard line. I'll remember that play for years!

You could easily write a two paragraphs on that play alone. It's very.....VERY..athletic and the guys were focused enough to accomplish a near impossible feat. That play was a highlight package if I ever saw one but as far as I know, media did not pick it up much.

Someone gather that play up and put it on Twitter, National Geographic, Women's Daily and the Chicago Trib. Put that clip Everywhere. That one play says a allot about TCU football and what this program is all about.

Fantastic play...... !

FROGDADDY

This was discussed is several other topics. None of that mattered. The ball was touched initially which is all that mattered.

I'm close to certain that the ball has to be controlled by the punting team before it goes into the endzone or it's a touchback. They may well spot the ball where the initial touch was made, but if it's never controlled it goes to the 20 from everything I've ever seen. I'm sure Zebra would know.

An-Cap Frog

I knew that coming in to the RB our special teams were superior in kick coverage and kick returning. This is just continued evidence of GaryPa's influence on the program. This was an understated in pre-bowl coverage. Just about every analysis did not even mention or if they did got it completely wrong about the level of play that we would see from the Frog's special teams.

FROGDADDY

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=130300

Thanks. Zebra's response and the video in the attached post confirm what I was trying to say. It isn't that we touched the ball before it crossed the goal line, it's that the ref on the sideline ruled that the first player controlled the ball before it crossed the goal line. The video does seem to show that he had both hands on the ball and both feet on the ground before he threw the ball to the second player so I'd say the call was correct.

TCUSA

So what if the player had gained possession but had carried the ball into the endzone--wouldn't that be a touchback?

Thanks. Zebra's response and the video in the attached post confirm what I was trying to say. It isn't that we touched the ball before it crossed the goal line, it's that the ref on the sideline ruled that the first player controlled the ball before it crossed the goal line. The video does seem to show that he had both hands on the ball and both feet on the ground before he threw the ball to the second player so I'd say the call was correct.

The rules mention illegal touching, which is what TCU did. From what Zebra posted I interpreted it to mean you only need to touch the ball.

So what if the player had gained possession but had carried the ball into the endzone--wouldn't that be a touchback?
Not to me. He gained possession on the 2. Dead right there. Key is possession not touching. If he had possession and carried it into the end zone, how did the ball get there? He carried it. Member of kicking team can't advance the ball, therefore it's DRT. If he just touches it, how did it get into the end zone? The Kick put it there. Touchback.

PO Frog

Not to me. He gained possession on the 2. Dead right there. Key is possession not touching. If he had possession and carried it into the end zone, how did the ball get there? He carried it. Member of kicking team can't advance the ball, therefore it's DRT. If he just touches it, how did it get into the end zone? The Kick put it there. Touchback.

So the bottom line is that the beautiful game of hot-potato was only good for us Frog fans to marvel at our players' athleticism? That's pretty much what I was thinking, but it made for some great photos. Thought the tv crew did a poor job of explaining the rule during the broadcast, giving Badger fans an opportunity to squawk about it. But I also thought the call was a fairly obvious one provided you know the rule. Regardless, made for good pictures...

Thought the tv crew did a poor job of explaining the rule during the broadcast.
Yeah, right! Like they would know the rule. Most "goldy-throats" don't have a clue. That's one of the reasons the public thinks the officials are bad. The announcers try to explain the rule and are wrong, but the public thinks they are experts. One of the days they will put an official in the booth, both radio and tv, to give correct explanations. Naw. That would make too much sense. If they did that the "talent" couldn't pontificate like they love to do.

Trelvis

One of the days they will put an official in the booth, both radio and tv, to give correct explanations. Naw. That would make too much sense. If they did that the "talent" couldn't pontificate like they love to do.

Fox has been doing that lately. I like it.

Fox has been doing that lately. I like it.
Almost ALL the bowl games have an official in the booth with the talent, normally the supervisor of officials for the guys working the game. Unfortunately, they don't always ask what the ruling was. My supervisor was in the booth for my game this year and they never acknowledged his presence. Fortunately, we didn't have any questionable calls. Hmmm. Maybe that's why they didn't talk to him. :biggrin:

dmpinkstaff

The best part of the whole play is the cheer coming from the Wisc fans as the punt comes off of Kelton's foot. They seem to think he has shanked it - only to see our boys down them inside the 5!! Lots of purple cheering after that.

Go Frogs!!