• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Who will be the Mac Jones of the 2021 college football season?

Bob Sugar

Some Max Duggan Love.

Who will be the Mac Jones of the 2021 college football season?

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...29/who-mac-jones-2021-college-football-season

Max Duggan, TCU
Duggan's time at TCU has been a roller coaster. He started as a freshman in 2019 and, well, played like a freshman: three games with a passer rating over 165, five under 100, including three of the last four games as he battled a finger injury. Then, last August, doctors detected a heart abnormality, and he was ruled out indefinitely ... only to be cleared in September and play in every 2020 game. He was brilliant in a season-opening shootout loss to Iowa State, but produced a sketchy 113.7 passer rating over the next six games, and TCU was held to 14 or fewer points three times.

Freshmen came to the rescue late in the year. Over the last three games, running backs Zach Evans and Darwin Barlow combined for 49 carries, 388 yards and four touchdowns, and Duggan started heaving the ball deep to another freshman, receiver Quentin Johnson, with great effect. Johnson caught five passes (including three bombs) for 247 yards, and despite Duggan completing only 50% of his passes, TCU averaged 47 points per game in wins over Kansas, Oklahoma State and Louisiana Tech to salvage a 6-4 record.

As with so many other teams in 2021, TCU returns a huge percentage of last year's production: Duggan (who also posted 652 non-sack rushing yards), Evans, Barlow, Johnson and every other wideout who caught at least five passes, etc. The line is experienced, too, and while I don't see Duggan as a serious Burrow/Jones candidate, TCU's run game should be dynamite, and both Evans and Johnson are former blue-chippers with sustainable upside.

TCU has averaged an offensive SP+ ranking of 75th over the last three years, which has rendered the Frogs an 18-17 team. The defense will be good as always, and maybe now there are signs of an offensive rebound?

jake102

I mean.... I could see Duggan having a big year but Mac Jones is at Alabama, had a top 3 OL (aTm was probably #1), and a historically loaded WR group along with all around insanity of Najee Harris.

And Mac Jones and Duggan are basically polar opposites. Mac Jones is slowwww, Duggan is extremely fast. Mac Jones had an average college arm, Duggan has a cannon. Mac Jones had elite accuracy, Duggan is lucky to hit both hands much less placed well, Mac Jones was decisive, Duggan tries to decide then gets sacked.

Wexahu

I mean.... I could see Duggan having a big year but Mac Jones is at Alabama, had a top 3 OL (aTm was probably #1), and a historically loaded WR group along with all around insanity of Najee Harris.

And Mac Jones and Duggan are basically polar opposites. Mac Jones is slowwww, Duggan is extremely fast. Mac Jones had an average college arm, Duggan has a cannon. Mac Jones had elite accuracy, Duggan is lucky to hit both hands much less placed well, Mac Jones was decisive, Duggan tries to decide then gets sacked.

You were starting to sell me on Duggan for awhile there.