• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: WAC to expand

Stiff Arm Frog

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5789078

Denver will not play football.

Not sure I understand why UTSA and Texas State even want to move up to D-1, or FBS, if you prefer. They'll never be able to compete with the other schools in Texas, are going to perpetually insignificant in the WAC, and with the bowl system will likely never again see the postseason. There can only be so many Boise States.

Why wouldn't they prefer to continue in D-2, where they can win more games, be more competitive, and possible enjoy postseason success in the playoff?

By the way, this also makes official the WAC's status as a bottom feeder conference. They have finally reached Sun-Belt/MAC insignificance. Sometimes I think even ESPN forgets that the schools in those conferences are D-1.

stell91

I wouldn't say Texas State or UTSA will always be irrelevant... UTEP has a decent program, and I think UTSA and Texas State could at least get up to their level within the next ten years..

Pinkyfrog

I hope for the best for all Texas schools (except SMU, Baylor, TTU, A&M, and especially UT), I would love to eventually have a rivalry with Texas State or UTEP (my dad's alma mater).

FrogFaced

UTSA will interesting to watch. San Antonio is a huge city with zero football and SA folks love their sports. SA is a big city but has a little mans syndrome when it comes to sports because it only has one team(Spurs). All that said, I could see the SA really getting behind a college football program. Now if that team has to play in the Alamo Dome, forget about it. Tulane is living proof that an unestablished football will fail if forced to play in a stadium that is too big.

FrogFaced

UTSA will interesting to watch. San Antonio is a huge city with zero football and SA folks love their sports. SA is a big city but has a little mans syndrome when it comes to sports because it only has one team(Spurs). All that said, I could see the SA really getting behind a college football program. Now if that team has to play in the Alamo Dome, forget about it. Tulane is living proof that an unestablished football will fail if forced to play in a stadium that is too big.

AEAfrog

They will be playing in the Alamodome. Tulane has +/- 12,000 students has to compete with the Saints. UTSA has over 30,000 students, no NFL team to compete with, and is located in a much larger city (San Antonio has over a million more citizens than New Orleans). Those facts don't tell the whole story (see University of North Texas), but UTSA has a lot to work with if they can get people interested.

TEUFELI

Hahahahaha..........

Ahahahahahahahahaha....!!!!

Yeah...UTSA is charging up to be Boise. 

Represent Alamo Heights homey...but get real. (GO SPURS GO!!!...)

P.S. - F the Spurs...

stell91

Now if that team has to play in the Alamo Dome, forget about it. Tulane is living proof that an unestablished football will fail if forced to play in a stadium that is too big.

Maybe Tulane failed because its Tulane and it couldn't hire good coaches or get talented players...

stell91

The Longhorns are gonna love being able to schedule another godawful schedule-padding team or two under the guise of "Austin-San Antonio Rivalry"...

Planks

I think every person I've every known to go to UTSA went there with the intention of trying to transfer to UT. I can almost guarantee there will always be more UT fans than UTSA fans among UTSA students.

Young and Horned

I think every person I've every known to go to UTSA went there with the intention of trying to transfer to UT. I can almost guarantee there will always be more UT fans than UTSA fans among UTSA students.

That's like the entire state of Louisiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Georgia.