• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: SMU trying to copy TCU

purplepreacher

When I read this article I thought SMU is going to have to have alot of good luck like we did. The more I thought about it the more I thought, it wasn't luck it was foresight, hard work and coaching. Pat Sullivan saw something in LT that no one else did and gave him a scholarship. Through coaching and development he turned into a Heisman finalist an an NFL Hall of Famer. Dennis Frachione was hired and immediately turned things around and brought with him Patterson (maybe a little luck there that Patterson came with Fran). We lobbied hard to get in the Sun Bowl and then put together a game plan to beat USC. We had Dick Winder who prepared Sean Stilley to step in for Casey Printers and Tye Gunn to step in for Stilley and Branden Hassell to step in for Gunn. We upset OU in Norman to open the season when nobody gave us a chance. The administration did what it took to keep Patterson here and happy for ten plus years. We were the talk of college football in 2010 when Game Day came to town, and then opened up a can of whoop a... against Utah. And so on and so forth. Its like an earlier poster said a full commitment from administration, coaching staff, donors and players is what got us here. As well as taking advantages of some of the great opportunities we have had (Sun Bowl, OU, Utah, The Rose Bowl).

I am done rambling and I fully expect some one to check my history but the point is SMU has a long way to go and if you are a Pony Fan get ready because it could be one heck of a fun ride.
Very good analysis. Yes, we were due after years of poor coaching choices in the sixties and seventies; tragic events, like Pittman's death on the field at Baylor. Our core alumni, though, never gave up. I sure appreciate our well heeled alumni that put their resources into our school. I can't give much, but am grateful to them. I just hope that we can somehow clone Patterson.