• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Open letter to Andy Dalton

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ESPN: Open letter to Andy Dalton

By James Walker

Dear Andy Dalton,

Congratulations on being drafted in the second-round by the Cincinnati Bengals. I know it's a dream come true for every pro athlete to finally hear their name called.

But the reason I'm writing you, Andy, is to provide some early tips on how to be successful in Cincinnati. Over the past 20 years, many quarterbacks have arrived -- including most recently Carson Palmer -- only to leave downtrodden, beaten and frustrated. Hopefully these tips will help you avoid becoming another statistic. ...

HFrog1999

"Second, do not get frustrated early. This isn't TCU, Andy. You will not go undefeated this season."

:laugh:

It's not like Dalton went undefeated 4 seasons in a row. :rolleyes: 2007 was anything but a cakewalk :mellow:

The great part about Dalton's success is that he's done it the right way. It's great to see one of the good guys win. :biggrin: I hope he'll be this decade's LT.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
"Second, do not get frustrated early. This isn't TCU, Andy. You will not go undefeated this season."

:laugh:

It's not like Dalton went undefeated 4 seasons in a row. :rolleyes: 2007 was anything but a cakewalk :mellow:

No, but Andy lost fewer games in 4 seasons than the Bengals did last year. It's actually pretty good advice for any player going from a top-flight college programs to many NFL teams - learn how to deal with the losses, because they happen a lot more frequently at this level.

BleedNPurple

Andy is the perfect guy for this job. James Walker doesn't seem to know anything about AD. I don't think there's anything in this letter Dalton doesn't already know!

FrogAbroad

Andy is the perfect guy for this job. James Walker doesn't seem to know anything about AD. I don't think there's anything in this letter Dalton doesn't already know!

Mr Walker may have seen a parade forming and is trying to get to the front of it, but...still it's sound, common sense advice.

AD has shown leadership skills in HS and FBS competition. Any player who starts for Gary Patterson knows about hard work, and AD seems to work hard and work smart. He loves the sport and hates to lose...I believe any upcoming losses as a Bengal will add intensity to the competitive fires. He'll make some good plays, and he'll look like a green rookie at times, but he'll learn from both and will improve his game. AD's second home will be the film room.

Now, one unknown factor will be the Bengals organization. How will THEY respond if they're 2-6 halfway through the season, assuming, of course there's a season with 16 games, but whatever... If the suits are content with putting players on the field just to collect TV revenue and sell a few tickets, all bets are off. Does the organization have a real desire to produce a winner? or just to make a few bucks with a sorry product? I don't have the answer to that one, but I surely hope there are winners in the front office and not just on the field.

hindry

he prbably could also use some good advice from a CPA...

most cincinattians own a second double wide in ky for tax purposes.

SnoopFrogs11

Andy already has most of those intangibles that James Walker listed. The Bengals won't be a winner right away but Andy will for sure do anything he can to lead them any way he can.

VA Froggie

We all know that Andy will be good given time to get into the system. With the Bengals being so bad for so long what are their issues. Is it a bad offensive line, a bad defense, or both? They have now brought in Andy and a super wide receiver, hopefully bringing Benson back. What are the holes that need to be plugged?

Who can speak to the Bengal issues? :wacko:

FrogAbroad

The offensive line is the key to near-term success for the Bengals. Whatever else they did, or do, bolstering the OL is essential.

Last year they gave up 28 sacks, which isn't all that bad, perhaps, but they let their QB take 73 hits. Obviously that exposes him to greater possibility of injury, and getting sacked/hit an average of 6+ times per game wears out body and spirit. Consequently the QB starts throwing too quickly, which is in part why Carson Palmer threw 20 INT's last year, 150% of his previous six-year average.

The Bengals got a good guard in GA's Boling, whom most consider something of a steal at #101 in the draft, but a) he's a rookie, b) he's a rookie who probably won't get much time before the 2011 season to learn a new system, c) he's only one guy, and d) he's a guard, not a left tackle. Andre Whitworth is probably the best of the OL at present, the rest not living up to potential, spending time on IR, or having their best days behind them.

Defensively, the Bengals were middle of the pack at #15 in overall defense; #14 and #19 in passing and rushing defense, respectively. They drafted three on defense, at 3rd (#66 overall), at 5th (#134) and at 7th (#207). Dontay Moch will probably see lots of playing time at LB, but he's not likely to get much help this year from the rest of the Bengals' defensive picks.

So if the D can get the O back on the field often enough, and if the OL can protect the QB and open some lanes for the RB (Benson?) the Bengals might improve to .500 in 2011.

If there IS a 2011, of course.