• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Big 12's Bob Bowlsby fears virus may come 'roaring back,' disrupt season

LVH

I can’t tell you what’s going to happen 10 minutes from now, forget 6 months. I think there will be a season this year...but my point is that if this virus claims the life of a player or coach without there being a known cure or vaccine, the season is over.

We might as well never scheissing re open anything then and just live the rest of our lives on this planet in 24/7 perpetual fear wearing a mask.

Go ahead and go to the Star-Telegram Archives, August 2009... read about all of the TCU football players who were out with swine flu.

Moose Stuff

So if a kid - or a coach/staff member - gets this virus and dies, we’re just going to keep playing through it? Because it’s next to impossible to believe that multiple people on multiple teams will catch it, yet the survival rate will be 100%. Right now the CFR is the US is between 5-6%, and that is with the entire country essentially locked down.

I’m hopeful that remdesvir is a breakthrough toward treatment and that somehow a vaccine is developed before the fall...but that is an extreme longshot. To advocate playing through a pandemic with an as-yet untreatable virus seems...crass, to say the least. The liability issues alone would bring this whole thing to a halt; forget about the moral/ethical dilemmas.

You lost me at 5-6%. Like 110% lost me.

Pharm Frog

We might as well never scheissing re open anything then and just live the rest of our lives on this planet in 24/7 perpetual fear wearing a mask.

Go ahead and go to the Star-Telegram Archives, August 2009... read about all of the TCU football players who were out with swine flu.

Swinist IMO

LVH probably thinks that pigs should all be put in blankets too. Swinist areshole

Moose Stuff

The CDC has 60,000+ deaths from 1,000,000 cases. “Universally agreed upon” is an enormous stretch on your part. And deaths from COVID-19 are pretty obviously being underreported based on typical casualties from past years...likely by at least 30%. Now you have state governments like FL refusing to even release daily numbers, so if anything, the numbers will be skewed optimistically.

But the math becomes irrelevant if someone involved in the game dies. The NBA had at least 10 teams report players/staff with positive tests, at a time when tests were nearly impossible to acquire, and they shut down the second the first positive test was reported. If they had kept playing, every team would have been affected. And they only have 15 guys per team; not the 100+ you’re talking about in CFB.

0616B5FC-04E5-482C-83CA-8920F754ACE3.jpeg

LVH

You lost me at 5-6%. Like 110% lost me.

It's crazy how many people are being led to believe this virus is that deadly. I blame the media who continues to fan the flames and manipulate the stats to act like this virus is Black Plague 2.0. I am guessing these are the same people who I see wearing masks in their cars while driving alone. If the death rate really was that high, we'd be seeing a lot more dead bodies nationwide.

Moose Stuff

Yep. If one death is gonna cancel the season for every team in America then it's done. Like forever. What a beating.

Moose Stuff

It's crazy how many people are being led to believe this virus is that deadly. I blame the media who continues to fan the flames and manipulate the stats to act like this virus is Black Plague 2.0. I am guessing these are the same people who I see wearing masks in their cars while driving alone. If the death rate really was that high, we'd be seeing a lot more dead bodies nationwide.

You either choose to educate yourself or you don't. It also requires some occasional common sense in interpreting and drawing conclusions on your own. The information is easily found for anyone making even a minimal effort. I'm embarrassed for anyone who honestly believes the death rate is 5-6%.

Pharm Frog

I don't blame the media. I blame people who routinely subject themselves to amygdala hijacks.

LVH

Yep. If one death is gonna cancel the season for every team in America then it's done. Like forever. What a beating.

There are so many things on a football field that can kill people. Heat stroke, CTE suicides, being 2 of the main ones. Yet people still play football.

Risk is a part of life... we take risks when we get in our cars, when we get on airplanes. We have a greater chance of being killed driving on I-35 or Loop 820 than we do dying from Coronavirus, yet we still do it.

I think part of the problem is that the media treats new CASES, not DEATHS, but CASES as OMG ARMAGEDDON WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE. New cases is not a bad thing, especially infections in population segments that are low risk like young healthy people. I think its a good thing for herd immunity purposes.

But as long as the media freaks out and panics over every new case, we are never going to get through this. The narrative over cases needs to flip for us to have a chance.

Wexahu

I can’t tell you what’s going to happen 10 minutes from now, forget 6 months. I think there will be a season this year...but my point is that if this virus claims the life of a player or coach without there being a known cure or vaccine, the season is over.

I am not necessarily an anti-vaccine guy, but knowing what I know about this disease, I would rather just go on with life and risk getting it, (and if I get it just deal with it) than get vaccinated for it. Especially if it's a "new" vaccine.

I would guess a whole bunch of healthy 20-year olds would do the same.

LVH

I am not necessarily an anti-vaccine guy, but knowing what I know about this disease, I would rather just go on with life and risk getting it, (and if I get it just deal with it) than get vaccinated for it. Especially if it's a "new" vaccine.

Then you have people like me who already had it and didnt even know it. Apart from a rash, I had no other symptoms at all.

jake102

I will not be getting the vaccine anytime soon, neither will my wife or young kids. And yes, we are all vaccinated, all got the flu shot this year, etc.

Wexahu

I will not be getting the vaccine anytime soon, neither will my wife or young kids. And yes, we are all vaccinated, all got the flu shot this year, etc.

Kinda says it all, doesn't it? We're all sheltering in place over a virus and disease that we wouldn't even take a vaccine for if it was available.

Moose Stuff

I have no plans to get vaccinated if I'm being honest. Never had a flu shot in my life. Never had the flu that I'm aware of.

Moose Stuff

There are so many things on a football field that can kill people. Heat stroke, CTE suicides, being 2 of the main ones. Yet people still play football.

Risk is a part of life... we take risks when we get in our cars, when we get on airplanes. We have a greater chance of being killed driving on I-35 or Loop 820 than we do dying from Coronavirus, yet we still do it.

I think part of the problem is that the media treats new CASES, not DEATHS, but CASES as OMG ARMAGEDDON WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE. New cases is not a bad thing, especially infections in population segments that are low risk like young healthy people. I think its a good thing for herd immunity purposes.

But as long as the media freaks out and panics over every new case, we are never going to get through this. The narrative over cases needs to flip for us to have a chance.

We need leaders at some post to come out and say it...... People are gonna keep getting sick and people are gonna keep dying. Deal with it. I don't give a scheiss what the media says. The end.