• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Big 12 top evaluations: Aviante Collins exceeds at TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ESPN: Big 12 top evaluations: Aviante Collins exceeds at TCU

By Brandon Chatmon | ESPNDallas.com

Recruiting is a fickle beast. Even if your school lands an elite prospect there's no guarantee that player will develop into an difference maker at the college level. It's a realization that makes evaluation just as important as recruiting and landing top prospects. Each year relative unknowns on signing day emerge as playmakers for their college programs in the fall. Here's a look at a signee from each Big 12 school during the past two recruiting cycles (2011 and 2012 signing classes) who has already exceeded expectations.

TCU

Offensive tackle Aviante Collins was a three-star prospect on ESPN.com, far from a recruit with expectations to start immediately. Yet that’s exactly what Collins did, starting all 13 games of his true freshman season. And he showed some versatility by starting games at right and left tackle in 2012.

In 2013: Collins will be a foundational member of TCU’s offensive attack this season. There’s no reason he cannot be a four-year starter for the Horned Frogs and leave a legacy as one of the most productive signees in the Gary Patterson era. ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4682510/big-12-top-evaluations-aviante-collins-exceeds-at-tcu

pgdaly84

I got just as fed up with the penalties, but hardly anyone mentions that he actually played very well for a freshman. I believe he was supposed to be third string behind Dunbar and Horn and ended up starting every game by necessity. He and Big V are gonna be really good OT's when it's all said and done. Last year was rough, but we are really going to reap the benefits of playing all those freshmen. This year and next.

joejordan

Brandon C. mis-heard the quote, and built a story around it. It was a comment about Collins ex-girlfriend.

"Aviante Collins ex eats at TCU"

pgdaly84

I think a more appropriate word would be "excels" ...

Actually, "exceeds" is correct. The article is about recruits who exceeded their recruiting profiles as freshmen. Collins was a 3-star recruit who wasn't projected as an immediate starter, so he did technically exceed expectations. Even if he only started because the guys ahead of him were either in the drug bust or an academic casualty.

Ron Swanson

Actually, "exceeds" is correct. The article is about recruits who exceeded their recruiting profiles as freshmen. Collins was a 3-star recruit who wasn't projected as an immediate starter, so he did technically exceed expectations. Even if he only started because the guys ahead of him were either in the drug bust or an academic casualty.

Right, but it doesn't say what he exceeded in the article title. I could be wrong, but I think to use the word "exceed", there has to be something that you are exceeding.... expectations, a river's banks, etc...

EDIT: I realize I'm setting myself up for some English professor to come in here and correct me about how in some particular circumstances, it is in fact ok to use by itself

pgdaly84

Right, but it doesn't say what he exceeded in the article title. I could be wrong, but I think to use the word "exceed", there has to be something that you are exceeding.... expectations, a river's banks, etc...

EDIT: I realize I'm setting myself up for some English professor to come in here and correct me about how in some particular circumstances, it is in fact ok to use by itself

It's definitely a weird title, but I think it's fine given the premise of the article.

YA

I got just as fed up with the penalties, but hardly anyone mentions that he actually played very well for a freshman. I believe he was supposed to be third string behind Dunbar and Horn and ended up starting every game by necessity. He and Big V are gonna be really good OT's when it's all said and done. Last year was rough, but we are really going to reap the benefits of playing all those freshmen. This year and next.
Yes sir! Big things for both of them in the coming seasons. They will be awesome.

Houstonian

I am some English professor, and if a student turned in a paper to me using exceeds without an object (exceeds what?), I would mark it unidiomatic--just not what an American would say/write. Then again, I have also written headlines, and sometimes the constraints and license of that art allow for things that are out of the ordinary. I did think the joke about exceeds penalties was funny, though.