• The KillerFrogs

ESPN B12 Chat - Jake Trotter

SoonerBredCD

UberBear said:
Sooner, for some reason I have a nagging feeling that that may come true based on how he avoided the UT question during an interview. Briles is an honest man and didn't give any indication that he wasn't considering the job. I just hope to God that the horns get someone else higher up on their list. 

IMO, UT would be foolish not to put the full court press on Briles.  He's a hall-of-fame Texas high-school coach who is known and respected among all high school coaches in the state.  With his Texas high school connections in addition to the built-in recruiting advantages that UT already has, its scary to think of the success he'd have in Austin.  He has an exciting, up-tempo offense.  Something UT has been missing since Senior McCoy.  And the man can flat out win.  He's won at every college he's coached.  And you can't argue with his success at Baylor.  Add to that, the UT brass would love to have a good ol' boy Texan, and Briles just makes too much sense.  Which is precisely why it probably won't happen! :)

rifram09

SoonerBredCD said:

IMO, UT would be foolish not to put the full court press on Briles.  He's a hall-of-fame Texas high-school coach who is known and respected among all high school coaches in the state.  With his Texas high school connections in addition to the built-in recruiting advantages that UT already has, its scary to think of the success he'd have in Austin.  He has an exciting, up-tempo offense.  Something UT has been missing since Senior McCoy.  And the man can flat out win.  He's won at every college he's coached.  And you can't argue with his success at Baylor.  Add to that, the UT brass would love to have a good ol' boy Texan, and Briles just makes too much sense.  Which is precisely why it probably won't happen! :)
All of this is exactly right. And who, outside of Baylor circles, would fault him for going to UT? By all accounts he is as loyal to the State of Texas as it comes. Why not coach the flagship if you can? To him, it's not just a good job b/c it pays well and it is easy to recruit; rather, it's a good job b/c it is his State's flagship. If Baylor continues its good run this year, his stock would never be higher. The UT job doesn't present itself very often.

My only concern is age. He's already 57. How many good years does he have? 5 makes him 62. 10 makes him 67. Does Texas want someone younger? Is he interested in starting over at UT where the culture is all screwed up? Especially after just now building Baylor into non-embarrassing program?

UberBear

SoonerBredCD said:

Briles coupled with UT resources is scary to imagine. I just hope that we woud have a Chip Kelly situation and that Phil Montgomery fills in just fine as the new Baylor head coach, been with Briles since the beginning. Lol I do not want to contemplate where Baylor slides to if we lose Briles and are unable to hire a decent coach, so day dreaming of winning the big 12 will do for now.

TT is the smoke and mirrors this season, not Baylor. BU is looking like they could win 9-10 games this season? However I do believe defense wins championships and in college football that means national championships. An uber offense can win a team a conference and even a BCS bowl game but not a national championship. Plus Baylors OOC is horrid. I don't think though Baylors goal this season is to win a NC but to win the Big 12 as a stepping stone for better talent and many good years ahead. Kind of a brilliant plan with all this uncertainty. Baylor is racking in easy wins and huge numbers.

However with TCU playing teams like LSU TCU can show good TV viewership numbers. TCU also if they beat a team like LSU, TCU can shoot for the stars. It is a risk.

Moose Stuff

UberBear said:
Sooner, for some reason I have a nagging feeling that that may come true based on how he avoided the UT question during an interview. Briles is an honest man and didn't give any indication that he wasn't considering the job. I just hope to God that the horns get someone else higher up on their list. 
Selfishly I'd like to see UT hire Briles as it hurts a rival badly. Another side of me would love to see him stay just to show that sometimes loyalty wins out over the big state school and all their money.

UberBear

Moose Stuff said:
Selfishly I'd like to see UT hire Briles as it hurts a rival badly. Another side of me would love to see him stay just to show that sometimes loyalty wins out over the big state school and all their money.
Agree with ya Moose, I just wish Briles would appear more solid to Baylor like Patterson is to TCU. The allure of UT is making me nervous. On Another note it may hurt one rival but awaken a much more dominant one lol.

Moose Stuff

UberBear said:
Agree with ya Moose, I just wish Briles would appear more solid to Baylor like Patterson is to TCU. The allure of UT is making me nervous. On Another note it may hurt one rival but awaken a much more dominant one lol.
I just figure whoever UT hires is going to awaken them, at least in the short term. I don't think Briles is plan A and maybe not plan B either. I'm gonna throw out a name for you..... Jon Gruden.

4ever Froggy

I think that there are some here that dislike Baylor so much that it's blinding them to what kind of team the Bears have this year. I think most agree that they are a machine offensively. They will score points on everybody they play. Holding them to less than 30 will be an achievement. Their defense is much, much improved. They aren't at our defensive level yet but they aren't in the bottom half anymore.

I know they haven't played anybody yet but they have taken care of business in a big way. They look sharp, focused and motivated thus far. No lethargy being shown by those guys, they are playing with purpose and having fun while doing it.

I''ve seen all the B12 teams this year and BU has looked the best in thus far. I may be way off but from what I''ve seen, it's going to be a two horse race between BU and OSU and Baylor has looked better on both sides of the ball thus far.

As much as it pains me to say it, if I had to pick the conference winner today, my choice would be Baylor.

4ever Froggy

I need to quit responding to posts that are 2-3 pages before because they don't follow the pattern of conversation as I see that now the discussion is about Briles and UT.

He hasn't proven the most loyal of coaches so if offered, I'd fully expect him to accept. He's a different breed of cat than GP.

pgdaly84

ArgyleFrog2010 said:
Wake me up when they beat a team with a pulse
People used to say the same thing about us circa 2009-2010. They have annihilated the terrible teams on their schedule the way good teams should. We still need to see their defense hold up against a decent team, but right now they look like a contender.

rifram09

pgdaly84 said:
People used to say the same thing about us circa 2009-2010. They have annihilated the terrible teams on their schedule the way good teams should. We still need to see their defense hold up against a decent team, but right now they look like a contender.
Revisionist history. By this point in those seasons we had played a combo of a ranked Oregon state in the cowboys classic (with Rogers Brothers) and RG3 Baylor that went to a bowl or Clemson and Virginia.

I'm not saying our schedule was top 10, but it wasn't Wafford, Buffalo, ULM either.

BULongFellow

Rifram09 said:
Revisionist history. By this point in those seasons we had played a combo of a ranked Oregon state in the cowboys classic (with Rogers Brothers) and RG3 Baylor that went to a bowl or Clemson and Virginia.

I'm not saying our schedule was top 10, but it wasn't Wafford, Buffalo, ULM either.

That's because you had to play those teams.  The quality was in your non-conference, not conference opponents.

I don't like our non-conference schedule, but there was no way for a Baylor program 3-5 years ago to know where we would be today.  One would have to be an idiot to schedule tougher games while being a 3-9/4-8 program looking for its first bowl since the '90s.  Under Morriss and very early Briles, who thought Baylor would have a Heisman and one of the top offenses in the nation?  Nobody.  It is what it is and if Baylor goes 12-0 amid 2-4 other undefeated teams, then Baylor will be in some other BCS bowl while two other teams play for the title - that would be the cost of our non-conference schedule.  Until that happens, or Baylor loses 1-3 games, I don't see the point of people bashing Baylor's schedule.  It's too early to be arguing about who is good and who isn't get.  Most programs have not proven a damn thing yet.  It's just all about what we feel in our guts at this point.

In my gut, I feel that I know Baylor's defense is better than it was last year.  We have more speed and size, especially on the ends.  Our weakness is our corners.  Add that to the fact that there's only 1-2 offenses in the conference that appear capable of keeping up with Baylor's offense, and I'll be shocked if Baylor doesn't end the season between 10-3 and 13-0, maybe even another Heisman if Lache starts getting more carries once we are in more competitive games (he has the capability of surpassing 2,000 yards pre-bowl with a healthy does of highlight runs).  The depth is there, as well.

Though any team can lose to anyone on any given day, as a fan I'm only concerned about those last 5 games.  We can lose to any of them, but we know we can decimate them all if we avoid injuries and turnovers.

As for Briles, most of us want to believe he's loyal to Baylor, particularly after he turned down Tech.  But we all know what resources UT has for its next coach.  Our hope is that an older Briles likes having a chip on his shoulder (which you can't have at UT), doesn't want to deal with all the extra UT baggage that a program like that entails, has some loyalty to Baylor and past guys like RG3 who he doesn't want to disappoint, and doesn't want to be that guy who leaves his wife for his wife's sister only to show up every holiday season to rub it in (leaving to another conference is one thing, but intra-conference moves are ugly).

rifram09

BULongFellow said:

That's because you had to play those teams.  The quality was in your non-conference, not conference opponents.

That's not the point. My point wasn't that we had stronger SOS than Baylor will this year. My point was that we did compete against some high quality competition during that time. That doesn't include top 10 ranked Utah, BYU, SDSU, etc.

Nobody is saying Baylor will go all season without playing anyone. People are (correctly) saying that up to this Baylor hasn't played anyone. As such, the hype is just that: hype.

Latest posts