• The KillerFrogs

Eddie Van Halen has died....

Virginia Frog

I was just thinking about him last night when Bon Jovi was on the "Late Night" CBS show (the old letterman) with that dufus who's not funny.

Man...ESP or something.

I loved the 1985 hit "Jump."

I get up and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real

Jet Set Frog

I was just thinking about him last night when Bon Jovi was on the "Late Night" CBS show (the old letterman) with that dufus who's not funny.

Man...ESP or something.

I loved the 1985 hit "Jump."

I get up and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real

If I were to put together a playlist that represented my childhood, Jump would definitely be on there.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
November 1978. Van Halen is the opening act for Black Sabbath. The Sam Houston Coliseum sold out in about an hour. They then scheduled another show for the next night. I somehow managed to score a seat to the first show, and more importantly, as ride to the show as I was still a relative pup and not driving into the Big City at that time.

Great show. Lighters up! Stupefyingly loud. About the only stage gizmo Van Halen had was a flash-lamp board set up behind Alex that illuminated the whole place. Otherwise, they just rocked the house down.

When they finished up, about 3/4 of the place just up and left. Poor Ozzy and Geezer must have wondered "What happened?"

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Only 9 years older than Welcome to the Jungle.
Ah, but those 9 years are a yawning gulf of both style and talent.

I can remember the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in London, with the godawful Axl Rose prancing around on stage while Robert Plant and Brian May just glared at him with utter hatred. Yawning. Gulf.

I was reading something yesterday about the 40th anniversary of the passing of John Bonham, and what an impression Led Zeppelin I made at the time: 9 years before...

Last edited:

Westsider

Ah, but those 9 years are a yawning gulf of both style and talent.

I can remember the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in London, with the godawful Axl Rose prancing around on stage while Robert Plant and Brian May just glared at him with utter hatred. Yawning. Gulf.

Live Aid ?

tcudoc

Van Halen in their prime, on tour in support of their Fair Warning album.

I have several songs from this concert ripped into mp3's and on heavy rotation on my old school ipod set to shuffle. Really brings back the memories. This was on heavy rotation on MTV back when it was the best channel on cable TV.
Definitely the greatest guitarist I have ever known about. Imitated by many, but he was the innovator that started it all.
Very sad day. I have heard of his failing health for some time and expected this day was coming. Hate to hear about it though.

Last edited: