• The KillerFrogs

East Oregonian: Help needed for Lilly documentary

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
AR-181019854.jpg&MaxW=600

http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/local-sports/20181016/help-needed-for-lilly-documentary
East Oregonian: Help needed for Lilly documentary

PENDLETON — A documentary on the life of NFL Hall of Famer Bob Lilly is in the works, and Mint Farm Films needs help telling the story.

In the summer of 1956, Lilly moved from Olney, Texas, to Pendleton, where he graduated in the PHS class of 1957. During his time at the high school, he competed in the varsity football, basketball, and track programs. After attending Texas Christian University, Lilly was a defensive tackle for the Dallas Cowboys, where he would go on to win Super Bowl VI and earn an induction into the 1980 Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The production company and director Rush Olson is looking for anyone willing to talk about Lilly on camera, including any stories about him, his high school or professional teams, Pendleton life in the mid-1950s, or the McNary Dam or local Buick dealership in which his father worked. Photos, film, or mementos of Lilly’s career, his teammate Tex Ayler, Pendleton High School, or Lilly and Ayler’s attendance at the Linebacker’s Club induction in July of 2017 are also needed for the making of the documentary.

Volunteers can contact Kristen Dollarhide at the Pendleton Chamber of Commerce at (541) 276-7411, or kristen@travelpendleton.com.

Tumbleweed

I thought Bob lived in Throckmorton with his Mom and Dad. Went to high school there then Abe recruited him to TCU. In that era after the Cowboys he lived in Georgetown.

Now comes Pendelton, Oregon?

Bob was not socially active at TCU kept mostly to himself. I did see him pick up a Volkswagen off the street and politely place it on the sidewalk in front of the old Student Union.

Where when did he become a resident of Oregon?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I thought Bob lived in Throckmorton with his Mom and Dad. Went to high school there then Abe recruited him to TCU. In that era after the Cowboys he lived in Georgetown.

Now comes Pendelton, Oregon?

Bob was not socially active at TCU kept mostly to himself. I did see him pick up a Volkswagen off the street and politely place it on the sidewalk in front of the old Student Union.

Where when did he become a resident of Oregon?

He moved to Oregon for his senior year. I don’t think this has been any secret. Abe used to talk about it when he’d stroll through Milton Daniel.

This is nothing new and has b
Where when did he become a resident of Oregon?[/QUOTE]

Tumbleweed

That photo of Bob (above) is a visit to Pendelton, Oregon in July of 2017. He did live in Oregon for a little over a year because his father was able to be employed, while a dam was under construction. Then along comes TCU- Cowboys.

If you would like to read more on his current life, read "Though stay was short, football legend Bob Lilly reveres Pendelton ties."

Then visit the memorial service video of Tom Landry and a speech Bob made. BTW he said in an interview he gave, his salary for his first year as a Cowboy was 11,500. dollars. Obviously he thought the world of Tom Laundry calling him my mentor father like figure.

Frog DJ

He was uncommonly kind to a tall, skinny, awkward kid who rode his bike over to TCU in the afternoons to watch the Frogs practice.

He didn’t have to be, but he was...

Go Frogs!

Leap Frog

He was uncommonly kind to a tall, skinny, awkward kid who rode his bike over to TCU in the afternoons to watch the Frogs practice.

He didn’t have to be, but he was...

Go Frogs!

Can you imagine having two A-A first team defensive tackles at the same time (1958-1959) in Lilly and Don Floyd?
Floyd was equally good on offense and defense, and Lilly was just superb on "D"-- sharing some snaps with Joe Robb on the "O".
Together, they did much damage-- especially to SMU with Don Meredith and to Texas, maybe causing them a NC in 1959.

TX_Krötenechse

I’m friends with one of his nieces. Bob is a very private man who keeps to himself and rarely even attends events or games at TCU despite having a standing invitation to use the athletic dept box. He lives down near Austin (Georgetown or Sun City IIRC).