• The KillerFrogs

Don't think the Big East will treat us any better

Texas Otto

No just playing on week nights started back in 2006 :laugh:

Wrong genius Thursday night ESPN games have been since the original league agreement with ESPN and the SU admin at that time said there would be no home games played on campus on Thursdays as it would disrupt the campus environment and culture of the university. Now yes the whole ESPN taking over Friday and Wednesday night with college football that is a recent development, but don't talk about what you don't understand.
:tongue:

TexanMark

Mark, unfortunately this is ESPN's decision, not the BE's. If ESPN wants to put a game in Ft Worth on a Friday evening they will.

Wrong...the school always has the right to refuse. Syracuse has in the past.

And Otto is correct with one small exception. Syracuse did play one Friday night game on ESPN versus Washington to start the 2007 season. It was the Friday before Labor Day and the University wanted to see how it would work. The campus basically shuts down on Early Friday afternoon Labor Day weekend so the negative effects were minimal.

As an aside Syracuse (not announced yet) is considering the Wafe Forest home opener for a non Saturday game as it falls on Labor Day weekend.

FfldCntyFan

Wrong...the school always has the right to refuse. Syracuse has in the past.

And Otto is correct with one small exception. Syracuse did play one Friday night game on ESPN versus Washington to start the 2007 season. It was the Friday before Labor Day and the University wanted to see how it would work. The campus basically shuts down on Early Friday afternoon Labor Day weekend so the negative effects were minimal.

As an aside Syracuse (not announced yet) is considering the Wafe Forest home opener for a non Saturday game as it falls on Labor Day weekend.
If this is true (only having played one Friday game in the past) there were about 100 imposters in Syracuse uniforms the first time your school visited Rentschler Field.

Texas Otto

If this is true (only having played one Friday game in the past) there were about 100 imposters in Syracuse uniforms the first time your school visited Rentschler Field.

I thought Mark made himself very clear that SU refused to play home games the visiting team does not have the right to dictate the schedule the home team does. You may or may not be aware that SU has a quite large Jewish student population and sun down on Friday begins the Sabbath. This along with academic traditions at the school is why they instituted the policy. I am sure with high school football in Texas being almost a religion TCU will have the same power regarding home games!

:tongue:

TexanMark

Ummm we are talking about hosting games...they have played Thursday and Friday games before as the visitor. Syracuse's big issue is parking lots near the Dome are also academic/administration parking lots. It causes issues to host a game on a weekday. Like I said the school has the right to refuse to host a weeknight game.

mtmedlin

Lets be practical... Come 2012, TCU will more then likely be highest rated team in the BE...unless WV, USF, Louisville or ? really steps up (which I think at least 2 will). Do you really think they are going to put the highest rated team on Thursday or Friday? Either way, your team is about to triple their income and when the new contract starts, it will be over 10X as much. Even if you get a few friday games, its amazing how 10 or 15 million makes it feel better. :)

FfldCntyFan

One would think that the worst team in the BE would not get so many nationally televised games on ABC and ESPN the last few years.

Exactly how many nationally televised games have you had over the past few years? I can think of your recent bowl game and your visit a couple years ago to ND. I cannot think of any others.

Texas Otto

:biggrin:
Lets be practical... Come 2012, TCU will more then likely be highest rated team in the BE...unless WV, USF, Louisville or ? really steps up (which I think at least 2 will). Do you really think they are going to put the highest rated team on Thursday or Friday? Either way, your team is about to triple their income and when the new contract starts, it will be over 10X as much. Even if you get a few friday games, its amazing how 10 or 15 million makes it feel better. :)

You cannot play college home games on Friday night in Texas period it won't happen and ESPN knows it no-one would even be in the stadium. Friday night is high school football night and as sure as your goin to church on Sunday your gonna be at a high school stadium on Friday night just the way it is! :biggrin:

Texas Otto

Exactly how many nationally televised games have you had over the past few years? I can think of your recent bowl game and your visit a couple years ago to ND. I cannot think of any others.

Listen you are just a UConn football we played for 13 years and have no tradition what so ever a$$ hole so I really don't need to even pay attention to you :tongue:

fanatical frog

You cannot play college home games on Friday night in Texas period it won't happen and ESPN knows it no-one would even be in the stadium. Friday night is high school football night and as sure as your goin to church on Sunday your gonna be at a high school stadium on Friday night just the way it is! :biggrin:

All that, plus ....if you're a college coach in Texas you don't want to (Rod Gillmore)-off any high school coaches.

asleep003

We played SMU on Friday nite 9/24/10 and it was sold out. But it's really about TV $s anyway... isn't it. So maybe it's alright for you to lighten up on the aggressive nature of your comments, considering post # 61 on this thread.

stevenkpayne

You know I used to think that way but the "Block S" has grown on me...I could live with either. One improvement was our uniforms look much better in 2010 than they did in 2009.

yes they did, looked good. as for the "s" I really like the tradiitional solid orange helmet. I'm a Frog, but did three years at WVU in my doctoral program. Saw some of the best damn football back then 82, 83, 84 seasons) at mountaineer field, at pitt, pen state, didn't get to carrier. but, I'm looking forward to it in the next couple of years.

FfldCntyFan

Listen you are just a UConn football we played for 13 years and have no tradition what so ever a$$ hole so I really don't need to even pay attention to you :tongue:

I guess this means that there haven't been any nationally televised games for Cuse beyond the two I pointed out.

For all of your tradition you haven't been able to accomplish much against our traditionless team. Additionally, neither Jim Brown nor Ernie Davis will be walking through your door any day soon.

For the record. I stated weekday games, not weekday home games to which TExanMark replied that it was the school's choice, not ESPN's. He was wrong with this (although I imagine that a school can request no Friday home games and more often than not be accomodated) and then stated that the one exception was a game against Washington (again, no reference to home, road or neutral site was made). I pointed out the Friday game in 2005 when the Orange visited us at which point you jumped in, made a fool out of yourself and said "Mark made it clear that SU refused to play home games" (again because you obviously are a bit slow, home games were never specifically stated!).

For our soon to be conference brethren that follow TCU, you will find out on your own at some point before long that there are few fan bases in the country with a more deluded sense of entitlement than our Orange friends. Yes, they do have one (one) national title to their credit along with one (again, one) Heisman trophy (something BYU can match and BYU accomplished both a quarter century after Cuse did), yet their fans behave as if their historical accomplishments equal those of Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Nebraska and Oklahoma. They have a nice little history but it is nothing close to what they want to believe it was and it happened at a time when Army and Navy were still winning Heisman trophies and competing for national titles and Duke (yes, that Duke) was winning the Cotton Bowl. Their glory happened fifty years ago. Their claim as a traditional football power is similar to Loyola-Chicago claiming to be a basketball power.

TexanMark

I guess this means that there haven't been any nationally televised games for Cuse beyond the two I pointed out.

For all of your tradition you haven't been able to accomplish much against our traditionless team. Additionally, neither Jim Brown nor Ernie Davis will be walking through your door any day soon.

For the record. I stated weekday games, not weekday home games to which TExanMark replied that it was the school's choice, not ESPN's. He was wrong with this (although I imagine that a school can request no Friday home games and more often than not be accomodated) and then stated that the one exception was a game against Washington (again, no reference to home, road or neutral site was made). I pointed out the Friday game in 2005 when the Orange visited us at which point you jumped in, made a fool out of yourself and said "Mark made it clear that SU refused to play home games" (again because you obviously are a bit slow, home games were never specifically stated!).

For our soon to be conference brethren that follow TCU, you will find out on your own at some point before long that there are few fan bases in the country with a more deluded sense of entitlement than our Orange friends. Yes, they do have one (one) national title to their credit along with one (again, one) Heisman trophy (something BYU can match and BYU accomplished both a quarter century after Cuse did), yet their fans behave as if their historical accomplishments equal those of Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Nebraska and Oklahoma. They have a nice little history but it is nothing close to what they want to believe it was and it happened at a time when Army and Navy were still winning Heisman trophies and competing for national titles and Duke (yes, that Duke) was winning the Cotton Bowl. Their glory happened fifty years ago. Their claim as a traditional football power is similar to Loyola-Chicago claiming to be a basketball power.

Of course we were talking about home games...even if it was implied and I'm sure 98% of the readers realized it. This thread is a continuation off others...the basic premise is, TCU will not want to host a home football on Friday due to TX HS Football. If they play at UConn, Rutgirls, etc... on a Friday it isn't much of an issue.

BUT IT WASN'T IMPLIED...I CLEARLY STATED THIS IN POST #52 "THE BIG EAST WILL NOT FORCE TCU TO PLAY AT HOME ON FRIDAY." so you either misread my post or you lied.

BTW, the conference will not force TCU to host a game of Friday...they never forced Cuse to host games on weekdays. The only one they played was Syracuse's choice since it fell on the Friday before Labor Day weekend and was nationally televised on ESPN vs Washington back in '07. We never played at home on Thursday night but have as a visitor.

As far as entitlement goes....whatever...Syracuse, Pitt, WVU and TCU all have long and proud traditions...TCU fans will understand where we are coming from.

HG73

Isn't this great! Two different Big East posters fighting on our board. Welcome boys, you will fit right in. Seriously, if what you say is true and we don't have to play weeknight games at home, well that's terriffic. The occasional Thursday night away game won't be so bad and we'll probably have that TV night all to ourselves for great exposure. I really feel that part of our recent success has been due to our excellent coaching staff having a full week to prepare and the rythm generated by Saturday only games. Oh well, at least the travel east is easier for that occasional weeknite game.

mtmedlin

I cant prove it, but I would dare say that ESPN is well aware of Texas culture and the historical importance of HS football on friday nights. Its similar to Florida and our football tradition. USF has been asked to do several Thursday night games but Friday is pretty infrequent. Most of our games were on Saturday.
TCU is new and a great addition. Everybody will be wanting to see how they adapt to their new Conference and I would dare say ESPN will showcase that on a stronger time slot then Friday night. I'll put money that you get quite a few saturday night games and a few afternoon games. Probably 1 thursday game, since it seems all BE schools get asked to do one....but it will probably be an away game.

btw...I do love that its already starting to have a few pissing matches on your board. By the time yall hit the field in 2012, I think a few fans and teams could have a good solid hate fest! Welcome to the BE.

CuseRoc

There was the ND, Penn State game, Illinoise game, Iowa , Northwestern. All of those games were at the Carrier Dome, and all of them were either on ESPN or ABC. Now that doesnt include the return games to those teams as they were not home games hosted by SU.

And regarding your comment about SU's glory days being over 50 years ago, you seem to forget a couple of deades in the 80's and 90's that had quite a few 9, 10, and 11 win seasons that saw SU play in a couple of bcs bowls as well as other big bowls before the bcs started.

TexanMark

There was the ND, Penn State game, Illinoise game, Iowa , Northwestern. All of those games were at the Carrier Dome, and all of them were either on ESPN or ABC. Now that doesnt include the return games to those teams as they were not home games hosted by SU.

And regarding your comment about SU's glory days being over 50 years ago, you seem to forget a couple of deades in the 80's and 90's that had quite a few 9, 10, and 11 win seasons that saw SU play in a couple of bcs bowls as well as other big bowls before the bcs started.

Like Rutgirls...many UConn fans didn't know football existed before about 2004.

BTW for our UConn fan, Cuse is in the tied at #4 for most players in the NFL HOF and we should of had 3 Heisman winners as Jim Brown didn't get it as he was black and Don McPherson finished 2nd behind Tim Brown (of the Notre Dame Hype Machine). In fact Jim Brown had a memorable game versus TCU in the Cotton Bowl...you see football didn't just start 5-10 years like fans of newbie teams like to think.