• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU RB outlook for 2019: Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua are back for senior seasons

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU RB outlook for 2019: Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua are back for senior seasons, but who will take command?

By Dean Straka , Sports Digital Editor
Contact Dean Straka on Twitter: @dwstraka49

After coming short of its full potential in 2018 thanks to injuries, an inexperienced offensive line and more, TCU's backfield is set to be one of the deepest area's of the Horned Frogs' offense this fall with the return of two veteran playmakers and the arrival of several highly touted recruits.

Here is a rundown of what to expect for TCU at the running back position in 2019.

Read more t https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...lonilua-back-senior-seasons-will-take-command

AroundWorldFrog

What the heck happened to DA's years? So much unfilled potential, either by injury or whatever. Here's to hoping they both stay healthy and lead us to the Big 12 title.

Eight

What the heck happened to DA's years? So much unfilled potential, either by injury or whatever. Here's to hoping they both stay healthy and lead us to the Big 12 title.

huh? first year hicks got the bulk of the carries at over 200 and hill was the second on the team in carries with 125.

2017 hicks still leads the team in carries at 130+, but anderson's workload goes up and over 125 carries for the year.

2018 he doesn't have a great year, but still has roughly 120 or so carries. part the line, part the injuries, and part some frustration i guess, but it isn't as if he hasn't been used.

AroundWorldFrog

huh? first year hicks got the bulk of the carries at over 200 and hill was the second on the team in carries with 125.

2017 hicks still leads the team in carries at 130+, but anderson's workload goes up and over 125 carries for the year.

2018 he doesn't have a great year, but still has roughly 120 or so carries. part the line, part the injuries, and part some frustration i guess, but it isn't as if he hasn't been used.
Didn't he miss several games in both 2017 and 2018?

Zubaz

He missed most of 2018 and almost half of 2017 to injury. I think that was the point being made.

Zubaz

Edit (but without an edit button) upon further review apparently I am having some serious Mandela effect and he played every game in 2018 except the bowl? I swear I thought he was done after Kansas. And he got hurt in the OU game which was later than I thought, missing the final four of 2017. Still some significant injury time and missed three postseason games, but not totally lost seasons like I initially ought.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Edit (but without an edit button) upon further review apparently I am having some serious Mandela effect and he played every game in 2018 except the bowl? I swear I thought he was done after Kansas. And he got hurt in the OU game which was later than I thought, missing the final four of 2017. Still some significant injury time and missed three postseason games, but not totally lost seasons like I initially ought.
I thought he got hurt at Baylor last season and didn’t play against OSU or Cal.

Eight

i had a bit of time this morning to look through the game stats and anderson has had spotty track record in regards to production.

he played in 10 of 14 games and put together two series of good games. first was @ arkansas, smu and @ osu were he got 55 carries for 355 yards and 5 tds. he and a run in the 4th of each of those games to help set up the frog win.

second series was @ isu and texas were he carried 30 times for 194 yards and 1 td.

he did get hurt against ou resulting him missing the last 4 games of the year and i don't recall why he only got 2 carries against k-state.

this past year there were the rumors about him getting knicked up in fall camp, he has the big game against ohio state, but he just never looked like the same explosive back for most of the year.

how much of that was issues in the line, the quarterback play, being injured, other things, but he just never flashed the quickness and explosiveness he showed in 2017 during the 2018 season after the ohio state game.

Wexahu

this past year there were the rumors about him getting knicked up in fall camp, he has the big game against ohio state, but he just never looked like the same explosive back for most of the year.

how much of that was issues in the line, the quarterback play, being injured, other things, but he just never flashed the quickness and explosiveness he showed in 2017 during the 2018 season after the ohio state game.

I honestly thought he looked like his usual self when he did play. The blocking in front of him wasn't as good and the fact our passing game pretty much stunk made the yards a little harder to come by, but I didn't see any physical limitations at all really. Like most any runner, he needs a consistent work load and some decent blocking to be productive and he just didn't get a whole lot of either.

Eight

I honestly thought he looked like his usual self when he did play. The blocking in front of him wasn't as good and the fact our passing game pretty much stunk made the yards a little harder to come by, but I didn't see any physical limitations at all really. Like most any runner, he needs a consistent work load and some decent blocking to be productive and he just didn't get a whole lot of either.

i agree on getting consistent carries and there is no doubt of the line issues especially mid-season last season.

the one area he just didn't seem right was in 2017 there were carries when he would plant a foot in the ground and just explode past defenders.

the late runs against arkansas, smu, and the 3rd score in stillwater as well as the td against texas where he left brandon jones sprawling are the type of runs he just didn't seem to be able to make in 2018.

it might have been just me, but in 2018 there were runs when he would set that foot and just not show the same burst. even on the long run against ohio state that was more of a straight line run he bent to the outside where he was able to build up the speed instead of showing the suddenness he had in 2017.

Froggish

One thing Cumbie consistently does that is baffling is the way he rotates players...He is hell bent on making sure no RB or WR finds any rhythm. I understand he places a premium on having fresh legs but this has effected DA more than anything. The hyper speed days are mostly over so the constant rotation is stupid. What’s interesting is that as the season goes on and the rotations have to decrease due to injuries, we see guys like Reagor and Sewo go off and have massive games. IMHO, their success is as much about getting to carry the bulk of the load as much as anything else.

Sand Frog

the late runs against arkansas, smu, and the 3rd score in stillwater as well as the td against texas where he left brandon jones sprawling are the type of runs he just didn't seem to be able to make in 2018.

it might have been just me, but in 2018 there were runs when he would set that foot and just not show the same burst. even on the long run against ohio state that was more of a straight line run he bent to the outside where he was able to build up the speed instead of showing the suddenness he had in 2017.

Agree. Last year you could also see a negative attitude on the sideline. Not sure if it was a coaching issue or pissed that he was injured and not 100%, but there was definitely something going on.