• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Prediction: TCU takes SMU to the woodshed, keeps Iron Skillet in Fort Worth

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Prediction: TCU takes SMU to the woodshed, keeps Iron Skillet in Fort Worth

By EJ Holland
ej.holland@highfieldmarketing.com

Matchup: TCU at SMU, 11 a.m., CBS Sports Network

On the line: The Iron Skillet, of course! SMU and TCU’s rivalry dates all the way back to 1915. The Horned Frogs lead the all-time series, 46-40-7, and have won 12 of the last 15 matchups including last year’s blowout victory in Fort Worth. The last time SMU took home the Iron Skillet was in 2011 when the Ponies pulled off a stunner and knocked off then-ranked TCU in overtime. As far as what the game means for the rest of SMU’s season, well, nothing really. Nobody expects SMU to compete with TCU this year let alone beat the Horned Frogs.

When SMU has the ball: The Mustangs will have a new starting quarterback for the third time in as many games. With Neal Burcham out for the season, Matt Davis recovering from an injury of his own and Kolney Cassel struggling, interim head coach Tom Mason has turned to fourth string walk-on quarterback Garrett Krstich. Dan Morrison is still calling the plays, so nothing will change scheme wise. The Mustangs will still air it out with Krstich, who is responsible for SMU’s biggest offensive play of the season — a 53-yard completion to Der’rikk Thompson against Texas A&M. But the bottom line is this offense is terrible. SMU ranks dead last in points per game and 110th in passing yards per game.

When TCU has the ball: With Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meacham now running the offense, TCU has turned into high-flying, passing machine. Yes, they’ve only played Samford and Minnesota, but this unit looks much improved after last year’s struggles. Texas A&M transfer Matt Joeckel was expected to start under center, but Trevone Boykin won the job and has been masterful so far, passing for 578 yards, rushing for 121 yards and scoring five total touchdowns. TCU won’t abandon its running game, but the Horned Frogs, who rank 24th in the nation in passing yards per game, are going to air it out more than SMU fans are used to seeing.

Prediction: TCU has one of the best defenses around, and that spells trouble for a downright awful SMU offense. And the fact that the Horned Frogs have taken a couple of steps forward offensively means this one could get out of hand early. TCU 45, SMU 6.

EJ Holland is the Associate Editor at Dave Campbell’s Texas Football. You can follow him on Twitter @EJSports4. 

Portland Frog

I hope the frogs use more of the middle of the field this week in the passing game. For example, get Listenbee in space instead of having him run fades straight down the sideline all the time. Mix it up with slants, posts, etc.

LazyToadCA

Am I the only person looking for a blowout? I mean, a real blowout. The kind that is almost embarrassing because we are up 70 to nothing and the reserves are moving in for yet another score and we don't want to watch but we can't look away. I want the kind of blowout that has people talking on all the sports shows come Monday. When is the last time we had one of those? Not this year. Not last year. It's been too long. Let's do this once and for all.

2314@work

Contributor
LazyToadCA said:
Am I the only person looking for a blowout? I mean, a real blowout. The kind that is almost embarrassing because we are up 70 to nothing and the reserves are moving in for yet another score and we don't want to watch but we can't look away. I want the kind of blowout that has people talking on all the sports shows come Monday. When is the last time we had one of those? Not this year. Not last year. It's been too long. Let's do this once and for all.
I want Frogs to beat SMU so bad that Mustangs file a bullying report.

ifrog

Portland Frog said:
All the frogs need to do is win by one point. 7-6 will suffice.
They are the worst team (statistically) in college football. If we don't win by 30 than we really aren't that good.