• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Positioning in first College Football Playoff has already begun months before games are played

westoverhillbilly

I don't like the idea of a conference champion automatically getting into the playoffs.. There will be some sucky years where the Conf champ (of most any big 5) is a 3 loss, unworthy team while other conferences have 2 or more worthy teams, or a non-qualifier like the old Boise or TCU is just damn good and shouldn't be denied..

TCUSA

cdsfrog said:
Wish I could pretend the SEC wasn't a strong conference.

Their lower tiered teams often suck really bad but their top 33% is typically better than all of the conferences. Big 12 usually is pretty strong overall except last year it was incredibly weak
Ridiculous. There weren't five SEC 7teams deserving of BCS berths last year, much less 3 of four NC spots.

rifram09

westoverhillbilly said:
I don't like the idea of a conference champion automatically getting into the playoffs.. There will be some sucky years where the Conf champ (of most any big 5) is a 3 loss, unworthy team while other conferences have 2 or more worthy teams, or a non-qualifier like the old Boise or TCU is just damn good and shouldn't be denied..
I generally agree, but I'm not advocating granting auto-bids into the playoff for conferences without also advocating an expanded playoff to allow at large teams (to allow TCU, Boise, or a non-champ power 5).

And regarding an "unworthy" power-5 champion, I like the idea of allowing an auto bid in that situation anyways. Allow the committee to seed them number 8 in an 8-team playoff if you want (thereby making them travel to the number 1 seed's home stadium), but it's still a big deal to win any of the power-5 conferences. I think you'd have a lot of healthy drama if all power-5 conferences had representation, and then you still had room for the best of the rest in the three at large. TCU would have been in this playoff in 2009-2010.

Everyone wins:
- Fans get another great game on campus.
- Power-5 secure an auto bid plus the ability to make an at large slot.
- Non-power-5 leagues have a legitimate path to the championship.
- All leagues make more money on the extra revenue the additional playoff game provides.