• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Could joining Steve Sarkisian’s staff as an analyst be the resurrection Gary Patterson needs?

Eight

A cousin of mine once worked to book acts at the Soap Creek Saloon. All of those guys knew each other from back in the day. One afternoon, he took me over to Threadgill's (This was in around 2005) and we went up to the office upstairs. There, they have kept all the old posters, memorabilia and other goodies from those days. It was like walking back in time to the late 70's...

curious how much memorabilia was lost when clifford antoine was arrested and the club seized.

somewhere some irs or dea agent has one helluva man cave

Toad Jones

I imagine there are tribes within tribes.

There is likely a solid bloc of Boosters that would love to replace Sark with GP right now. The new Flavor of the Month is always popular, given Sark's miserable performance last season. Can you just imagine the dumpster fire if UT started out like LSU did after hiring Bo Pelini? Woo-hoo! You could see those flames from Fort Worth!
Gary will improve their defense AND possibly be such a hit another school may look at Patterson and offer him a job or maybe even as a head coach. That is in the back of Gary's mind and the main reason CDC will announce his new hire sometime this week. Personally I don't see another school offering him a head coaching job*. Especially if they go back and re-read all of the post from KFC before Gary's departure. GP made a collection of bad management decisions dating over a number of years. I think it has caught up with him at this point unless does a turn around, this is his best opportunity to be a part of college football again. I'm told he is in denial on those decisions still today. Someone said above he can be a part of football but in the back room without encaging as he did in the past. True, true.

BTW:* if u didn't know Kelsey is from Austin and at one time worked in the UT athletic office. Reason # two why he'll jump on this opportunity. I still wish him the best where ever he goes. I keep thinking of the times w/ GP but know he is saying to himself, if the ex UT coach, color analyst on network tv and now coach of North Carolina can do it so can I.

As a P-5 hc and a seasoned gentleman, it is very, very hard to change, learn and project that change to the players, alums, media and so on and so on.

Eight

Gary will improve their defense AND possibly be such a hit another school may look at Patterson and offer him a job or maybe even as a head coach. That is in the back of Gary's mind and the main reason CDC will announce his new hire sometime this week. Personally I don't see another school offering him a head coaching job*. Especially if they go back and re-read all of the post from KFC before Gary's departure. GP made a collection of bad management decisions dating over a number of years. I think it has caught up with him at this point unless does a turn around, this is his best opportunity to be a part of college football again. I'm told he is in denial on those decisions still today. Someone said above he can be a part of football but in the back room without encaging as he did in the past. True, true. BTW:* if u didn't know Kelsey is from Austin and at one time worked in the UT athletic office. Reason # two why he'll jump on this opportunity. I still wish him the best where ever he goes. I keep thinking of the times w/ GP but know he is saying to himself, if the ex UT coach, color analyst on network tv and now coach of North Carolina can do it so can I. As a P-5 hc and a seasoned gentleman, it is very, very hard to change, learn and project that change to the players, alums, media and so on and so on.

mack went back home where they had a very positive experience with him and they were more than happy to give him what he wants.

ironically the program under mack now is very similar to when he was there once before, recruiting out their arses, ;plenty of talent, lamb killer squad which struggles when punched in the mouth

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Gary will improve their defense AND possibly be such a hit another school may look at Patterson and offer him a job or maybe even as a head coach. That is in the back of Gary's mind and the main reason CDC will announce his new hire sometime this week. Personally I don't see another school offering him a head coaching job*. Especially if they go back and re-read all of the post from KFC before Gary's departure. GP made a collection of bad management decisions dating over a number of years. I think it has caught up with him at this point unless does a turn around, this is his best opportunity to be a part of college football again. I'm told he is in denial on those decisions still today. Someone said above he can be a part of football but in the back room without encaging as he did in the past. True, true.

BTW:* if u didn't know Kelsey is from Austin and at one time worked in the UT athletic office. Reason # two why he'll jump on this opportunity. I still wish him the best where ever he goes. I keep thinking of the times w/ GP but know he is saying to himself, if the ex UT coach, color analyst on network tv and now coach of North Carolina can do it so can I.

As a P-5 hc and a seasoned gentleman, it is very, very hard to change, learn and project that change to the players, alums, media and so on and so on.
In all honesty, I rather hoped he would leave the game and the stress of it for a while. He didn't look terribly good those last games, and the stress of facing the inevitable must have been crushing.

westoverhillbilly

At worst, Gary will make $1m+/- for a year or so and won't be any worse off for becoming a UT analyst. At best, he could find himself being named interim head coach should Sark get fired during the season which is a real possibility. If that occurred and he was exceedingly lucky and turned it around on the back end of their schedule with OU behind them, he could find himself marketable for a HC position- unlikely at UT but not completely impossible, more likely at some other P5 that may find themselves bereft of good candidates at some vulnerable point in time.

Toad Jones

In all honesty, I rather hoped he would leave the game and the stress of it for a while. He didn't look terribly good those last games, and the stress of facing the inevitable must have been crushing.
Yes you and me both. This past season did not go well with Patterson and it showed. Opportunities were to many combining that with the seasons before. Mostly his fault as the head coach b/c the blame lies at his feet. Oddly enough...well what the heck, its over now and as we know, life goes on.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Feel like GP is giving us the finger going to help Texas.

rock and roll psychedelic art GIF by Grande Dame

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
But I fear our days of beating UT are ended....After UT officially plays in SEC, there will be very few, if any, matches between the Frogs and Horns....2022, 2023 will likely be TCU losses....
Welp, Gary hasn’t been able to beat a Sonny Dykes team with better talent the past two years, what makes you so certain he can do so the next two years?

vicarfrog

I still think this is more about the Austin Music Scene, and less about sticking it to TCU.

It's like getting to moonlight twice over. He can still do something college football related and explore his music. I hope he succeeds. I watched my grandpa fall apart after he was forced into retirement. That can mess with a man.

Limp Lizard

But I fear our days of beating UT are ended....After UT officially plays in SEC, there will be very few, if any, matches between the Frogs and Horns....2022, 2023 will likely be TCU losses....
Based on....what? GP was the only coach in the world capable of leading TCU to a win over Texas?

TAINTed frog

Fwiw, sounds like a done deal. My buddy said he’s surprised it hasn’t been announced and assumes it will be this week.
From what I heard GP will still live in FW and work remotely but will obviously come to Austin frequently.
The odd thing, and maybe my buddy got confused, but GP would have a recruiting role?? I assume it’s more of a spotting talent role than actually recruiting.

Relic

FYI, it is a very old running joke about LD Bell sucking now because everyone of any talent moved to Aledo to be part of the perennial state champion football program. As a grad of LD Bell (long ago), I am still sensitive about this (not really).
I thought everybody left Bell so they wouldn't have to play all the Tongans at Trinity...by the way, I went to Trinity when the school originally opened and the football team then was abysmal.