• The KillerFrogs

Didn't go for 2..?..

Tsfardiim

GP trusts that defense.

Which is exactly what I said at the time. It surprised me that he would, but the D actually had looked good, so I guess he felt he had reason to. I thought we should go for 2 because of the result of missing it, but if Gary thought the D would hold, then there was no reason not to take the pat.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Regardless if he trust his defense or not, that seriously was one of the most boneheaded and stupidest decisions (or non-decisions) I have ever seen a coach make. Yeah I know, he has took us to 2 BCS games, yada yada yada, but there is NO excuse for not going for 2. Seriously stupid and there is not one reason on this earth that anybody can explain the rational on not going for 2 there.

PO Frog

I can understand the two point decision last week because there were costs and benefits for going for two and not going for two, so it was a coach's preference type of deal.

The problem this week is that there was literally NO downside to going for two over kicking the PAT. If you go for two and get it then great, you have a fourteen point lead. If you don't get it then oh well you have a twelve point, which puts you in the EXACT SAME POSITION as if you kicked the PAT and had a thirteen point. You would be no worse off. No matter whether you have a thirteen point lead or a twelve point lead, the opponent beats you with two touchdowns.

This is actually not completely true. Your analysis presumes that successful extra points are a given, like in the NFL. An argument can be made that a thirteen point lead can get you into overtime if the other team scores twice and botches the game winning extra point. You would lose if you have a twelve point lead and give up two scores and a botched extra point. I agree with your conclusion as far as going for it, but to say there is absolutely no risk is not really correct. Twelve points and thirteen points is not the exact same thing.

Nohitter

There IS a difference between 12 and 13. With 13, field goal and TD+PAT ties the game. At 12, you're beat.

a math major I was not...my bad...or maybe I was thinking they were going to implement the 6 point field goal.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Put simply -- what's the downside to being 12 up with 5:19 to go vs. being 13 up?

Likelihood of SDSU getting 3 possessions on you, and the 2-field-goals-1-TD scenario, are WAY less than their getting only 2 touches and scoring 7s on each...WAY less.

Love ya, Coach, but that was a goof, plain and simple.

BigEasyFrog

I disagree with the decision but whatever, it didn't come back to be a factor in the game thankfully, we won playing great defense of old. Not going to lose sleep over it.

asleep003

You always go for the 2 points if your lead is 12 ...
a)whether its 5 minutes or 25 minutes left.
b)decison isn't based on opponent possibly missing future extra pts.
c) not if your defense is playing well.
d) nor if the opposition hasn't been throwing well.
Basically there is no reason not to... we just didn't..

Sure there is one journalist in metro-plex may have the nads to ask CGP, why not.

Cheers !

asleep003

There IS a difference between 12 and 13. With 13, field goal and TD+PAT ties the game. At 12, you're beat.

a math major I was not...my bad...or maybe I was thinking they were going to implement the 6 point field goal.

You're right about not being a math major ... And there is possibly more you may need help with.

Cheers !

asleep003

Decent analogy, but if you are splitting tens, you may actually win MORE money...so there is some logic behind it. Going for 1 here on means you lose if they score two TDs, which is all they had time to do. NO logic behind it.

Froggy, if you really want to split 10s(a '20' and sure winner 85-90% of the time) be my guest... but like you too much to let you go down that road. It's called a bird in the hand.

Cheers !

asleep003

I'm not that mad about the 2 pt try. CGP probably felt that if we couldn't hold them with 5 minutes left then we probably didn't deserve to win.

You don't really believe that .?. as defense has been week all season and they were able to put 2 quick touchdowns earlier. I'm not mad either, just ... well, lets say, disappointed or confused at that decision.

Cheers !

asleep003

What if you are ahead by 12 in the second quarter? Plenty of time for a TD and two field goals.....

Why not go for two all of the time?

Already responded in post #12... but here we go again. 2 point trys are not even a 50% success rate and extra points are extremely high, say 18-19 out of 20... basically a sure deal. But an extra point to 13 doesn't help you any more than 12 points if they score 2TDs. However, they can't beat you with a TD and a field goal if you have 12 or 13 pts. If they score the 2 TDs and make almost for sure extra point on both TDs... you still lose at 12 or 13, unless you make that 2 point try earlier.... so you always go for the 2 pt. conversion.

Cheers !