• The KillerFrogs

Did Horns duck a rematch with Wisconsin?

Nolaeer

Note to mods: Please change Horns to Frogs or Horned Frogs. That is what i get for starting a topic before drinking my coffee. Sorry. Not sure how to edit title on this forum(even after coffee).

http://www.buckys5th...d-for-opponents

Hi Frogs,

Just wanted a fans insight on not played a high profile game. Being in the BE, which is perceived as the weakest of the BCS conferences, it is good for our conference to win big ooc games. And though it has been awhile for us, most recall our bowl wins over UGA and Oklahoma.

But WVU also plays a very competitive ooc schedule. We have LSU coming to Morgantown this year, and travel to Maryland. Went to baton rough last year. The 2 years before that we split a home and home with Auburn with each team winning its home game.

We have an upcoming home and home series with Florida State and Michigan State, as well as the annual matchup with the Terps. Pitt has Notre Dame every year, as well as Utah and Iowa.

It raises the BE's profile to play name teams. Beating them is the key of course, but you must play them to beat them.

Nolaeer

i searched 5 pages saw nothing. My bad if it is an old topic. Was recently sent to me by one of my FSU friends bashing the BE.

10 Key Frog

You can find the reasons in any number of threads. The biggest is that it would have been all on Wisconsins terms. We needed home games but Wisconsin wanted us in Madison with no return game. At that time we had 4 home games scheduled so it made no sense to play another road game and not have half of our games at home.

Not to mention the weekend they wanted us to play them was the first weekend of the season when we already had a road game scheduled vs traditional rival Baylor. So it wouldn't have helped our search for games to replace one scheduled game with another since Baylor is already trying to avoid playing us in the future and would have taken the opportunity to cancel on us rather than move the game.

maximilian

i searched 5 pages saw nothing. My bad if it is an old topic. Was recently sent to me by one of my FSU friends bashing the BE.

Your friend sent you an article from February 3rd.

I'll give you the cliff notes version of this argument:

What other school in the country would accept a one time road game against a team they ALREADY BEAT IN A NEW YEARS DAY BOWL under the grandest stage? No return game at their home stadium, and missing their 4 year starting QB, 4/5 of their offensive line and most of their #1 ranked overall defense.

The answer is none. No other school would agree to those terms.

Nolaeer

Your friend sent you an article from February 3rd.

I'll give you the cliff notes version of this argument:

What other school in the country would accept a one time road game against a team they ALREADY BEAT IN A NEW YEARS DAY BOWL under the grandest stage? No return game at their home stadium, and missing their 4 year starting QB, 4/5 of their offensive line and most of their #1 ranked overall defense.

The answer is none. No other school would agree to those terms.

Article failed to mention the game was in Madison. I assumed it was a neutral site game, like the LSU-Oregon game. WVU would never do a one and done road game either. One advantage of being in the BE, a BCS conference, is it should help the Frogs scheduling more home and home games with other BCS teams. Louisville and USF have been able to do so after leaving CUSA, and I can think of no reason TCU with its success will not be able to schedule big teams home and home as well.

WVU and Pitt have one advantage in stadium size(though Pitt does not have the fans to fill their stadium which they share with the Steelers). But if memory serves TCU is doing a substantial upgrade of its facilities. Once your stadium holds over 50k i see no reason teams from other BCS conferences would not play at your home field.

jack the frog

You can find the reasons in any number of threads. The biggest is that it would have been all on Wisconsins terms. We needed home games but Wisconsin wanted us in Madison with no return game. At that time we had 4 home games scheduled so it made no sense to play another road game and not have half of our games at home.

Not to mention the weekend they wanted us to play them was the first weekend of the season when we already had a road game scheduled vs traditional rival Baylor. So it wouldn't have helped our search for games to replace one scheduled game with another since Baylor is already trying to avoid playing us in the future and would have taken the opportunity to cancel on us rather than move the game.

Not to mention they had their chance at the Rose Bowl and lost.

:wink:

maximilian

Article failed to mention the game was in Madison. I assumed it was a neutral site game, like the LSU-Oregon game. WVU would never do a one and done road game either. One advantage of being in the BE, a BCS conference, is it should help the Frogs scheduling more home and home games with other BCS teams. Louisville and USF have been able to do so after leaving CUSA, and I can think of no reason TCU with its success will not be able to schedule big teams home and home as well.

WVU and Pitt have one advantage in stadium size(though Pitt does not have the fans to fill their stadium which they share with the Steelers). But if memory serves TCU is doing a substantial upgrade of its facilities. Once your stadium holds over 50k i see no reason teams from other BCS conferences would not play at your home field.

The renovation will actually reduce seating. The stadium can already hold over 50K (see Utah, 2009), but will see a scale back to around 45K (estimates, maybe someone on the board has better figures than me), with the ability to expand to near 50K, depending on the match up.

The biggest reason IMO for teams ducking playing a home and home with TCU is simply the no win situation for the school playing the Frogs. Much like playing Boise State the last few seasons, if you're a BCS school and you beat them, you were supposed to. But if you lose, it could potentially cost you a spot in a bowl. Look at Oregon State last year; they played TCU, Boise and Louisville for their OOC. They ended up 5-7. If they played 2 MAC or Sun Belt cream puffs instead, they would have undoubtedly gone bowling.

It sucks, but that's the reality of the BCS. Now that TCU will be in the Big East, more schools will see the advantage of a higher profile match up against a Big East school, rather than a Mountain West champ.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
The renovation will actually reduce seating. The stadium can already hold over 50K (see Utah, 2009), but will see a scale back to around 45K (estimates, maybe someone on the board has better figures than me), with the ability to expand to near 50K, depending on the match up.

Stadium capacity pre-renovation was 44,008. Seating's going to be reduced to about 43K, according to Del Conte. The reason the Utah game was 50K was a) students were stacked like sardines and b) SRO was available.

NavySupplyFrog

Ahh the Utah game. My row was so filled that I stood sideways the whole time and could not imagine any other way to watch a game in the student game. Place was rocking, memory of a lifetime right there.

Big Frog II

We will agree to the matchup when Auburn goes to Eugene, Stanford to Blacksburg, Ohio State to Fayetteville, and OU to Connecticut for one and dones.

Rabble Rouser

Note to mods: Please change Horns to Frogs or Horned Frogs. That is what i get for starting a topic before drinking my coffee. Sorry. Not sure how to edit title on this forum(even after coffee).

http://www.buckys5th...d-for-opponents

Hi Frogs,

Just wanted a fans insight on not played a high profile game. Being in the BE, which is perceived as the weakest of the BCS conferences, it is good for our conference to win big ooc games. And though it has been awhile for us, most recall our bowl wins over UGA and Oklahoma.

But WVU also plays a very competitive ooc schedule. We have LSU coming to Morgantown this year, and travel to Maryland. Went to baton rough last year. The 2 years before that we split a home and home with Auburn with each team winning its home game.

We have an upcoming home and home series with Florida State and Michigan State, as well as the annual matchup with the Terps. Pitt has Notre Dame every year, as well as Utah and Iowa.

It raises the BE's profile to play name teams. Beating them is the key of course, but you must play them to beat them.

Don't worry about our future ooc tough guy, we've got it covered:

2012- Virginia, Oklahoma, @SMU
2013- @LSU, SMU
2014- LSU, @SMU
2015- @Arkansas, SMU
2016- Arkansas, @SMU
tbd- Texas Tech

My suggestion to you is that you worry about your own program and you hire a permanent driver for your new coach before he really starts to make headlines.

Nolaeer

Don't worry about our future ooc tough guy, we've got it covered:

2012- Virginia, Oklahoma, @SMU
2013- @LSU, SMU
2014- LSU, @SMU
2015- @Arkansas, SMU
2016- Arkansas, @SMU
tbd- Texas Tech

My suggestion to you is that you worry about your own program and you hire a permanent driver for your new coach before he really starts to make headlines.

SMU and UVA are not viewed as tough ooc games. LSU and Arkansas are good gets for TCU. Of course so is OU. TO be honest even if you disagree TCU will get media exposure playing in the BE, and the perception at least will be that your conference schedule is tougher with Pitt, WVU, USF, and a rebounding cuse and louisville on it.

Fairly or not, TCU, because WVU and Pitt have both been down of late, is viewed as the white knight riding into the conference to save it from football obscurity. So that is why you see interest in the Horned Frogs from other BE posters who did not really follow you much(we did beat you in a bowl back in the 80's) previously. TCU has had a good run. And all of the football schools are excited to have you in the conference.

That said, WVU does hope to reverse a trend we had under head coach Bill Stewart and get back to playing good football. Of course that remains to be seen. TCU should be the favorites to win the BE title when they enter the BE, but I do think it is going to be a tougher conference by the time you enter than it was last year.

Cuse, USF, and louisville are trending up-if they can keep their coaches they should continue to do so.

Pitt and WVU likely cannot do worse and are about to enter uncharted waters with new coaches. I think uconn will regress, as will cinn. though they both have respectable coaches. Rutgers is Rutgers. I cant even recall the last time they beat us in Morgantown-or beat us at all for that matter.

Good luck this coming season. The entire BE wishes the Horned Frogs another great season since you are carrying our banner now.

Rabble Rouser

SMU and UVA are not viewed as tough ooc games.

SMU is our cross-town rival and the only traditional rival we have left that will play us annually, so the SMU game isn't going anywhere as we don't schedule it to be a "tough ooc game," but instead to carry on a tradition. Kinda like how you guys play Marshall most years, except SMU is much better than Marshall in just about everyway.

As far as Virginia goes I would say they're about on par with Maryland from a perception standpoint, another team you play almost every year.

The biggest reason our scheduling has looked suspect the last two years is because Texas Tech backed out on us at the last minute two seasons in a row and left us scrambling to find decent opponents. Look for us to schedule at least one big dog (OU, LSU, Ark) a year and if that's not good enough for you then tough.

You should spend less time worrying about who we schedule and more time worrying about how you are going to beat us when we come into the BE in 2012 locked and loaded with Texas kids that are gonna beat the snot out of you. Holgerson and his offense don't scare us, we played Tech in 2006 when he was coaching there under his bff Leach and they left with a whopping 3 points!!!!

All this said good luck against LSU this year and I can't wait until we are conference mates and hope we can create a nice little rivalry with the Eer's as we play eachother for BE championships over the next few years.