• The KillerFrogs

Deseret News: Jealousy abounds over BYU, Texas network deals

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Deseret News: Jealousy abounds over BYU, Texas network deals

By Vai Sikahema, For the Deseret News

Some of you may have missed the little blurb in Sports Illustrated recently about the dust up in the Big 12 Conference over the University of Texas’ Longhorn Network. Seems the rest of the conference isn't thrilled that UT's television network will gain an unfair advantage with recruits by televising Texas high school football games, much less its own games.

The commish of the Big 12 has issued a moratorium on the Longhorn Network televising Texas high school games until conference members meet to hash out a resolution.

According to the article by Michael Rosenberg, Texas had threatened last year to leave the Big 12, which has a $90 million-a-year TV contract with Fox, but stayed because the conference "gave them the freedom to cut their own (TV) deal," which it did with ESPN.

Now, there's turmoil within the ranks because Texas has its own television network.

Sound familiar? ...

Limey Frog

"BYU, Texas..."?! Wha...?

Just when I was starting to not be able to bother hating BYU anymore, something like this article comes along to save the day by reminding me what a delusional bunch of utter nut-jobs these guys are. UT's arrogance may be annoying, but it least it's based on their actual wealth and power.

Everyone at BYU seems to be the adult version of that kid who wasn't popular at school because he was annoying, but his mother told him it was because the others were jealous. They weren't jealous, but he believed her.

Way to go BYU, we're so jealous of BYU-TV. I wish TCU's games vs. New Mexico State could be televised on a channel whose regular programing largely consists of group "bible" studies from the book of Moses. Way to freakin' go.

Clap... clap... clap... clap.

Atomic Frawg

I find it hard to beleive that hey think this is jealousy as opposed to a rules violation when it comes to broadcasting high school games.

57Frog

I have never watched either of these channels . What's to be jealous of ?
That cult is living on hopes of jealousy and persecution .
Go Frogs ....Do it now .

froginaustin

I hope this article is posted on a BE board or 2, for the edification of those uninformed enough to believe that BYU would be a good business partner in a conference.

Genbukan

What a putz! The whole media world is screaming for content but byu thinks the key is having an on campus studio and a hi def tv truck! Byu tv fills their schedule with programing with a stimulative capacity that pales in comparison to a local public access station! Meanwhile the longwhorn network is looking to fill timeslots with high school games - a formula that at best is unproven and realistically will have little to no national or even regional draw.

Single school networks are going to have a very hard time making things work. Notre Dame, with a potential audience of what... eighty million catholics isn't trying to fill 24 hour a day programming. Conference networks can work because of the content that comes with the numbers. Single university networks will have to be subsidized.

SFA Frog

Notre Dame should hook up with EWTN. Back in my freshman year of HS when we only had an antennae it was one of the 4 channels that always came in clearly.

57Frog

Once Utah left for the Pac12, BYU should have gone straight to the Big12 and begged for admission. Independence will get them nowhere.
I think the draw back is ...no sunday sporting events and 24 to 26 year old players . 3 years of red shirt is a drawback .
Besides they whine and cry all the time about anything .
Go frogs ...do it now .

SnoSki

The BYU/Provo/Utah/SLC Media group is one of the biggest circle jerks I have ever seen. And that's putting it nicely.

macaroni

47531_427696276774_709421774_5097934_2971129_n.jpg