• The KillerFrogs

Defense not our primary Shortcoming

asleep003

Defense is not our strength right now vs our past, but the penalties are our biggest problem... for instance: 

Texas Tech
1) We put up 143 more Total Offense than TT and 166 more Total Yards... yet we win by a field goal.
2) Gave TT Six  first downs on penalties/with a total of 110 yads vs TT's 3 penalties of only 32 yds.
3) BU beat TT by 4 TDs on 44 more Total offense... TT had 17 penalties/142 yds; twice that of BU's.

Kansas St.
1) Again, we had 158 more Total Offense than KSU, but could only muster up a very late 1 TD win.
2) We had a total of 312 more Total Yds, but gave KSU 6 first downs on 11 penalties, for 110 yds.
3) KSU only had 3 penalties for a total of 35 yards.

ISU would be a great game to work on our discipline... both offense and defense, but primarily on the
D side of the Ball. Our penalties helped KSU with a couple TDs... and definately cost us, at least one. 

Cheers !

asleep003

Horny4TCU said:
Penalties are killing an already weakened defense... 

Even as bad and undisciplined as UT looked, we still had twice as many penalties and penalty yards as the Horns did... a lot of work ahead of us, prior to heading into the hardcore part of the schedule.

Cheers !.

Don't have the facts to back this up, but after watching most of the Big XII games available to me this year, I come away with the impression that in most games the number of penalties is highly unbalanced -- one team (and not always the same team) generally seems to have significantly more penalties than the other.  Not sure if a normal distribution can be expected, since penalties should be non-random occurrences correlated with low talent level, lack of ability to concentrate, and/or poor coaching.  But the only other major variable would be the quality of officiating.

Somebody with more time and energy than I have might want to prove me wrong?

TK2000

Clean up the punting as well. Short punts gave K State short fields a couple times last night. Not sure what's going on there

SwissArmyFrog

Still remember the snap from center KSU made that went haywire and resulted in much lost yardage on 3rd down...nullified by a defensive offsides penalty. 

Penalties are frustrating.

asleep003

BigRedFrog said:
Don't have the facts to back this up, but after watching most of the Big XII games available to me this year, I come away with the impression that in most games the number of penalties is highly unbalanced -- one team (and not always the same team) generally seems to have significantly more penalties than the other.  Not sure if a normal distribution can be expected, since penalties should be non-random occurrences correlated with...
low talent level,
lack of ability to concentrate,
and/or poor coaching.  
But the only other major variable would be the quality of officiating.

Somebody with more time and energy than I have might want to prove me wrong?

Think you have to throw in inexperience game time too.

Cheers !

asleep003

SwissArmyFrog said:
Still remember the snap from center KSU made that went haywire and resulted in much lost yardage on 3rd down...nullified by a defensive offsides penalty. 

Penalties are frustrating.

Believe that one was a purposeful missed snap to catch one of our DEs beyond the nuetral zone ... smart play by the KSU center. But yes, it is frustrating and the 1st half was most of our penalties when we finished 18 points behind and the second half we scored 35 to 10 points, with many less mistakes. 

Cheers !

TCUdirtbag

Mistletoad said:
Think you have to throw in inexperience game time too.

Cheers !
Completely agree with this.

In TCU's case, as I seem to recall, it's been our less experienced players drawing most of the penalties. Hoping they clean that up ASAP.

It's been said many times, but the schedule sets up to be somewhat forgiving of our youth/inexperience on defense (and Turpin). But we're quickly approaching the point where we can't afford the mistakes we've been making.

Horny4TCU

TCUdirtbag said:
But we're quickly approaching the point where we can't afford the mistakes we've been making.

We cannot afford the officials we have been having. 

Hope we can get this addressed and sorted out in the bi week.

asleep003

TCUdirtbag said:
Completely agree with this.

In TCU's case, as I seem to recall, it's been our less experienced players drawing most of the penalties. Hoping they clean that up ASAP.

It's been said many times, but the schedule sets up to be somewhat forgiving of our youth/inexperience on defense (and Turpin). But we're quickly approaching the point where we can't afford the mistakes we've been making.

Don't know when that's going to happen, and is why ISU is a very good game to focus to work on this. 4 games ago, at SMU, we handed them 5 1st downs on penalties, while no 1st downs on penalties to us. That helped them stay in the game to the very end... though we had more than 200 yds total offense than them. So not sure when that learning curve is going to kick in.

Cheers !

asleep003

Hoosierfrog said:
Really. Seems to me one or two more stops in either game and we aren't talking about miracles regardless of punting or anything else.

Think we did make those kind of stops a few more times ... but penalties nullified them.

Cheers !

SwissArmyFrog

Esteridge on the broadcast mentioned CGP saying that the bye week would be significant and needed, and allow him to make some significant changes re: the defense.