• The KillerFrogs

Defense gave up 600 yards

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Aug 15 2010, 07:51 PM) [snapback]613191[/snapback]
So we should all be talking negative about TCU and down play all their success? You want the media to bash us in every publication? What exactly are you wanting?

Gotta admit that Gunner is confusing me as well. Can't have it both ways.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Gunner @ Aug 15 2010, 12:56 PM) [snapback]612973[/snapback]
Don't get your hopes up of beating Oregon State. OSU is a early season runner and have beaten USC in a first game, to prove it.

Our defense knows our offense's plays, backwards and forwards. Watched Brock Friday and the safties coach was trying to get him moved over, and he was resisting because he already knew what play was coming. He was there almost before the play developed.

But still the offense wore the defense out in the big scrimmage Saturday. GP was shouting that the defense played terrible. 600 yards and now we know what it is really like without Sanders playing the run and Hughes dominating his side.

Thinking we might lose that game to Oregon State and face some rebuilding during September.

We got a target on our backs, and everyone, and I mean everyone is "shooting" at us.....

:wacko: Dumbest post of the pre-season.

SnoSki

QUOTE(Nick Danger @ Aug 16 2010, 07:25 AM) [snapback]613276[/snapback]
FWIW some Baylor fans took the bait....
TCU Scrimmage thread

Pretty funny. those guys are licking their chops..

"SO YOU'RE SAYIN THERE'S A CHANCE!"
a_chance.jpeg

Gunner

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Aug 16 2010, 01:11 PM) [snapback]613289[/snapback]
:wacko: Dumbest post of the pre-season.

U would know all about that. About dumb. Think you said the same thing when I predicted the SMU upset. :biggrin:

QUOTE(Gunner @ Aug 16 2010, 10:37 AM) [snapback]613344[/snapback]
U would know all about that. About dumb. Think you said the same thing when I predicted the SMU upset. :biggrin:

You're just mad at yourself because you predicted a win over Texas in 2007 and were wrong. Geez Gunner, everytime I think you're alright, you throw out a doozie like this. Get a grip.

Zubaz

The obvious problem with this is that Offense has a natural advantage in intra-team scrimmages. Defense can't go balls-out to try and MDK the QB. Hell, they can't even touch him. They aren't running 100% forward to cream a WR or RB the way they would be in a live game situation.

The offense can run more or less at full speed whereas the defense is hampered by the threat of injuring a key offensive player. That gives the O an advantage in any game that they play. Considering that, it's not at all surprising.

Frog Attack II

Not sure what Gunner hopes to accomplish here...

Fans are excited, media starting to buy-in, etc... it's a PR dream (with the stadium announcement and all).

If we truly are a "program" now, then we better learn to deal w/ high expectations and hype. If we can't handle it, then we're pretenders.

Guess Gunner thinks we're pretenders. Or, he's extremely superstitious and this is just his way of coping w/ the hype.... or he thinks that he can influence other boards which then influence their teams. :wacko:

It's Patterson's job to keep kids grounded - not ours.

If we're a program, then we handle the hype & play our best.

Gunner, winning or losing has nothing to do w/ what this board predicts or thinks will happen!

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Todd D. @ Aug 16 2010, 10:46 AM) [snapback]613422[/snapback]
The obvious problem with this is that Offense has a natural advantage in intra-team scrimmages. Defense can't go balls-out to try and MDK the QB. Hell, they can't even touch him. They aren't running 100% forward to cream a WR or RB the way they would be in a live game situation.

The offense can run more or less at full speed whereas the defense is hampered by the threat of injuring a key offensive player. That gives the O an advantage in any game that they play. Considering that, it's not at all surprising.

On the other hand, the defense knows pretty much every single play that is coming, because they've seen them all roughly 100 times before.

desmith03

Give Gunner a break; it's self-preservation. Living through 2003, 2005, 2007 & 2008 can make even the most stout-hearted Frog fan nervous.

To me, though, the program has built on every stumble to come back stronger in future seasons. Normally, I'd be in the "nervous-as-heck" camp, but this squad has me comfortably on the bandwaggon even before the first game. Tapping the breaks is understandible, though.

byuhog

I think it's understandable to have some concerns when your defense gives up 600 yards on offense. Why? That doesn't happen everyday at TCU or with a usualy stout defense like TCU's.

I do remember Patterson making the same statement last year about the defense and the D turned out pretty dang good. He said something like they were the worst he's ever seen or something. Fired em up pretty good though.

TCU has a good offense. Might be the best this decade. They have more returning starters(than the defense) I think and Dalton of course. Since the defense has lost some key spots there will be a learning curve and time to adjust. And it may not be as good as last year's defense, but i've no doubt TCU's defense will be alright somehow. may take em awhile, but TCU should be strong enogh to beat Oregon-st, even if the defense isn't running on all cylinders. And it can't when you are replacing or trying to replace Hughes, Sanders, other corner, Washington, etc.. Not unless the talent and skill you have exceeds what you had before or learns quicker, etc..

Every fan site needs a Gunner to temper enthusiasm with a bit of reality. You do need to watch for overconfidance-especially in TCU's case. TCU is a target. They are the team to beat in the MWC right now. Everyone wants to win and prove how good they are.

I think it's a good thing though to have expectations. And it's nice to get media recognitions, nice pre-season rankings, however I think Gunner is right there in ways. The team may be annointed by some media, but ultimately you still have to earn it and overconfidance can creep in, players can underperform(BYU snuck up in 2006 I think when TCU was climbing up the rankings at #17 in one)... I'm not saying TCU will lose to Oregon-st or have a bad season, but you fight to get to the top and you have to fight to stay there. One off game and you lose. Oregon-st has the talent that is capable of beating many teams, but they have their own rebuilding issues and at a key spot-QB. If he's not extraordinarily talented and experienced(and we know he's not that experienced), then TCU's defense might not even have that much trouble against him. And even if TCU's defense plays well, I wouldn't be willing to annoint TCU's defense as the next greatest thing or that everything will be fine for all the others games-they're going to face QB's in the MWC that are better and more experienced that Katz at Oregon-st.

Now if TCU beat Utah at Utah in the first four games, that would be a good indicator that the defense IS playing well and at a high level(I think Wynn is a good QB and getting better). You need a good measuring stick and I'm not sure that Oregon-st will be that great of one. Wynn did well against TCU last year as a fresman IMO and I can only think he's do even better at the comforts of home this year...

Generally though- a lot of times your defense has an edge and sometimes tends to play better than the offense in summer camp. And it will swing back and forth. Momentum shifts.

Not the greatest sign in the world that the D gave up all those yards, but not the worst considering the circumstances that TCU might have one of it's or the best offense of this decade with a very seasoned Dalton at the helm, RB's returning, Kerley, etc.. I've been impressed with Dalton myself and kinda wish he were already gone this year, but if BYU managed to win somehow-it would be a savory victory-to beat Dalton at the top of his game. Right? Right. :)

That might've been the worst day the defense has all summer, but if it still continues-then yes, you should have some concerns.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(byuhog @ Aug 16 2010, 03:01 PM) [snapback]613679[/snapback]
Every fan site needs a Gunner to temper enthusiasm with a bit of reality.

You want ours?

byuhog

yes, Gunner can join us if he likes. :) But he has to wear blue most saturdays and teach BYUfans how to tailgate better....

Gunner's not crazy. He's just careful. And BYU has it's own smorgasboard of fans to another perfect season(yeah last one was 1984) to doom and gloom. More of the pie in the sky sort though.

You need to be or have a little skepticism sometimes. Any talented team-aka Oregon-st., ahem-even South Florida(who beat Fl-st at home), can beat a better team at times.

I don't think the sky is falling, but if TCU's defense really does have problems or weak spots, TCU could drop a few games-to Utah at SLC, to a potentially potent and talented, but young BYU team... Hmmmm. Well, okay maybe just 2 games at worse. I don't think TCU has any really challenging OOC games this year right?

steelfrog

Tier 1
Not overconfidence. That's not an issue. You can't be too confident. You CAN lack motivation, and I don't see this group lacking motivation.

As for the questioning how good they are, the only people who do that are fans. Not the team. Think about it, when you go to your job, are you thinking, "Oh, I hope I'm good today. I hope I bring it. I hope I can muster the motivation to do my job."

Hell no! They are planning on how to kick some Duck Bohinnie when they travel to the Left Coast.

So, let's recognize that the hand wringing is being done only by the impotent fans, not by the players or coaches.

That is all.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(Daniel @ Aug 16 2010, 04:09 PM) [snapback]613455[/snapback]
Give Gunner a break; it's self-preservation. Living through 2003, 2005, 2007 & 2008 can make even the most stout-hearted Frog fan nervous.

Jane you ignorant slut.

Umm, try living through the late 80s and early 90s. Then even 8-4 looks good to you...

Houston Frog

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Aug 16 2010, 03:31 PM) [snapback]613720[/snapback]
Think about it, when you go to your job, [SIZE=12pt]are you thinking,[/SIZE] "Oh, I hope I'm good today. I hope I bring it. [SIZE=12pt]I hope I can muster the motivation to do my job."[/SIZE]

Yes, every morning

thetoe

QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Aug 16 2010, 09:03 AM) [snapback]613444[/snapback]
If OrSt had our offense, then I would be worried. Two Words : FRESHMAN QUARTERBACK

What does this have to do with OSU?

(hint: Ryan Katz is a sophomore) :biggrin: