• The KillerFrogs

DC Joe Gillespie let go

Sangria Wine

Dang it. This was kind of deflating. We better hope for better luck with this hire.
There definitely seems to be a theme. I sure wanted 2022 to be a recurring level of competitiveness, but I’m having a hard time seeing why that would be the case. Here’s to a big hire who turns the defense into a formidable unit.

tetonfrog

Context:

Dykes is always gonna be a tempo, play fast no-huddle offense. The D is always gonna give up a lot of points because there will be a lot of possessions for opposing offenses. To win games, the D must force turnovers. It is Ok to give up 35 points as long as the D wins the turnover battle & sets up the offense.

For example, the 2014 TCU D allowed points, but featured ballhawks. Even in our big wins like the bowl games, TCU won the turnover battle with key turnovers. Boykin threw a couple of bad picks, but the D bailed them out every time.

In 2015, the Frog D really slumped & didn’t force many TOs. That led to the D getting gassed & exposed. It drove GP crazy. As far as TOs, you can make the same comparison in years 1 & 2 of the Sonny years.

Whoever the new DC is, forcing TOs has to job #1.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
I think the 21 defense was way worse, and I was willing to give him a chance this year just based on the fact of what he inherited. It just was too painfully obvious that you couldn't not become a legit conference championship contender running such a soft defense.
7 returning starters and had one of the worst defenses in the country with few defensive injuries.

Context:

It is unclear to me how a good offensive coach cannot recognize well schemed and coordinated defense. An offensive coach evaluates and schemes against defense as his job, to beat each defense on a weekly basis. His offense is schemed to most effectively beat defense.

Following from that, it seems to me that a good offensive coordinator should fairly quickly be able to become a good defensive coordinator if asked too.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

Hell, I'll even add that it wasn't even pleasant to watch in 2022 even when we won. I even posted on here after each game: "man, great win but that was not fun to watch at all." Just excruciating. It was because of our defense. Had we not had a Heisman candidate at QB...
Yes, the only thing we did consistently well defensively in 2022 was get turnovers when it really mattered. That's great and you need turnovers, but your defense can't live and die on timely interceptions.

CryptoMiner

It is unclear to me how a good offensive coach cannot recognize well schemed and coordinated defense. An offensive coach evaluates and schemes against defense as his job, to beat each defense on a weekly basis. His offense is designed to most effectively beat defense.

Following from that, it seems to me that a good offensive coordinator should fairly quickly be able to become a good defensive coordinator if asked too.
Cal has had significant budget restrictions which are not applicable at TCU. Nonsensical to bring this up.

Sangria Wine

Cal has had significant budget restrictions which are not applicable at TCU. Nonsensical to bring this up.
Cal was paying Sonny the same money Auburn was paying their head coach. He was among the top 40 paid coaches in the country. I’m not sure I’d say that’s some kind of budgetary constrained freebie situation…

Comparing Cal to TCU is oranges to apples.

Remember one time Sonny and team were getting ready for practice in the Cal Stadium and they were run off by the band who said they reserved it first. Cal AD backed them up. Think that would ever happen in the state of Texas?
Sonny is too classy to go into detail abt this publicly (more than he has, and certainly not yrs after the fact), but he was miserable at Cal from the first step on campus. He had limited resources. Little support. And stuff like that (the band reserving the field) happening on a regular basis. Commitments to facilities made to him prior to the hiring were never honored. You could go on and on. He found himself in an impossible position to succeed and it was untenable. But, alas, he handled the whole situation with class.