• The KillerFrogs

Dana H: K St best coached team in the country

Hemingway

I would hate to see it for the Big 12 overall, but for TCU I would be pretty happy if Michigan State would send a truck full of cash to the Little Apple, pick Kleiman up and get him out of there.
I posted this because I think Sonny is a great offensive mind, but he’s not being a great Head Coach right now. He says he does nationwide searches for coordinators but everyone he picks is to some degree associated with Stephanville. Personal issues aside , what has Briles coached to massive achievements? What has JG done ? We aren’t using our resources. We have the money and location, recruiting and etc. Why aren’t we known for great coaching right now? This was the best from nationwide searches?

tmcats

I would hate to see it for the Big 12 overall, but for TCU I would be pretty happy if Michigan State would send a truck full of cash to the Little Apple, pick Kleiman up and get him out of there.

coach klieman has publicly said already that he's not interested in the michigan state job. he had turned down interest there before they hired the guy they just fired. furthermore ...

Frogfam4

coach klieman has publicly said already that he's not interested in the michigan state job. he had turned down interest there before they hired the guy they just fired. furthermore ...
That is what a coach has to say during the season...When they throw money and other incentives at them they change their tune. In most cases,.

He could be correct. Kleiman's record at North Dakota State prior to being hired at Kansas State. He's not flashy, but the man can coach.

North Dakota State[edit]​

In 2011, Craig Bohl hired Klieman as a defensive backs coach. He became the defensive coordinator the following season in 2012 until being promoted in 2014. After Bohl announced that he was leaving to become the head coach of Wyoming, then-athletic director Gene Taylor promoted Klieman to become the 30th head football coach in Bison history in 2014.

After winning three consecutive National Championships and going 43–2 since 2011, the expectations for the 2014 team were not high. The Bison had lost their starting quarterback and a total of 30 seniors who graduated before the season started. But 2014 surprised everyone when he and future 2nd overall NFL draft pick Carson Wentz led the Bison to a 15–1 overall record and a fourth consecutive national championship by beating Illinois State in a close, hard-fought championship game. NDSU became the first Division 1 football program to win four consecutive championships.

In 2015, the Bison continued their winning ways and ended the season 13–2 with a fifth consecutive national championship, the most by any NCAA football program in history.

In 2016, the Bison again won their conference title, but lost in the FCS semi-finals to James Madison, their first playoff loss in 6 years. They ended the year at 12–2, their sixth straight season with double-digit wins. The 2017 season continued the Bison dominance by again going 10–1 and winning their seventh consecutive MVFC title and avenging the previous year's loss to James Madison by beating them in the Championship Game 17–13. It was Klieman's third national championship in four seasons and the Bison's sixth in seven years. They won it all again in 2018.

tmcats

That is what a coach has to say during the season...When they throw money and other incentives at them they change their tune. In most cases,.
he's turned down interest from nebraska, purdue, and michigan state (twice). the only job in that league he'd take is iowa, perhaps, his home state.

there's more to life than money. that's hard to understand for people who don't have it. and by the way, north dakota state has fallen off the table since he left for k-state.

images

Last edited:

Wexahu

I posted this because I think Sonny is a great offensive mind, but he’s not being a great Head Coach right now. He says he does nationwide searches for coordinators but everyone he picks is to some degree associated with Stephanville. Personal issues aside , what has Briles coached to massive achievements? What has JG done ? We aren’t using our resources. We have the money and location, recruiting and etc. Why aren’t we known for great coaching right now? This was the best from nationwide searches?
Have we ever hired anyone with "massive achievements" prior to them coming here? If so, name them, I'd like to see what those massive achievements were so we can do a comparison.

Both KB and JG had very solid credentials when we hired them and if TCU hadn't hired them, it's very likely another very good program would have. And look at all the assistants out there hired by major programs that don't work out, there are no sure things.

tmcats

Have we ever hired anyone with "massive achievements" prior to them coming here? If so, name them, I'd like to see what those massive achievements were so we can do a comparison.

Both KB and JG had very solid credentials when we hired them and if TCU hadn't hired them, it's very likely another very good program would have. And look at all the assistants out there hired by major programs that don't work out, there are no sure things.
skills are not always transferable either. that's why i admire guys like mark few and bob mckillop. two great mbb coaches who understood not to mess with excellence in search of exceptional.

100% agree "there are no sure things" in coaching hires or in life for that matter. the fit has to be right. patterson at tcu and snyder at k-state were two good football examples.

Wexahu

skills are not always transferable either. that's why i admire guys like mark few and bob mckillop. two great mbb coaches who understood not to mess with excellence in search of exceptional.

100% agree "there are no sure things" in coaching hires or in life for that matter. the fit has to be right. patterson at tcu and snyder at k-state were two good football examples.
And everyone is complaining about how awful our OC hire was. The guy that replaced him at Arkansas has already been fired 7 games into his first season. So our guy must be a hell of a lot better than him, and he had some decent stuff on his resume.

Nobody has any patience for anything. I know, if you absolutely KNOW the guy isn't going to work out, cutting bait sooner rather than later is often the best thing you can do, but having a constant revolving door of head coaches and coordinators is the stuff of [ Finebaum ]ty programs.

tmcats

And everyone is complaining about how awful our OC hire was. The guy that replaced him at Arkansas has already been fired 7 games into his first season. So our guy must be a hell of a lot better than him, and he had some decent stuff on his resume.

Nobody has any patience for anything. I know, if you absolutely KNOW the guy isn't going to work out, cutting bait sooner rather than later is often the best thing you can do, but having a constant revolving door of head coaches and coordinators is the stuff of [ Finebaum ]ty programs.

as i wrote earlier, klieman was 4-6 his second year at k-state. lost to arkansas state in the opener and finished on a five game losing streak including 0-45 to iowa state. yes, a little patience is in order both here and in lubbock..

Hemingway

as i wrote earlier, klieman was 4-6 his second year at k-state. lost to arkansas state in the opener and finished on a five game losing streak including 0-45 to iowa state. yes, a little patience is in order both here and in lubbock..

So you think JG is working out? This is all some process?

Wexahu

So you think JG is working out? This is all some process?
I don't know, this year has not been good.

I thought they did about as well as one could expect last year given the lack of personnel on the D-line. And you would have hoped for better this year, but there are still MAJOR deficiencies in the front 3. I wish he'd mix things up more and bring more pressure, but when you do that you're gonna expose another part of the D. I don't have all the answers but he'll have to start figuring things out soon, that's for sure.

I guess I'm not quite ready to say the guy sucks and we need to move on from him asap. But many (if any) more performances like Saturday and my mind can be changed. Firing him mid-season would be stupid though IMO.

Limey Frog

Oh, right. Absolutely no way he'll accept it after the season for an $8M/yr. contract, then.

Limey Frog

he's turned down interest from nebraska, purdue, and michigan state (twice). the only job in that league he'd take is iowa, perhaps, his home state.
Brian Ferentz's contract will be dissolved at Iowa. I think there's a very good chance that Kirk just retires rather than admit he was wrong about his son. Better than 50/50 odds the Iowa job is open, imo. That said, they'd be as likely as not to just promote the DC, Parker.

tmcats

Brian Ferentz's contract will be dissolved at Iowa. I think there's a very good chance that Kirk just retires rather than admit he was wrong about his son. Better than 50/50 odds the Iowa job is open, imo. That said, they'd be as likely as not to just promote the DC, Parker.
coach klieman is closely tied to gene taylor, k-state's a.d. i doubt he'd leave taylor after he promoted klieman to head coach at ndsu and then k-state. they are like brothers. taylor is 65. klieman 56.

Limey Frog

there's more to life than money. that's hard to understand for people who don't have it.

maslow-s-hierarchy-of-needs--scalable-vector-illustration-655400474-5c6a47f246e0fb000165cb0a.jpg
Thank you for this graphic that basically everyone is already familiar with.

Maybe he wants a chance to win a Big Ten championship and compete seriously in the playoff? Do you have a neat little graph of how much more likely Michigan State is to win the Big Ten than Kansas State?