• The KillerFrogs

Damonic Williams to enter transfer portal

froginaustin

We're going to need to adopt the Florida Marlins championship model. Save all the monies for a decade or more, and spend it all on one year for a shot at the crown every 10-15 years.
I feel like this is kind of what Ole Miss is doing this year -- with a good team returning they went bonkers in the portal. I'm not sure they have the resources to do that year in and year out like Alabama, Georgia or Tennessee do

Maybe Ole Miss is trying to follow the Washington Redskins’ great “the future is now” coach (George Allen IIRC) and do whatever you can to get the best players you can for THIS YEAR and worry about next year, next year.

LSU Game Attendee

The present NIL system cannot last long as sooner rather than later the financial "losses" in this arms race will take its toll. One will see the spenders lap up people like the old days of universities like UT did when there was no scholarship limits.

However the curve of rapid rises in expenses vs actual return on investment begins to break the bank (See Colorado), players begin to leave and overall talent wains. Who will pay then? We are not there yet but this could be the first indicator.

The large universities have a similar problem as NC and the money needed to win them gets ever larger. The NIL is not the school's money after all but rather the alumni. The imbalance is this and this is not sustainable at this rate of increase.
You underestimate how many Aggies are out there

Palliative Care

Yes I do and you are correct they will be like compulsive gambles until the money does not match the outcome. Actually I am counting on the players getting the cash to “under appreciate” their newly obtained fortune and therefore possibly not live up to expectations. The aggies have shown us that already.

McFroggin

Yes I do and you are correct they will be like compulsive gambles until the money does not match the outcome. Actually I am counting on the players getting the cash to “under appreciate” their newly obtained fortune and therefore possibly not live up to expectations. The aggies have shown us that already.

Aggie has been getting cash to players for decades. You need to remember that these big programs have been getting $$$ to players under the table for a long time. Cam Newton has publicly discussed earning hundreds of thousands almost 15 years ago in college. Inflation and the ease of moving money over the last 10 years has really helped things along. Tracking bitcoin, etc is not easy to catch programs. It is easier to discuss openly now with NIL, but Aggie can fund this forever.

froginaustin

Aggie has been getting cash to players for decades. You need to remember that these big programs have been getting $$$ to players under the table for a long time. Cam Newton has publicly discussed earning hundreds of thousands almost 15 years ago in college. Inflation and the ease of moving money over the last 10 years has really helped things along. Tracking bitcoin, etc is not easy to catch programs. It is easier to discuss openly now with NIL, but Aggie can fund this forever.

I refuse to “like” this post but as far as I know the comment is absolutely true and correct.

About 1965 or thereabouts, my dear late father. Ran into Barry Switzer in a hotel bar. The coach had had a highball or 4, and ended up talking about nuts and bolts recruiting.
In those days OU was absolutely paying players’ parents, high school coaches, etc., to facilitate recruiting. Player were paid too, of course. Or Switzer was pulling my old man’s leg.
The successful schools in the B1G do it. Everyone in the SEC does it or tries to. Or so I have heard, except possibly Vandy.
The present situation is the latest version of an old song.

Froggy Style

NIL deals should be for 4 years. If the player accepts the money the player should have to return 3x all money paid if the player wants the rights their Name, Image or Likeness back. That might deter the active poaching of players. Graduation and medical retirement would be exceptions.
Can you imagine if your employer tried to claw three years of salary back? Too extreme. I could see an escalating pay structure or a bonus structure that would incentivize staying.

AustinFrog

If you take a signing bonus or relocation, often times the employer will require a term of service if you accept either or both of those. If you leave before the term specified, the companies can and will deduct those from your last paycheck, and sue if the last check does not cover the deduction.

Non-compete, clauses are also common.

froginmn

If you take a signing bonus or relocation, often times the employer will require a term of service if you accept either or both of those. If you leave before the term specified, the companies can and will deduct those from your last paycheck, and sue if the last check does not cover the deduction.

Non-compete, clauses are also common.
Don't worry; this administration is closing loopholes.

CardFrog

Even if you put a cap in place for NIL $ the point about Aggie paying under the table will still exist. I am resigned that only the schools with big ammo donors are going to succeed going forward.

Wexahu

Even if you put a cap in place for NIL $ the point about Aggie paying under the table will still exist. I am resigned that only the schools with big ammo donors are going to succeed going forward.
Money is not the problem with the game. The free (and now unlimited, lol) transfer thing is. It's ruined it, at least for me. Eliminate that, and almost everything about the game that sucks (IMO) would immediately stop sucking.

I used to pretty much know the entire depth chart, at least to two deep. Followed recruiting, knew a little something about every single scholarship kid. Now, I couldn't name you 10 players on the team because I really don't care. Half of them will be gone within a year anyway and we'll bring another group of malcontents in. Seriously, I just don't see anything compelling about it. I knew my interest would wane but I didn't realize how quickly.

And then you'll ask, why am I here? That's a pretty good question.

froginmn

Aggie is a great rebuttal to your argument, though...

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Money is not the problem with the game. The free (and now unlimited, lol) transfer thing is. It's ruined it, at least for me. Eliminate that, and almost everything about the game that sucks (IMO) would immediately stop sucking.

I used to pretty much know the entire depth chart, at least to two deep. Followed recruiting, knew a little something about every single scholarship kid. Now, I couldn't name you 10 players on the team because I really don't care. Half of them will be gone within a year anyway and we'll bring another group of malcontents in. Seriously, I just don't see anything compelling about it. I knew my interest would wane but I didn't realize how quickly.

And then you'll ask, why am I here? That's a pretty good question.
Don't worry. When you get my age, you won't be able to remember most everything about who's playing.

Names? Why bother? That's why they put numbers on the jerseys.

Just relax, watch/go to games, and just cheer on all the numbers wearing TCU uniforms.

NewFrogFan

Can you imagine if your employer tried to claw three years of salary back? Too extreme. I could see an escalating pay structure or a bonus structure that would incentivize staying.
In the airlines, the “thieves” take the pensions, split them amongst each other, get fired, ride off into sunset.

HG73

Do the players get all their NIL $ in one lump sum? Pay them monthly. When they leave the payments stop.

This will stabilize when the players are paid from TV money and sign contracts. Aggy will still have their own under the table NIL program. Which will continue to be humiliating with their continued mediocre play on the field.

Limey Frog

Don't worry. When you get my age, you won't be able to remember most everything about who's playing.

Names? Why bother? That's why they put numbers on the jerseys.

Just relax, watch/go to games, and just cheer on all the numbers wearing TCU uniforms.
Getting more difficult to even keep track of that, though, with all the uniforms we have now.