• The KillerFrogs

Dallas Coaches Event Recap???

Wexahu

Beer is sold in premium club sections only which is a very small % of total attendance confined to relatively small areas. Premium club pricing could be used for liability and umbrella coverage for this small group or it's possible the food and beverage contractor accepts liability in their contract, don't know. Liquor service liability is real. Serving 45,000 who then get in cars to drive home is a risk. People who bring their own and binge drink in the parking lot are not served by the university. All this could be overcome but there will always be folks who are hesitant to serve the entire stadium because we are a school with a student body the majority of which are not drinking age.

And ironically, the premium club seats are among those that are the most empty during the game.

cdsfrog

And ironically, the premium club seats are among those that are the most empty during the game.

Not club seats. It's the 100 chairbacks. Most are backup seats or owned by corporations. I hate that section. It's infuriating. Best seats in the stadium and they are half full 5 games a year.

300 chairbacks are mostly full every game, same for club. Granted it's always got some missing seats with people getting up for drinks.

Couple things:

- Adding more seats will NOT help the +4 issue. I've been told that there are a small group of donors who still own about 1000 seats that they don't want to give up. At one point, the school considered pulling them because of the waiting list for season tickets and club seats. BUT, if they add more seats, the supply/demand curve will shift again and it will be harder. Unfortunately, TCU BoT and CDC seem to be resigned to the reality that only death, which nobody is hoping for, will solve this issue with these donors.

- On the issue of liability, it isn't just about the insurance policy. But, yes, the BoT have studied this and believe they will need to bump the policy a bit if they sell alcohol throughout the stadium. Moreover, they will need to increase the number of policy officers in the stadium, I don't remember if it was due to an ordnance or just risk protocol but the ratio of fans-to-security official would have to go up which costs $$.

Again, $1.3mm in net revenue for UT... Would you add beer if it only got you $700k a year? That's less than 1% of athletic department revenue.

http://www.hookem.com/story/texas-fans-drink-alcohol-sales-jumped-70-percent-2016/

netty2424

Couple things:

- Adding more seats will NOT help the +4 issue. I've been told that there are a small group of donors who still own about 1000 seats that they don't want to give up. At one point, the school considered pulling them because of the waiting list for season tickets and club seats. BUT, if they add more seats, the supply/demand curve will shift again and it will be harder. Unfortunately, TCU BoT and CDC seem to be resigned to the reality that only death, which nobody is hoping for, will solve this issue with these donors.

- On the issue of liability, it isn't just about the insurance policy. But, yes, the BoT have studied this and believe they will need to bump the policy a bit if they sell alcohol throughout the stadium. Moreover, they will need to increase the number of policy officers in the stadium, I don't remember if it was due to an ordnance or just risk protocol but the ratio of fans-to-security official would have to go up which costs $$.

Again, $1.3mm in net revenue for UT... Would you add beer if it only got you $700k a year? That's less than 1% of athletic department revenue.

http://www.hookem.com/story/texas-fans-drink-alcohol-sales-jumped-70-percent-2016/
IF it put butts in seats and kept them there ultimately improving game experience, then yes.

YA

Wyoming is selling beer/wine starting this year. Start selling 2 hours before the game and stops at the start of the 4Q. Wrist bands
with 4 pull off tabs. The max one could drink is fhe 4 unless someone buys for you.

If Wyoming off all places and smu can sell it, so could TCU.

Dogfrog

Wyoming is selling beer/wine starting this year. Start selling 2 hours before the game and stops at the start of the 4Q. Wrist bands
with 4 pull off tabs. The max one could drink is fhe 4 unless someone buys for you.

Two couples go and get 16 drink tabs. The wives Use one each, leaving 14 for the two guys.

I think these are two distinct separate issues maybe more.

1. TCU has a revenue, stay in Big Boy Conference, get chosen for realignment, recruiting problems with too small stadium, Etc. problem by not having more seats to sell and more total people paying for parking concessions etc.

2. The second problem has nothing to do with the first problem getting Fans who buy seats to come to game on time, stay the whole time, and not leave early. This problem is not the one I am discussing at all. Everyone's ideas are good selling beer, no-reentry?, better in game experience, better wifi, etc. Winning team helps a ton.

2. My only suggest on problem 2 would be to have tickets donated to Project Purple or whatever that group is. Get those tickets to local High School kids who have a 3.0 GPA and higher, put a TCU shirt on them, recognize them at the game, create young fans for life. Fill the seats up build new young fan base. The teachers would get free tickets to chaperon and parents etc.

1. Problem 1 is to me separate. If we sell more season tickets walk up tickets it it more revenue. Even if we lower prices a little having more volume will make more total dollars. The fact there might or will be more empty seats has to be solved another way. TCU is in an arms race against, bigger, better, more well funded, higher revenue, higher profit schools. I think the bigger the stadium the better even if we have to tarp sections who cares. We have some huge games we can sell every ticket we have to fans ours or the other teams. We have a waiting list of season ticket holders we are sold out of all seats we sell each season. TCU keeps some back for walk ups single game etc.

1. No one knows how many more people want season tickets the waiting list does not reflect demand. Most people won't sign up for a waiting list they assume they will never get a chance. The more we can shrink the revenue gap, the larger the stadium, the better. Recruits will like it, alumni will like it, Fans will like it, finances will love it, it could be a major reason we are one of the 64 teams left standing when the rumored 64 team super conference happens. Our conference is so unstable if Texas starts winning again with Herman they may go independent at any time. No one trusts Texas or OU. Ou could bail to SEC just to have the same revenue as other teams in conference. The sooner TCU does everything it can to be bigger better and more competitive the happier I will be.

Go Frogs Think Big, Dream Big, Build a Big Giant Stadium and that fans will come!!!!!

frog-hat

never giving up my +4 now

McFroggin

They have done it in basketball allowing students to take empty seats after (1st Q?), with the understanding that if the ticket holder shows up they have to move.

Football is a much different scale. We would need to at least triple staff to help with frequent seating issues, especially if only a 5 minute window as the poster suggested.

The ticket checkers on the west side are already overwhelmed creating a bottleneck.

I'm not interested in bigger stadiums and beer sales. The one thing that pisses me off is a half full stadium at the start of the second half. CDC basically said that we have more people interested in drinking and partying than watching a football game. It won't change and my opinion on the subject won't either.

Endless Purple

Couple of thoughts that might help or not.

1) no reentry after the 3rd quarter starts.

2) use the wrist bands for beer sales, but they stop issuing them at 5 min before kickoff. Thus you need to be in the stadium for kickoff to get one.

This will NEVER change, so why do we fight it? We are over 50% female in alumni and students. Compared to other schools, we have a more white collar fan base. Our fans see football as much a social event as a sport.

If we ban re-entry, fans will not return, and our stadium will be more empty. Give it up.

Such a SWC left behind-WAC conference thought process. I totally disagree. Ban re-entry but give passes to season ticket holders for re-entry. Two passes for the whole season per seat. Exceptions also can be made for certain situations.

Kill the culture of leaving at half time. Most football stadiums around the nation don't allow you to leave or most fans bases never leave at halftime. They party before and after. Make the tailgating longer before and after. Possibly sell beer in the stadium. This leaving at half time is ridiculous.

I've seen TCU grow up from SMU culture to now filling the stadium. TCU needs to keep on moving the right direction. Continue to evolve, it is amazing how much it has changed already and it can get even better. It will be difficult at first. Lot of you will hate it. Probably everyone that liked your post, but then it will be part of a football day. It's that simple.

Last edited:

smufrogger

Such a SWC left behind-WAC conference thought process. I totally disagree. Ban re-entry but give passes to season ticket holders for re-entry. Two passes for the whole season per seat. Exceptions also can be made for certain situations.

Kill the culture of leaving at half time. Most football stadiums around the nation don't allow you to leave or most fans bases never leave at halftime. They party before and after. Make the tailgating longer before and after. Possibly sell beer in the stadium. This leaving at half time is ridiculous.

I've seen TCU grow up from SMU culture to now filling the stadium. TCU needs to keep on moving the right direction. Continue to evolve, it is amazing how much it has changed already and it can get even better. It will be difficult at first. Lot of you will hate it. Probably everyone that liked your post, but then it will be part of a football day. It's that simple.

I
As an easy sider- I go to the car at halftime to cool off and change a shirt if needed. To have to stay in the stadium when it an oven inside- sorry- but no.
Until they get sun awnings they better not have a no entry policy

Jet Set Frog

Tailgating is a problem but it's outright delusional to pretend thats the main problem. A tiny total living alumni (50% live out of state), a private school with a tiny t-shirt base(10x smaller than UT/Bama), and living in an urban areas with several professional teams all affect attendance.

In some areas a college football game is by far the best thing to do even for casual fans. Can't say the same for DFW with plenty of competing options. Our next two biggest cities that have a lot of alumni (Houston and Austin) have tons of great things to do as well.

I agree with your point that TCU has to compete with a lot of other draws, but the fact is the stadium DOES fill up for parts of the games, and is empty for others. It's hard to blame that on people leaving at half time to go to a Dallas Stars game, then changing their mind half way there, driving back to AGC, and going back to their seats half way through the third quarter.

Mean Purple

Not really a whole lot. Schloss told a funny, and depressing, story about a note he received after we lost to Kansas in the 1st round Big 12 tournament. Basically somebody left a note saying that he should quit coaching.

Dixon didn't say a whole lot really. Just said things are looking up.

Not much from the Patterson camp either. He rambled a lot... talked about getting death threats and said he likes that it shows passion or something. Literally no talk of the team.

Roditi sounded kind of depressed. Looked like a guy who knows the best player we will likely ever have is gone and we wasted the opportunity.

Del Conte definitely had the most information.
-- No new scoreboard until the funds are in place to build suites/expand the East side. He wants to do it all at once, hopes construction is done by time 2019 season starts. Said it's hard to compete against 90k-100k stadiums.

-- No Big 12 network in foreseeable future or any other service.

-- Eliminating in/out of stadium is currently in discussion. Sounds like Patterson is pissed about attendance (win games!)

-- Mentioned all the opportunities coaches have had to leave. Sounds like Roditi turned down the Virginia job (#1 job in the country).

-- Said the reason for Ohio St game was twofold - 1) Patterson doesn't want to play them because it makes winning a NC much more difficult 2) Economically earns us $5MM for one game. We make $1MM per home game. Also said this is why prices didn't increase.

-- Mentioned that he doesn't want to increase baseball pricing.

-- Lots of mention of money... said the facilities are paid for by donor money. Have to wonder where the excess TV money is going and why we seem so cash strapped.
Death Threats?
Baylor people are rape enablers AND psychos.

Wexahu

="Additionally, we now live in an age where a large number of games are available on television. Not just games in general, but look at the number of TCU games that you now can watch from the comfort of your home to speak and not deal with parking, traffic, crowds, etc..... It is tough to draw the casual fan to the stadium unless they really have a reason to come to the game..

Every sports league is battling this. They make a ton of money on TV rights, but it comes at the expense of making it harder and harder to convince the casual fan to make it to the game. HD technology and being able to keep up with all the other games is tough to beat.

Invite a bunch of buddies over, set up the 70-inch TV in the garage, re-create somewhat of a tailgate in the driveway....it's not a bad way to take in a game, at a very small fraction of the cost of going. Everything is more convenient, the bathroom is right there, no long drives or fighting traffic, your wives can go inside and gossip, etc. When you take what the all-in costs are for 20 people to go to a game and think about what kind of game watching party you could throw at someone's house with that same amount of money, it kind of gets you thinking a bit.