• The KillerFrogs

Daily Skiff: Non-BCS schools have weaker schedules

PurpleBlood87

When you allready have games scheduled against SMU, Baylor, UNLV, Colorado State, New Mexico & SDSU, you don't need Tennessee Tech as well. We could have done a one & done with a C-USA, WAC, or Sunbelt team. We could have done a home & home with a bottom feeding BCS team like SMU did with Washington State. Or we could have gone on the road and played a top team in a one & done. All would have been preferable to the glorified practice that occured last saturday.

I applaud the skiff for asking the retorical question, "why are we playing Tenn Tech?"
Why don't you take that up with Coach Patterson and learn to spell.

micahjh

Strength of Schedule is a giant smoke screen, used to try and help lend some legitimacy to a system that needs it desperately. Why is SOS bogus, you might ask? Well because a teams SOS is based on the rankings of the other teams they play. Rankings are a purely poltical function determined by votes from coaches and sports writers. So the system uses votes and a computer formula based on votes, to dtermine whos the best. And thats diferent from pure votes how?

I almost prefer the old days, when the fact that its was purely political process was much more transparent. Now its just as political, only its disguised as a legitimate, merit based system.

It should always be pointed out that the computer formulas are flawed because they are based on votes, but instead SOS and the BCS computers are presented as some sort of neutral, objective measure of quality, which is a total farce.

West Coast Johnny

Why don't you take that up with Coach Patterson and learn to spell.

Spelling smack - way to validate my arguement with ad hominem. Would you mind delivering this to Gary Patterson - Dear Gary. Real football fans like to see good games, not 60 point beatdowns of D2 teams. Other than this, you are doing a great job.

Frogo

I do not know the writer, but I assume he is a student writer for a student newspaper. Cut him some slack.

I agree that he's bought into the ubiquitous meme that "non-BCS" schools play an easier schedule, and, yes, it would have been nice if he'd questioned that meme and compared the easy schedules of many BE/ACC and other "BCS" schools. But he's a student for God's sake.

I would hope the same rule about criticizing TCU football players on this board might extend to other TCU students, too.

Dogfrog

He's learning well. What better way to jockey for a job offer at ESPN than to undermine TCU's accomplishments with no backup data? After all, journalism is no longer about reporting the truth, it's about willingness to echo the corporate mantra.

D

Daniel Plainview

I do not know the writer, but I assume he is a student writer for a student newspaper. Cut him some slack.

I agree that he's bought into the ubiquitous meme that "non-BCS" schools play an easier schedule, and, yes, it would have been nice if he'd questioned that meme and compared the easy schedules of many BE/ACC and other "BCS" schools. But he's a student for God's sake.

I would hope the same rule about criticizing TCU football players on this board might extend to other TCU students, too.

No, Skiff writers get no respect because they are retards like this...

He called TCU's winningest QB a guy who "can't win you a game but can only manage it"

The skiff has a bunch of [ swishy ] who don't know anything about sports work for it.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Spelling smack - way to validate my arguement with ad hominem. Would you mind delivering this to Gary Patterson - Dear Gary. Real football fans like to see good games, not 60 point beatdowns of D2 teams. Other than this, you are doing a great job.

Real football fans know that Tenn Tech is not D2.......

50FT FROG

He's learning well. What better way to jockey for a job offer at ESPN than to undermine TCU's accomplishments with no backup data? After all, journalism is no longer about reporting the truth, it's about willingness to echo the corporate mantra.
can't believe: 1: this got by an editor ..... and 2. this was even written

dogfrog, you left rice off of ut's list of cupcakes.

only thing left was for this "writer" to do was criticize attendance
what a hack.

P

peterbecket

When you allready have games scheduled against SMU, Baylor, UNLV, Colorado State, New Mexico & SDSU, you don't need Tennessee Tech as well. We could have done a one & done with a C-USA, WAC, or Sunbelt team. We could have done a home & home with a bottom feeding BCS team like SMU did with Washington State. Or we could have gone on the road and played a top team in a one & done. All would have been preferable to the glorified practice that occured last saturday.

I applaud the skiff for asking the retorical question, "why are we playing Tenn Tech?"

Seriously, think about what you are saying. One of the teams you listed was a bowl team and Colorado State played in a bowl the year before. Take a look at Florida or A$M's worst teams. You sir have a double standard.

And by the way we already know what the good MWC teams do...beat SEC, Big 12 and PAC 10 teams.

It is amazing that some of you will not stop pumping the BcS while downgrading TCU. But as I have said ad nauseum lets not let winning or results get in the way of our liitle pre conceived notions.

CGP made the right decision to play Tenn Tech as we needed that game considering what we might be facing this season. At the very least it was good for our 2nd and 3rd team players down the road.