• The KillerFrogs

Daily Skiff: Non-BCS schools have weaker schedules

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By Ryan Osborne
Staff Writer

The Horned Frog 62-7 win over Tennessee Tech University last Saturday night was impressive. The Frogs moved the ball at will, played steady defense and, excluding a penalty-filled patch of plays in the second quarter, played a disciplined brand of football. The only question after the game is why was Tennessee Tech even on the schedule?

Critics point to the weaker schedules of non-Bowl Championship Series conference schools of TCU and Boise State University as the reason why they should be left out of the national championship picture. All teams in college football's top division, whether they are in a BCS conference or not, should have an equal chance to win a national championship, but those critics do have a point. ...

Dogfrog

Did somebody mention that Big Steaming Pile is associated with the journalism faculty at TCU? I'm guessing he edited this piece. No problem with stating an opinion, but whatever happened to backing it up with some research and facts?

HFrog1999

Dear College Football Media all over the world. We know TCU's schedule in the MWC isn't as tough as an SEC schedule. Why don't you try comparing it to a Big East or ACC schedule? Last I heard those "Powerhouse" conferences were Automatic Qualifiers. Also, why don't you look at the attendance in the Big East before you start knocking TCU's attendance?!?!?!? Have some integrity "journalists" please! :rolleyes:

SnoSki

Dear College Football Media all over the world. We know TCU's schedule in the MWC isn't as tough as an SEC schedule. Why don't you try comparing it to a Big East or ACC schedule? Last I heard those "Powerhouse" conferences were Automatic Qualifiers. Also, why don't you look at the attendance in the Big East before you start knocking TCU's attendance?!?!?!? Have some integrity "journalists" please! :rolleyes:

NO joke... this is my pet peeve #1. We're (MWC conference is) not better than the SWC, but it is better than Big East and maybe ACC. I was glad to hear Fowler and Desmond Howard make that argument last weekend. Herbie and Corso didn't have an answer for that.

P

peterbecket

Did somebody mention that Big Steaming Pile is associated with the journalism faculty at TCU? I'm guessing he edited this piece. No problem with stating an opinion, but whatever happened to backing it up with some research and facts?

LOL!!

P

peterbecket

By Ryan Osborne
Staff Writer

The Horned Frog 62-7 win over Tennessee Tech University last Saturday night was impressive. The Frogs moved the ball at will, played steady defense and, excluding a penalty-filled patch of plays in the second quarter, played a disciplined brand of football. The only question after the game is why was Tennessee Tech even on the schedule?

Critics point to the weaker schedules of non-Bowl Championship Series conference schools of TCU and Boise State University as the reason why they should be left out of the national championship picture. All teams in college football's top division, whether they are in a BCS conference or not, should have an equal chance to win a national championship, but those critics do have a point. ...

This has to be the dumbest article ever. Texas got into the BCS CG by only playing one top 25 team on their regular season schedule. The MWC has been tougher than most of the BCS conferences the last two years. The jury is still out this year. What a double standard. Is that you little ball of hate?

HFrog1999

This has to be the dumbest article ever. Texas got into the BCS CG by only playing one top 25 team on their regular season schedule. The MWC has been tougher than most of the BCS conferences the last two years. The jury is still out this year. What a double standard. Is that you little ball of hate?
JFE (the little ball of hate) despises the BcS with a passion.

Burner1

Tier 1
Our schedule in fact is not very strong this year, and it may in fact keep us out of the national title game, if we win all the games. But coach wants an easy game each year and I'm not the one to question his methods. As the article mentioned, we do have some top teams scheduled over the next five years.

tcudoc

I don't necessarily disagree with all of his points. I too wish Tennessee Tech and other (formerly known as) Div I-AA schools were never on the schedule. I just wish that whoever is the editor would actually do their job. If they are supposedly journalism majors, they should get some guidance on how to write and do some checking.

What is Virginia Tech University? If he is going to not use their preferred shortened name, he should at least use their correct full name and not invent one (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University). Why does he say that BSU controls their own destiny and then disprove it in the next sentence with the mention of the loss to James Madison?

Dogfrog

Our schedule in fact is not very strong this year, and it may in fact keep us out of the national title game, if we win all the games. But coach wants an easy game each year and I'm not the one to question his methods. As the article mentioned, we do have some top teams scheduled over the next five years.

Most schools play these easy games.

Texas - Florida Atlantic
Tech - Weber State
A&M -SFA, Florida International, La. Tech
Baylor - Sam Houston, Buffalo, A&M

FrogAbroad

I did a quick worksheet of FBS SOS rankings based on the statistics at www.collegefootballpoll.com. This early in the season SOS is still more art than science, but I've found this site's rankings to be as good as anyone's and better than most.

Averaging the SOS for conferences, here's what I get for each one:

ACC-Atlantic 34.8
ACC-Coastal 29.3
ACC 32.1

Big 10 66.9

Big 12-North 39.7
Big 12-South 22.3
Big 12 31.0

Big East 72.0

CUSA-East 76.7
CUSA-West 89.5
CUSA 83.1

MAC-East 97.9
MAC-West 102.0
MAC 99.8

MWC 48.1

PAC-10 24.4

SEC-East 23.7
SEC-West 24.7
SEC 24.2

Sun Belt 103.0

WAC 81.1

Comparing these numbers, the MWC's SOS is superior to the Big East and the Big 10, and trails the Big 12-North at a respectable distance.

It's also evident, and certainly not news to any thinking person, that SOS isn't a non-AQ conference's primary strength.

But to take that fact and jump to the conclusion that no non-AQ program, merely by virtue of being non-AQ, is inherently unworthy of compparison with a cartel member is just as absurd as stating "Mexicans speak Spanish" and concluding there are no Mexicans able to speak any language but Spanish.

West Coast Johnny

When you allready have games scheduled against SMU, Baylor, UNLV, Colorado State, New Mexico & SDSU, you don't need Tennessee Tech as well. We could have done a one & done with a C-USA, WAC, or Sunbelt team. We could have done a home & home with a bottom feeding BCS team like SMU did with Washington State. Or we could have gone on the road and played a top team in a one & done. All would have been preferable to the glorified practice that occured last saturday.

I applaud the skiff for asking the retorical question, "why are we playing Tenn Tech?"

D

Daniel Plainview

He lost all credibility in the title.

Were a Non-AQ in the BCS.

we are not a "non-bcs"

talor

Does anybody know Ryan Osborne personally? Please go piss on his rug ala 'Big Lebowski'

I try to tolerate ignorance from other teams and their fans, but I hate it when someone associated with something I love is this freaking stupid.