• The KillerFrogs

Daily Skiff: Admission applications hit record high

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Daily Skiff: Admission applications hit record high

By Maddie Tasker
Staff Reporter

Admission applications for the 2011-2012 school year have already passed last year's record of 14,075 and have shown no sign of slowing down, Dean of Admission Ray Brown said.

With one application deadline left, the number of applicants was near 16,000 last Wednesday. Brown projected that the final number of applicants would reach 18,000 after the Feb. 15 deadline.

The record-breaking number of applicants to the university has increased selectivity and created challenges for the Office of Admission, Brown said.

With the number of applications received and the limited number of spots available, TCU would not have to extend admission offers to as many applicants, Brown said. But at the same time, the university did not want to become overly selective.

"We don't want to change the culture of this institution," Brown said. "You always want to get better, but you don't want to change the essence of this place." ...

FrogAbroad

Target class size- 1,800

Last year:

Total applications received- 14,075

Applications accepted- 7,400

Students enrolled- 1,821

I'm not sure I understand those figures. Do they mean that TCU told 7,400 applicants they could enroll, but 5,579 decided to go elsewhere? That would mean 25% of those offered accepted. Somehow that just doesn't sound reasonable, hence my confusion.

purpleraider

Target class size- 1,800

Last year:

Students enrolled- 1,821

I'm not sure I understand those figures. Do they mean that TCU told 7,400 applicants they could enroll, but 5,579 decided to go elsewhere? That would mean 25% of those offered accepted. Somehow that just doesn't sound reasonable, hence my confusion.

most of that probably has to do with money.

neo926

That's what that means. So if this year we accepted 7,000 and had 18,000, that would mean an acceptance rate of 38%, which isn't too bad (I think when I was accepted in 2000 it was more like 65%). For comparison's sake, a school like Northwestern has an acceptance rate of around 25%.

Planks

Target class size- 1,800

Last year:

Students enrolled- 1,821

Sounds about right to me. With online applications, students will apply to schools that that they don't have much interest in. I applied to ten schools online, but in reality there were only two to three schools that I was seriously considering.

Another factor that plays a big role is money. TCU is expensive enough that a student's decision to attend TCU is often contigent upon how much scholarship money TCU is willing to give them. I know that basically every single student from my high school that has applied to TCU over the past few years has fallen into this category.

FROGSnDOGS

Target class size- 1,800

Last year:

Students enrolled- 1,821

That's probably about right...most students apply to 3 or 4 schools and then decide from there. Believe it or not, not everyone chooses TCU.

nick

That's probably about right...most students apply to 3 or 4 schools and then decide from there. Believe it or not, not everyone chooses TCU.
The average for students today is 5 different schools. TCU as of today has received over 16,000 applications.

AEAfrog

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not....

but the journalism dept. is coming on strong - bob schieffer and dan jenkins certainly don't hurt that!

The journalism dept. is moving forward like the rest of the university. The Skiff doesn't reflect that. Too much apathy/sloppiness from those involved.

stell91

I don't understand all the animosity towards the Daily Skiff.. I read it every day and I don't see the problem with it. Maybe they don't screen contributors or their articles as much as they should before publishing but the features are usually pretty good and there are always a few good articles.. My friend who works for whatever Bevo's student newspaper is called sends me their paper every now and then and it doesn't seem that different from the skiff.

AEAfrog

I don't understand all the animosity towards the Daily Skiff.. I read it every day and I don't see the problem with it. Maybe they don't screen contributors or their articles as much as they should before publishing but the features are usually pretty good and there are always a few good articles.. My friend who works for whatever Bevo's student newspaper is called sends me their paper every now and then and it doesn't seem that different from the skiff.

Mostly poor editing. Too many errors that your average middle schooler would catch with just a cursory glance. That, and the fact that a good portion of the students that are part of it would rather not be. Just isn't conducive to a good work product.