• The KillerFrogs

D Magazine: TCU’s Ambitions Are Bigger Than the Iron Skillet, and North Texas is Worse For it

Deep Purple

CFB Thrives on playing local rivalries within easy drives that are full of passion and hate because everyone at the water cooler on Monday has a stake in it. I know most of you dont know the days of the SWC but THAT is what CFB was all about! Everybody in the state had a team they rooted for wether they attended or not because the schools also represented your family, your city, your region, your religion or your politics and every game was important because for the next 364 days you gained or lost bragging rights over your spouse, your dad, your cousin, your step brother, your co-worker, your best friend etc.

Now instead we all pretend we care about games with teams from 5 states away who you’ve never met more than one or two alumni of in your life instead of admitting the truth which is that if CFB was played like it should be, our conference schedule would be A&M, UT, SMU, BU, TT, Rice, UH and UTSA playing a round robin schedule with the winner getting an auto bid to the Cotton Bowl as the first round of the CFP. All with an equal TV revenue sharing deal.

I hear you, but -- with respect -- you're living in the past. TCU decision-makers are trying to anticipate the future and plan a successful path through it.

Frog-in-law1995

Just saw a “For the 214” billboard with football players on it on the north freeway. Assume it’s for SMU but it didn’t say (or I couldn’t see it). Poorly designed ad, and just a terrible idea to put that message up in Fort Worth. Must’ve demoted last year’s game day stadium operations guy to advertising this year.

tcudoc

It has a biblical meaning as well as a military meaning.
1692745922801.jpegThe military meaning is a form related to separation from military service and can serve as proof of service.
I just looked up the significance of 214 and these were the non area code of Dallas things that came up. If it didn’t have SMU on it anywhere, my guess is that it relates to the angel 214 meaning.

OICU812

It has a biblical meaning as well as a military meaning.
View attachment 14697The military meaning is a form related to separation from military service and can serve as proof of service.
I just looked up the significance of 214 and these were the non area code of Dallas things that came up. If it didn’t have SMU on it anywhere, my guess is that it relates to the angel 214 meaning.
Those are certainly plausible but also consider we do have a game coming up against Smoo. “For the 214,” could be a rallying cry for vengeance. Maybe there were many more dead hookers than we previously knew.

puckster59

“But nothing short of multiple national titles could ever compel people outside of North Texas to care about TCU football as fervently as those in Dallas and Fort Worth do for that Saturday each fall when two fanbases come together and loathe the hell out of each other and watch their football teams make a memory.”

This is laughable.
Yes, it is.
My loathing has never been confined to one week, and it will continue fervently.